Lump in Your Throat

I stop eating the minute I have a hint of the lump and wait until it totally goes away before I take another bite. If I don't it only gets worse and pretty soon it is hard to talk and obvious that I feel uncomfortable.

I stop eating the minute I have a hint of the lump and wait until it totally goes away before I take another bite. If I don't it only gets worse and pretty soon it is hard to talk and obvious that I feel uncomfortable.

My lump doesn't start until after my meal and stays for a good 2-3 hours. My surgeon told me that it's contraction of the esophagus muscle when the pouch is full. I can barely drink water during this period and was wondering if it ever goes away? Or if anyone else gets this after a meal?

Cathy,

I know that this is off topic. But I just wanted to tell you that I think it is amazing that you spend the time to post and answer so many questions on this forum. I think that you are helping ease so many fears for people. I think it is great. I just wanted to say thanks to you for all your time and effort. Keep up the good work!!!! Oh, and congrats on your progress. You are doing amazing!!!! Natalie

Cathy,

I know that this is off topic. But I just wanted to tell you that I think it is amazing that you spend the time to post and answer so many questions on this forum. I think that you are helping ease so many fears for people. I think it is great. I just wanted to say thanks to you for all your time and effort. Keep up the good work!!!! Oh, and congrats on your progress. You are doing amazing!!!! Natalie

Thanks Natalie, you are so sweet...I just love everyone who comes here for support and to give support. We are all friends and support one another through the good times and the tough times. It's what this is all about. I love to give back what I have received in the past few months, pay it forward I guess.

I have been successful to-date with my band, as others have and if we can help out in anyway, we're happy to do it!!

Good Luck Natalie!!!

I get the lump every time I eat. It feels like the top of a milk jug is stuck in the back of my throat. It doesnt hurt but it is uncomfortable. I think it is because I've eaten too much. I still dont have the 'mental button' that tells me I've had enough and should stop eating about 8 bites before I do. I also wake up with the lump sometimes. What I did find (2 weeks after surgery) was that I thought it was gas trapped so I would take a Phayzme. Sometimes that does help, the other times, I grin and bear it and kick myself for eating too much.

Hope this helps.

I get the lump every time I eat. It feels like the top of a milk jug is stuck in the back of my throat. It doesnt hurt but it is uncomfortable. I think it is because I've eaten too much. I still dont have the 'mental button' that tells me I've had enough and should stop eating about 8 bites before I do. I also wake up with the lump sometimes. What I did find (2 weeks after surgery) was that I thought it was gas trapped so I would take a Phayzme. Sometimes that does help, the other times, I grin and bear it and kick myself for eating too much.

Hope this helps.

Hi Cathy, you may or maynot be overeating...I don't overeat, I barely eat a thing and it happens. My surgeon said it's the esophagus muscle contracting when the pouch is full. I have had since day one after surgery even on liquids it happens...it's a good thing, it's my body's way of telling me to stop eating, but like you say, it's annoying at times.