Cost of Food

I am single and I live on my own, in a very expensive city! So in saying that I am on a budget. Has anyone noticed their grocery bill dincline since being banded, besides the obvious of not being able to eat as much.

What I mean is are the protein shakes and vitamins and everything else that is needed afterwards just as expensive as buying food? or do you find that you are still spending about the same?

Thanks

Jenelle

I am not banded yet.. But the cost for the pre-op diet is deffinately cheaper than fast food daily. Since you can only drink the first week or so that helps with food costs..Also the mush food is cheaper..LOL I have been stocking up for the 6-8 weeks after and it is much cheaper. I am a family of 5 and I spend about 175 per week. I just did shopping and only spent 125. Just alittle FYI.

Thanks Kim, thats a good idea to start stocking up now! I know my bill will be lower than it is now but I thought I would throw it out there. I know that protein shakes can be a little on the high side, if im thinking of the right stuff!!

Good luck to you and I cant wait to see how you do over the next few weeks

Jenelle

I spend WAAAAY less of food since being banded. Even my morning starbucks went from a venti to a tall and in the last couple months I only stop a couple times a week. I've just lost the "desire" for that morning fix.

Literally a can of refried beans and 2 oz of cheese can be 4 meals for me. Seriously. one chicken thigh is a meal. A can of clam chowder soup is 2 meals. I will eat a tomato from the garden sliced with a little grated parmesan on top and that's a snack. When I indulge and buy a 99cent bag of puffy cheetos it lasts 2 days.

For the first 4 months I bought protein shakes and they added to my food costs but over the last 2 mos I have really weaned myself off of them but keep them on hand for when I'm about to start my period and my band tightens up, which for me means I can't get much down.

If I didn't live with a man I'm guessing my weekly grocery bill would be around $25. Now when I buy food I buy great quality/tasting cheese, organic veggies and stuff that I really savor when I eat it.

I hope this helps :) I have come to the conclusion that the first 6 mos of the band is entirely a learning experience AFTER 6 mos is when you really settle into the new and improved you. That's just my experience.

Good luck, keep us posted.

I think I spend more because I find myself eating more crab legs, shrimp etc...When I was able to enjoy creamy soups I lived on cream of crab which is about $7 a bowl. When I have a fill (only had 1 so far) I need to go back to the creamy soup stage and go back to the cream of crab soup.

I buy food now that I did not buy before (healthy food0 and I still buy the same stuff for the family. So my grocery bill did not go up or down really. However, when we go out to eat, which we do alot, I hardly ever order a meal. I usally just pick off the plates of my kids and husband. I also just order water because your not supose to drink while you eat so there is no point in wasting 2 to 3 bucks on something you should not drink aways. So we have saved money. No big restraunt lunches either.

Guest CaraMBA09
Thanks Kim, thats a good idea to start stocking up now! I know my bill will be lower than it is now but I thought I would throw it out there. I know that protein shakes can be a little on the high side, if im thinking of the right stuff!!

Good luck to you and I cant wait to see how you do over the next few weeks

Jenelle

BOY have I saved money! I am now saving $20-25 per week not spending at Starbucks, I purchase my ready made protein drinks (Myoplex Lite) at walmart, my Myoplex Lite packets online through www.wholesalesupplements ($1.75 per pack) and have not been grocery shopping as the freezer is full for the hub and kids. I happen to be a grocery store addict. I can spend HOURS going to a market and lollygagging at all the cheeses, things I can bake, creating menus...and before you know it, I have spent $120-150 per trip sometimes 2x per week...it is probably like an addiction, as I have discovered these past two weeks, that 70% of my hunger is MENTAL!

I actually ended up with an extra $250.00 leftover from this past paycheck!

I have now been making all my own soups...specifically that wonderful Cream of Potato soup from Kim2bslim's mommas recipe and the chicken tortilla (minus the chips) soup. portion it up and it comes out to about .50 per 1 cup serving.

OH yea, YOU will save money Jenelle!

C

Guest CaraMBA09
I think I spend more because I find myself eating more crab legs, shrimp etc...When I was able to enjoy creamy soups I lived on cream of crab which is about $7 a bowl. When I have a fill (only had 1 so far) I need to go back to the creamy soup stage and go back to the cream of crab soup.

KIMMY!

Cream of Crab soup? Say it isn't so! Do you have the recipe? Because I have REALLY missed my crab! I have one more week till I eat solids, but am thinking of going slowly.

Let me know!

Cara

Cara,

Yep cream of crab soup. Soooo good. Because I live in Maryland we have lots of crab shacks and I usually just pick up a bowl at a local restaurant, so I don't really have a recipe for it.

At one point it seemed kind of expensive so I did look for a recipe and there were lots of them on recipes.com, just google cream of crab soup and they will come up. I also found it in cans at "Nick's of Clinton" a small gourmet market and I just buy extra crab and half & half to add to the canned soup because it is condensed. Also, don't forget the "old bay" seasoning, this makes it really pop.

Good luck with it and let me know how it tastes if you make it from scratch.

I think overall I may have spent some more in the beginning, but I am sure it will balance itself out once I go to solid foods. Here's what I plan to do:

Buy all my whey powder and protein bombs on Bodybuilding.com- they are the cheapest out there and ship very fast like 3 days.

• Look for the special k proten waters when on sale

• keep a list of regular food items like the Yogurt drinks and buy when on sale

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Tara

Be careful buying protein drinks. You will only need them for the 3 weeks after you are banded. After that you will start eating real food. Dr. Miranda does not want us to continue to use protein drinks after the liquid stage is over.

I've got a case of Slim Fast and a case of chicken broth that I haven't even opened! I way overestimated how much I would need.

Trust me, at the end of three weeks, you won't want to look a protein shake in the face again!

Jena

Guest CaraMBA09
Be careful buying protein drinks. You will only need them for the 3 weeks after you are banded. After that you will start eating real food. Dr. Miranda does not want us to continue to use protein drinks after the liquid stage is over.

I've got a case of Slim Fast and a case of chicken broth that I haven't even opened! I way overestimated how much I would need.

Trust me, at the end of three weeks, you won't want to look a protein shake in the face again!

Jena

well, just to clarify something...many people who weight train use protein drinks as a supplement (NOT substitution) to their conditioning...Jillian Michaels even made a VERY profound statement during last season that she sees them as a benefit for those wanting to hit their daily protein goals, but not having the time to 'cook' a meal or thinking about what they will eat on the go.

Myoplex Lite and a few others out there that are NOT loaded with sugar (which not only prevents you from losing weight..BUT plateau terribly...uhhhmm fyi slimfast is the worst for sugar content)

I fully intend to supplement either in the morning or afternoon with a protein shake...the good ones will average 20 grams of protein and higher.

Cara

AmberLam, YOu have done a lot of hard work to get where your at!! Thank you for the advice! I think I will buy the myoplex lite! It seems to be the best so far! Good point on only needing enough for 3 or so weeks. I would have bought way to much!

You guys are great!

Jenelle

I am single and I live on my own, in a very expensive city! So in saying that I am on a budget. Has anyone noticed their grocery bill dincline since being banded, besides the obvious of not being able to eat as much.

What I mean is are the protein shakes and vitamins and everything else that is needed afterwards just as expensive as buying food? or do you find that you are still spending about the same?

Thanks

Jenelle

The initial outlay for protein shakes and vitamins was about the most expensive. My food costs have definitely reduced significantly!

My personal food bill has gone down drastically! I no longer find myself in the fast food places and I rarely eat out anymore and when I do the meal will last me for days! (leftovers) My family bill however has not changed as I still have to feed them the way they are accustomed to. I keep some protein powder on hand, I get it at Walmart for those occasions when I need them, but otherwise I buy quality--not quantity. My snack bill is way down and no drive throughs anymore and I order no drinks when I eat out so that saves huge amounts of money.

My kids really hate the fact that I don't go through the drive throughs any more!!!

I haven't been banded yet, but I already just on pre-op have noticed how much money I am saving! I was eating out usually 1-2 times a day. The other day I was worried I hadn't paid a bill b/c I felt like I had too much money in my account so I looked and it was because of the not eating out every day. I was spending around $300/month and that is just when I used my debit card - no idea how much more if you count up when I used cash!

I am single too and so I always ate out b/c of convenience - was always silly to make all that food it would go bad before I ate it. But doing the pre-op with lean cuizines has helped a lot. I agree i'm excited to use the extra cash on cute new clothes! :)

Healthier foods definitely cost more, but in the end it will really be cheaper for me.