Help from the Nurses!!

Hi Ladies, I was just getting over a cold and last night developed a sore throat on the left side when I swallow.

Today is getting worse and with the lump that I get after eating it's becoming unbearable.

I am hoping it's not strep...what can you recommend at this point, until it subsides or I see my doctor, to reduce the swelling and pain.

Would liquid Advil help reduce the swelling and pain? Or any other OTC med you can recommend?

Thank you!!

Hi Kittycat - I'm not a nurse, but I did have strep about a month ago. Ugh - it was pretty miserable. I did take OTC pain killers like tylenol. I also gargled with salt water every night - I think it helps reduce swelling. I also used cepacol lozenges to help numb the pain when it was really bad.

Drink lots of fluids and get plenty of rest - I hope it's not strep and it goes away soon!

Hey Kathy, well although it could be strep, 9 times out of 10 it is not. Most of the time a sore throat is simply due to allergies. Allergies causes sinus congestion. That drainage drains down the back of the throat and makes the tonsils extremely sore. Most of the time the throat is more sore in the morning when awaking. Since you had a cold last week your sinuses could be draining just from that viral syndrome and causing the sore throat. With strep throat you will most always have a fever. With allergies you usually will not unless you develop a sinus infection along with them. The best thing you can do is watch and wait. Viral URIs (upper respiratory infections) usually subside on their own. But in the meantime you should get you a decongestant to clear those sinuses out. Also don't be alarmed if you also feel a little nauseated. The same drainage that is making your throat hurt also drains into your stomach and mixes with your gastric acid and can make a fuss. So lots of people experience nausea with and URI. Anyway, with that said, if you develop a fever, a really, really red throat and tonsils, a rash, and bad breath - make you a doctor's appt. This is most likely strep. Anyway - hope you feel better soon and hope this helps. Misty

Hi Ladies,

Thanks for the suggestions...I got some Cepacol losenges and Contac Sore throat and Cold pills for night time. My throat swells during the night and I gag when I try to swallow.

I have been living on popcicles and ice water all day...I am sure you are right Blazn. I have chronic sinusitis and the drip irritates my throat. I am sure it will pass. If it doesn't by Monday, I will go to the doctor for some anti-biotic liquid meds.

Of course I get sick for the weekend!!

Have a good weekend ladies!

I wondered where you were today Cathy. sorry you are sick. the only thing I can add is Cepacol or another brand sore throat spray. It sort of numbs the throat for a short while. I especially like using it at night when I don't feel like sucking on a lozenge. And really the warm salt water rinse is tried and true, doctor recommended for this too. Do it several times a day. It changes the PH of your throat to help it not hurt as much.

Take care and drink lots of fluids honey. :lb18:

Thanks Julie...I took some Contac meds and it's helping a bit...I have been gargling with anti-bacterial wash that I bought for my canker sores and it's helping too. I hope it goes away soon..I absolutely hate having a sore throat, it's the worst.

I hope you are feeling better now and are able to eat something...have a great weekend!

:o i get the exact same thing and i take the tylenol sore throat liquid..it is the blue stuff and it works for me!!

Hi Ladies, I was just getting over a cold and last night developed a sore throat on the left side when I swallow.

Today is getting worse and with the lump that I get after eating it's becoming unbearable.

I am hoping it's not strep...what can you recommend at this point, until it subsides or I see my doctor, to reduce the swelling and pain.

Would liquid Advil help reduce the swelling and pain? Or any other OTC med you can recommend?

Thank you!!

Chloroseptic lozenges NUMB the throat- they are the only ones that do. Like the cherry or lemon/honey the best. I also love theraflu-lemon flavored. I don't really like the taste when I am well but I love it when I am sick. You sip it hot. Also motrin/ibuprophen.

I have tried losenges, Contac sore throat, popcicles and ice water. I woke up this morning at 6:30 a.m. and could not swallow...and my gag reflex when into overdrive....heading to the clinic this morning to have a doctor take a look. I hope it`s not strep.

I will let you know what he says.

You guys are truly the best of the best...thank you for all your suggestions!!

Kathy, I hope you are feeling better soon.I am not a nurse, but for years I have used warm salt water to gargle with for the whole family, it is a safe thing to do until you get to the doctors, also use the nettie pot (sp) for your sinuses.Be well, Barb

Thanks again ladies!!

I went to the doctor this morning and I have a viral throat infection..got some drugs, hope they help.

It's scarey when your throat is so swollen you can't swallow at all. I have a very sensitive gag reflex and the minute I put my feet on the floor this morning, I had a popcicle in my mouth to help decrease the swelling so that I would stop gagging..not fun at all.

Better now!! You guys are the best..luv ya!!!

I am sorry this didn't just disappear overnight. I too HATE sore throats, they are the worst. Now the gag reflex thing would only make this even more terrorizing. Hang low this weekend, relax, it's the boys turn to do the weekend housework!! Oh yes and waiting on mama hand and foot. Tell them that' what the doctor's nurse prescribed!!

Thanks Julie, I wish I could just relax and get the boys to do it all...but they are not here this weekend, my youngest son is racing motocross this weekend both days.

I am feeling fine other than the sore throat and having already cleaned both the boys rooms and the bathroom, on to the kitchen and sorting the laundry, after that an afternoon nap!!

Cathy,

Try getting some liquid Tylenol specifically made for sore throats. They make it for daytime and nighttime. It has a cooling effect when you swallow it and really helps me when I have one.

Good luck, and feel better soon.

Denise