I made it to the other side

:D I thought I would give you a little information on how my experience went. I flew into San Diego from NY at around 9:40 pm. The driver was not there only because my flight was early( suppose to arrive at 10 pm). I waited about 10-15 minutes and started to panic but sure enough about five after 10 he was there with his little sign OCC. A short drive around 20 minutes and we were in Mexico.

See my other post I hit the button by mistake

See it was a piece O Cake huh?

I would do it over in a heart beat, now the work begins. I think my tummy started waking up last night. I was up listening to it rumble all night. LOL

Good luck and hopefully we will meet up again for fills. Do you plan to go back to OCC for fills?

Susan

:D I thought I would give you a little information on how my experience went. I flew into San Diego from NY at around 9:40 pm. The driver was not there only because my flight was early( suppose to arrive at 10 pm). I waited about 10-15 minutes and started to panic but sure enough about five after 10 he was there with his little sign OCC. A short drive around 20 minutes and we were in Mexico.

The hotel was nice looking and the service was friendly. Don't worry about the language barrier most speak english also.

My room was on the ground floor. I got in and it smelled a little mildewy but once I put the AC on it left. I would compare the room to a Holiday inn room. They have TV with English Channels too. The weather was nice but got a little chilly at night. Bring a sweater if you are traveling during this time.

At 7am the next morning everyone was in the lobby ready to head over to the OCC. I met Lindsay, Lisa, Mark, Casey and others. We all got along from the moment we met. The driver takes only the surgery patients first over not there family members. He returns for them the second trip around. But families be prepared!!! You will stay at the OCC till 4pm all day. They offer you menus to have lunch delivered in but thats it. Patients and family members can use the phone free of charge anytime. You just dial 84 or 85 or 86 first till you hear a dial tone and then dail as if you were calling from the states.

Once you get there you go through a series of test ( some patients do this the day before if you arrive early enough)

First you go through the nutrition part, then you get an IV put in either in your hand or arm. Then you go for a lung test and an EKG. The front desk will also take a quick photo of you for ID puropose.

Then you wait and wait and wait till its your turn to go through the doors behind the waiting area. You are assigned to a room were you get changed into a lovely thong and gown. The nurses will give you an antibiotic shot first then a dramamine shot. Also then put on these white tight stocking to prevent clotting. The Doctor comes in and talks to you about the surgery. You are then given a pill that you put under your tongue for relaxation. The last shot you get before you go in is a blood thinner shot. They give it to you right in your stomach. Ouch it hurt alittle.

I was wheel chaired into the surgery room and jumped on the table and then next thing I knew I was back in my room with the oxygen mask on. I pushed it away and the nurses helped me get into another cloth gown because they change gowns when they do the actual surgery (paper gown). The nurse walks you around the hall twice and then you get to suck on ice cubes. Then back to bed for alittle while for rest.

The rooms are very pretty with a suede bedspread and matching blinds. Nice decor and comfortable. The have a LCD TV on the wall which has alot of channels to watch in English. Then most of the day is spent resting. Sipping water and walking.

They have two computers you can use near the desk to email or brows the internet. I checked my flight schedule and did my early check in there before I left the OCC. If you have surgery on Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs you will leave the OCC around 7:30-8am Fridays surgeries you get to sleep till 9 am. The receptionist gives you some relaxation pills for pain and you have some broth.

The driver brings you back to your hotel room and you are free to do what ever you like. I went shopping and did alot of walking that was Saturday. I rested most of the evening and had to get up at 3am for my 8am flight!!! Ouch that hurt. The driver picked us up at 4am and had to bring others over for a 6:50 am flight and wouldnt have been able to get me back later so I had to leave early!!!! I waited at the airport for 3 hours. Be prepared with water and protein mixes. Crossing the border at 4am isnt fun. We had all the druck people trying to get back into the US infront of us. But it was quick and easy. They looked at our ID and asked why we were in Mexico and asked if we bought anything. Then we walked alittle ways and jumped back into the van and headed to the airport.

I was in alittle pain I guess more soreness but other wise I felt fine. I have been drinking alot of water which helps with constipation. I did get alot of gas on the plane home poor passengers next to me. It was more of a rumble no smell FYI sorry. TMI Okay I think thats it. I hope it helps anyone reading. I packed really light only two outfits and that was it other then toiletries.

Congratulations on being banded!! You described it just like I remember it.

You will love your band.

The hotel was nice looking and the service was friendly. Don't worry about the language barrier most speak english also.

My room was on the ground floor. I got in and it smelled a little mildewy but once I put the AC on it left. I would compare the room to a Holiday inn room. They have TV with English Channels too. The weather was nice but got a little chilly at night. Bring a sweater if you are traveling during this time.

At 7am the next morning everyone was in the lobby ready to head over to the OCC. I met Lindsay, Lisa, Mark, Casey and others. We all got along from the moment we met. The driver takes only the surgery patients first over not there family members. He returns for them the second trip around. But families be prepared!!! You will stay at the OCC till 4pm all day. They offer you menus to have lunch delivered in but thats it. Patients and family members can use the phone free of charge anytime. You just dial 84 or 85 or 86 first till you hear a dial tone and then dail as if you were calling from the states.

Once you get there you go through a series of test ( some patients do this the day before if you arrive early enough)

First you go through the nutrition part, then you get an IV put in either in your hand or arm. Then you go for a lung test and an EKG. The front desk will also take a quick photo of you for ID puropose.

Then you wait and wait and wait till its your turn to go through the doors behind the waiting area. You are assigned to a room were you get changed into a lovely thong and gown. The nurses will give you an antibiotic shot first then a dramamine shot. Also then put on these white tight stocking to prevent clotting. The Doctor comes in and talks to you about the surgery. You are then given a pill that you put under your tongue for relaxation. The last shot you get before you go in is a blood thinner shot. They give it to you right in your stomach. Ouch it hurt alittle.

I was wheel chaired into the surgery room and jumped on the table and then next thing I knew I was back in my room with the oxygen mask on. I pushed it away and the nurses helped me get into another cloth gown because they change gowns when they do the actual surgery (paper gown). The nurse walks you around the hall twice and then you get to suck on ice cubes. Then back to bed for alittle while for rest.

The rooms are very pretty with a suede bedspread and matching blinds. Nice decor and comfortable. The have a LCD TV on the wall which has alot of channels to watch in English. Then most of the day is spent resting. Sipping water and walking.

They have two computers you can use near the desk to email or brows the internet. I checked my flight schedule and did my early check in there before I left the OCC. If you have surgery on Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs you will leave the OCC around 7:30-8am Fridays surgeries you get to sleep till 9 am. The receptionist gives you some relaxation pills for pain and you have some broth.

The driver brings you back to your hotel room and you are free to do what ever you like. I went shopping and did alot of walking that was Saturday. I rested most of the evening and had to get up at 3am for my 8am flight!!! Ouch that hurt. The driver picked us up at 4am and had to bring others over for a 6:50 am flight and wouldnt have been able to get me back later so I had to leave early!!!! I waited at the airport for 3 hours. Be prepared with water and protein mixes. Crossing the border at 4am isnt fun. We had all the druck people trying to get back into the US infront of us. But it was quick and easy. They looked at our ID and asked why we were in Mexico and asked if we bought anything. Then we walked alittle ways and jumped back into the van and headed to the airport.

I was in alittle pain I guess more soreness but other wise I felt fine. I have been drinking alot of water which helps with constipation. I did get alot of gas on the plane home poor passengers next to me. It was more of a rumble no smell FYI sorry. TMI Okay I think thats it. I hope it helps anyone reading. I packed really light only two outfits and that was it other then toiletries.

Kim thank you so much that was very helpful. That is good information for people like me who are anticipating surgery. A little nervous but really excited.

I am glad you are doing well. I was told not to book a flight earlier than 9:00 a.m. I did as I was told. That bothers me that others got to book an early flight. I could have saved around $260.00 on my plane tickets if I had booked the early flight. I guess it irritated you also, that you had to get up at 4:00 am and wait three extra hours because someone booked an early flight.

Keep us posted on your progress. I am to be banded Nov. 20th. I am excited, but also scared that I won't do well and that I would have wasted $8,000 plus. My sis is also giving me a lot of grief over choosing Mexico for my surgery. My BIL is from CA and he is also feeding the negative ideas to her about getting it done there.

Best of luck,

Kimberly

I am so glad to hear that your experience went so well! Congrats and I can't wait to hear about your progress!!!

Shelby

Glad you had a good experience overall. I didn't get a shot in my stomach - unless they did it after I was out... as soon as they woke me up I asked if my liver was okay and the doc - I think it was Dr. Acosta - smiled and said it was perfect. I was relieved. Funny, I have perfectly happy memories about my surgery overall - how many people can say that?

Welcome to the other side! The weather may be less than ideal for a few weeks - but there are sunny skies ahead!

:)

Kim -

Your post was so helpful! Thanks for all the detail. I wondered about the gas on the flight home. You set my mind at ease. I look forward to following your progress and your results. Keep us posted on the days that follow. They should be 'interesting' ones.

Good luck!

YEA!!!!! Congratulations!!! You did it!!! I am so excited for you. Sounds like your experience was awesome!!! Now a great new life lies ahead of you. You are on your way to a new you. I can't wait to watch your progress and I am so glad all went well and you are alright.

Good for you!!!!

Natalie