AOL MAIN PAIGE Story today on Dante & Joey Fishell

I have AOL, not sure if any of you do and if so you might have noticed this.

I think it is wonderful that the Fishells gave their son a choice to have surgery for his obesity! Otherwise, he would STILL be struggling. The U.S. doesn't allow this, but Thank God for Dr. Ortiz and the OCC!

I got a little upset reading the comments, people are so quick to judge. They are IDIOTS!

Anyway, I wanted to share this. I think it is awesome that they have gone public. It will speak volumes to other parents thinking 'there is nothing they can do.'

Please watch the video!

http://www.momlogic.com/2008/10/surgery_fo...page=2#comments

Great post Dana, thanks for bringing this to our attention..I even felt compelled to make a comment.

I commented too! People just Tick me off sometime. It is enough to be obese and go through being teased as a child or even treated differently as adults. NOW, they do something about it and they are STILL in the wrong. People can be cruel and they have no heart sometimes!

OK Folks...the Fishells are my family!

Daughter in law, Dante and grandson, Joey, went to OCC on July 2 and my son, Mike, and Dante's sister, Darci, went to OCC on Aug 13. They were all banded by Dr. Ortiz. THEY are the reason I got inspired to get banded too.

This is how I got inspired...

On Sep 1st, when my hubby, Mike, and Joey came home from hunting, is when I REALLY noticed the weight loss from the two of them. I was just in awe because Joey had such a hard time with his weight loss, as well as the rest of the family due to diabetic issues. Mike said that he was going to go to TJ for Dante and Joey's fill the comig Sat, Sep 6 and asked if I would joined them and maybe take the tour.

To make this short...I went and toured the place and signed up that day and just picked a date, a month later, for the surgery! Boom! Just like that and well, here I am! :D

Daughter in law, Dante and grandson, Joey, went to OCC on July 2 and my son, Mike, and Dante's sister, Darci, went to OCC on Aug 13. They were all banded by Dr. Ortiz. THEY are the reason I got inspired to get banded too.

On Sep 1st, when my hubby, Mike, and Joey came home from hunting, is when I REALLY noticed the weight loss from the two of them. I was just in awe because Joey had such a hard time with his weight loss, as well as the rest of the family due to diabetic issues. Mike said that he was going to go to TJ for Dante and Joey's fill the comig Sat, Sep 6 and asked if I would joined them and maybe take the tour.

To make this short...I went and toured the place and signed up that day and just picked a date, a month later, for the surgery! Boom! Just like that and well, here I am! :D

That is so cool!!!

I for one, know how much this could be a family problem. Obesidy runs in familys. Good for you all for taking control now and saying it stops here.

That is so awesome! Talk about family support and understanding of band-life. YAY for the Fishells!!!!!!! I'm glad you are here, Jazzy!

Jann

Thanks Jann!

It's a hard struggle for my son's family. And with the posting on Momlogic.com, it didn't go well. It's hard for anyone to take such hard criticism when they don't know what they are talking about! So, I am convincing my grandson that HE made a good choice and I really asked him, "How do YOU feel about all this?" He just simply looked at me and said, "Dad did the best thing for me Nana and I feel so great! I can move better and I am now smiling more!" He had tears welled up in his eyes, for I know what he has been going through. But, that is over with and now we are ALL focusing FORWARD...and you know what, Jann? Yes, the family support is fantastic and it's not ohly for the physical side but mentally!

OK...I am getting emotional about this because it's so POSITIVE of a move for all of us and WE are seeing the goodness of the band and yes, it's for life and I wouldn't have it any other way!

God love you all for your suppport too! Sniff, sniff...sigh, smiling!

YAYYYYYY to the Fishells family =D> =D> =D>

Don't let anyone get you down - ignore those people who don't know what you are dealing with every single day.

Sure there are people out there who lose weight without the band - no doubt - but there are also many people like us, who are soooo grateful for this tool to get to a better and healthier life !!!

Keep on doing what you're doing !!!!

Thanks Jann!

It's a hard struggle for my son's family. And with the posting on Momlogic.com, it didn't go well. It's hard for anyone to take such hard criticism when they don't know what they are talking about! So, I am convincing my grandson that HE made a good choice and I really asked him, "How do YOU feel about all this?" He just simply looked at me and said, "Dad did the best thing for me Nana and I feel so great! I can move better and I am now smiling more!" He had tears welled up in his eyes, for I know what he has been going through. But, that is over with and now we are ALL focusing FORWARD...and you know what, Jann? Yes, the family support is fantastic and it's not ohly for the physical side but mentally!

OK...I am getting emotional about this because it's so POSITIVE of a move for all of us and WE are seeing the goodness of the band and yes, it's for life and I wouldn't have it any other way!

I have to say that the emotional distraught you feel as an obese child is far worse than any feelings you could possibly have after going through a surgery! I KNOW it will be one of the best things ever for Joey!

Thanks Jann!

Ironically the most grounded of celebrities do not read their press good or bad. It's what apparently helps in keeping them grounded. What other people think really of this decision at the end of the day has no bearing. The result and the change reflected in quality of life does. I read the first three or four pages of comments and my blood pressure went up incrementally! I cannot believe how opinionated these uneducated hacks are. Whew! I feel better having said that.

I really don't see this as an age based issue. Fat is fat regardless of age. The only difference is your g'son is still developing his fat cell numbers and we're done. Fat cells NEVER decrease in number, even when you lose weight. They simply contract and empty. When you regain weight they swell and fill. Liposuction does decrease the number but having said that if you gain weight after lipo the fat cells swell and reach levels where they split off technically increasing the number again.

When your entire family is healthy, happy and capable of great movement and freedom your point will have been made. Going forward does just that. I'm thrilled to tiny bits and pieces for all of you and a lil jealous, truth be told. Wish I had a whole family of banders!!

Truthfully, had this been optional for me in high school I would have been on it like a dog on a bone. In my opinion, your g'son is a very lucky boy indeed!

Warm hugs,

Jann

That is just too freakin' freaky...great story, but some of the comments were uncalled for....I totally support any parent who wants to help their child with an addiction, food, drugs or otherwise. I applaud anyone who takes control of their health.

Thank you all for this = God Bless YOU! I am VERY touched by your words and my family and I WILL go forward!

I read a few comments and it was all I can do not to cry because these folks have no clue as to what they are saying. So, I just stopped from reading any further and I am not going to listen to any more negativity! In fact, I am more determine to see this through! And I know my son and his family feel the same.

OK...as the song goes..."Onward Bandster soldiers...marching to our dreams!"... :)

Thank you all for this = God Bless YOU! I am VERY touched by your words and my family and I WILL go forward!

I read a few comments and it was all I can do not to cry because these folks have no clue as to what they are saying. So, I just stopped from reading any further and I am not going to listen to any more negativity! In fact, I am more determine to see this through! And I know my son and his family feel the same.

OK...as the song goes..."Onward Bandster soldiers...marching to our dreams!"... :)

hehe -- you go girl!

I have AOL, not sure if any of you do and if so you might have noticed this.

I think it is wonderful that the Fishells gave their son a choice to have surgery for his obesity! Otherwise, he would STILL be struggling. The U.S. doesn't allow this, but Thank God for Dr. Ortiz and the OCC!

I got a little upset reading the comments, people are so quick to judge. They are IDIOTS!

Anyway, I wanted to share this. I think it is awesome that they have gone public. It will speak volumes to other parents thinking 'there is nothing they can do.'

Please watch the video!

http://www.momlogic.com/2008/10/surgery_fo...page=2#comments

Thank you for the support and kind words.

My wife Dante' was having a hard time with some of the comments she read in response to the article on Momlogic.com. I had to explain to her that these people obviously are not the brightest as some of their comments were made without reading the article as most were convinced he had gastric bypass.

For those of you who don't know about us, Not only has Dante' & Joey had surgery @ OCC on 7/2/08, but Dante's sister, me (her husband) had it @ OCC on 8/14/08 and now my step-mom had it @ OCC on 10/8/08. (No this isn't a paid advertisement for OCC, in fact we have not been paid a single penny for any of the articles we have done)

Between Dante', Joey & myself, we have lost a combined weight of over 150 lbs thanks to Dr Ortiz. (This includes pre-surgery weight loss).

For those who missed the first two articles in the San Diego Union/Tribune:

Sunday 9/21/08: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/health/...z1n21risks.html

Monday 9/22/08: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/health/...1n22report.html

This just goes to show how uninformed people are and how much they judge a book by its cover.

Don't let them discourage you in the positive choices we all have made.

Mike, Dante' & Joey

My wife Dante' was having a hard time with some of the comments she read in response to the article on Momlogic.com. I had to explain to her that these people obviously are not the brightest as some of their comments were made without reading the article as most were convinced he had gastric bypass.

For those of you who don't know about us, Not only has Dante' & Joey had surgery @ OCC on 7/2/08, but Dante's sister, me (her husband) had it @ OCC on 8/14/08 and now my step-mom had it @ OCC on 10/8/08. (No this isn't a paid advertisement for OCC, in fact we have not been paid a single penny for any of the articles we have done)

Between Dante', Joey & myself, we have lost a combined weight of over 150 lbs thanks to Dr Ortiz. (This includes pre-surgery weight loss).

This just goes to show how uninformed people are and how much they judge a book by its cover.

Mike, Dante' & Joey

Nice to meet you Mike, Dante' and Joey! Hold your head up high and revel in your successes! I'm thrilled for all of you!

Jann

Hi Mike, I was banded the same day as you and my wife and I talked to your family at the pool the day after surgery. We hope everything is going fine with your family, and yes, you did the best thing for your son and your self. I am down 78 lbs. since July 1, and down over 40 since the surgery on Aug 14, so I did the best for me also. Best of Luck.

Mike, Dante' & Joey

Mike,

Your family is an inspiration. I think it is wonderful! I posted a comment on the momlogic article. People don't know what they are talking about half the time. lol Hey, I wanted to tell you that the day I posted this, a Dallas radio station was actually talking about this and my husband came home talking about it. He said, 'they said it is a main story on AOL so look it up.' I knew it was your family before I even saw it. I just thought it was neat that way out here it stirred up conversation on the air waves.

Keep up the great work.....all of you!

Dana~

OMG, that article just ticked me off. It is soo rude and wrong the way people judge people. Most of the dumb butts did not even know what they were talking about...................As a mother, if my child was that over weight, I would do it or them also!!!!! Cudo's to his mom, Jazzy's daughter in law!