First 7 days of food

So i'm making my grocery list for tomorrow and I want to make sure i'm buying the right stuff. Sorry if this has already been posted - I looked up to a few months back and couldn't find anything. Here is what is on my list to buy to have when I get back. If I should add or delete anything please let me know. I feel pretty solid about what I can eat days 8 on, but the first 7 are still fuzzy. I'll need to mix it up as much as I can or i'll go nuts! :huh:

Thanks in advance!!

Shopping List

Gas X strips

Ramen Noodles

Special K20 Protein Water packs and bottles

Sugar free popsicles

Apple juice

Question: Are protein shakes OK during the first 7 days? If so i'll add them to my list.

Already got my liquid vitamins so i'm good there. I'm also going to get a heating pad - I remember someone mentioning that.

lots and lots of broth....chicken, beef, vegi, whatever you want to mix it up! Try to find the low sodium kind. Also, sugar free jello. You'll need lots of little boxes of it. I ate it with every meal.

Good luck!

ps. the rest of your list looks good.

Denise

So i'm making my grocery list for tomorrow and I want to make sure i'm buying the right stuff. Sorry if this has already been posted - I looked up to a few months back and couldn't find anything. Here is what is on my list to buy to have when I get back. If I should add or delete anything please let me know. I feel pretty solid about what I can eat days 8 on, but the first 7 are still fuzzy. I'll need to mix it up as much as I can or i'll go nuts! :huh:

Thanks in advance!!

Shopping List

Gas X strips

Ramen Noodles

Sugar free popsicles

Apple juice

Question: Are protein shakes OK during the first 7 days? If so i'll add them to my list.

Already got my liquid vitamins so i'm good there. I'm also going to get a heating pad - I remember someone mentioning that.

I don't know what Ramon Noodles are but you can't have noodles. First seven days are liquids the consistency of water only, vegetable broth, beef broth, chicken broth, popsicles are fine and they don't need to be SF. You aren't getting any calories to push you over. Apple juice is 1/2 and 1/2 not full concentrate. I would watch the sodium level in the broths as well. I found them obnoxiously salty and bloated badly. Everybody is different so you may find you don't have that response.

WOOT! You must be stoked!

Jann

Good luck to you! I was banded on Oct 10 so this is still VERY fresh in my mind. I over-bought. The seven days goes by fast and you really don't want to eat that much.

Bullion cubes to make soup fast and in small quantities

Special K Protein Water - a must have

Jello - I just bought a six pack of the already made ones

G2 - low calorie, low sugar Gatorade in little bottles

fruit juice of your choice

Gas X strips - a MUST

Chewable or dissolvable Benefiber - this saved me!!

Liquid Vitamins - You'll hate the taste, but these are ESSENTIAL.

I also bought the heating pad based on what was written here, but personally never used it. You might want to wait and see on that one since mine was about $14 at Walgreen's. One more thing, before you're discharged from the OCC the morning after your surgery, you'll be offered the chance to buy more pain medication from them for $8 a pack. BUY IT! It dissolves under your tongue and is great. I only bought one pack, but wished I had bought 2. They were great and no pills to swallow. I also used Liquid Tylenol, but that stuff is seriously nasty so I only took it once.

Just curious - are you buying the Ramen noodles just for those little packets inside to make the broth? You know you can't eat the noodles, right? Just asking.

Also, NO protein shakes until after the first 7 days.

You'll do great. It's a piece of cake. REALLY!!

Thanks so much this helps a LOT!!!

Sorry, guess I should clarify...yeah, i'm just buying the ramen for the broth i'll take the noodles out. I read on here someone did that so I thought I could take those with me and they would be easy while down there. I'm also going to do the cubes. Anything I can do to mix it up as much as possible. Thanks so much for the tips on pain pills, heating pads, and everything else. That sure helps a lot! I'm also excited the pops don't have to be sugar free! :)

Now on the jello are you talking about jello jello or can you do jello pudding too?

I'm getting very nervous but really excited too! I'm making my list and about to get on weather.com to see what to bring. It seems like so many people have come and gone since me, so i'm so glad it is finally my time!!!!

I wish I could have lost more during pre op but i'm going to keep pushing and do my best. I've been out of town since Wed so it was really hard. But I tried to make good choices and did what I could.

My belly is flip flopping and I wish it was time already! :huh:

Thanks so much!!!

Sorry, guess I should clarify...yeah, i'm just buying the ramen for the broth i'll take the noodles out. I read on here someone did that so I thought I could take those with me and they would be easy while down there. I'm also going to do the cubes. Anything I can do to mix it up as much as possible. Thanks so much for the tips on pain pills, heating pads, and everything else. That sure helps a lot! I'm also excited the pops don't have to be sugar free! :)

Now on the jello are you talking about jello jello or can you do jello pudding too?

I'm getting very nervous but really excited too! I'm making my list and about to get on weather.com to see what to bring. It seems like so many people have come and gone since me, so i'm so glad it is finally my time!!!!

I wish I could have lost more during pre op but i'm going to keep pushing and do my best. I've been out of town since Wed so it was really hard. But I tried to make good choices and did what I could.

Thanks so much!!!

Jello Jello -- not Jello pudding. I'm excited for ya! It all happens so fast once you get there.

Jann

yeh shelby,

Just a note about your list. be sure to take w/you to tj, Gas-x and boulion of some sort. The airlines and airports have nothing for you to eat on the way home.

Now the hotel resturant does have bouilion you can order but when you leave for home you are pretty much on you own, so be prepared. I found a bouilion in a small packet that is powder and it disolves in water real quick. Nice and handy, and very convienant.

Tell your stomach , Flip flop is not nesesary, It will be just fine LOL :lb18: :lb18:

yeh shelby,

Just a note about your list. be sure to take w/you to tj, Gas-x and boulion of some sort. The airlines and airports have nothing for you to eat on the way home.

Now the hotel resturant does have bouilion you can order but when you leave for home you are pretty much on you own, so be prepared. I found a bouilion in a small packet that is powder and it disolves in water real quick. Nice and handy, and very convienant.

Tell your stomach , Flip flop is not nesesary, It will be just fine LOL :lb18: :lb18:

Yes, it is Wylers broth granules and it comes in a small 2.25 oz bottle. I would get those. It is so much better than bouillon cubes. I mean you have to drink this for a week so get the best.:) Also, you will notice that HOT stuff goes down much easier. So, not sure if you like coffee, but if you do get some. You can have non- dairy creamer. I got the liquid non fat vanilla. This is my treat every morning. I also got de-caff so I can drink it in the evenings if I want. When I drink really cold stuff it is like it stops at the top of my throat. I have enjoyed my coffee!

Also, don't forget you can have drinkable Yogurt day 7. I got weak on day 4 so Dr. Miranda told me I could have them then. Get the Dan Active Immunity, they are 4 oz sizes and they are great!

I did not eat much the week of surgery and I experienced hardly any gas. So, if you can refrain from the Mexican tacos, do it! It will make a difference in how you feel after surgery. I ate the chicken broth at the Lucerna for dinner the night before surgery.

I wish you best! Enjoy your time at the OCC, it goes very fast!

You can start drinking the drinkable yogurt starting at Day 4 of your clear liquid week. It fine and no problem.

Everyone has their own agenda of how they are going to eat the first 21 days post op. Dana had posted a good topic on this yesterday. Read it.

What I've done was VERY simple: The first week all I had was broth, broth and more broth! Towards the end of the week, I was docking the broth with tobasco sauce for some 'kick' into it! BUT, remember, you just had major surgery and this is a healing time between you and the band. Starting day 4, I started the drinkable yogurt for breakfast and then broth the rest of the day. Protein water saved me and LOTS of Gas X...and WALK, WALK, WALK! This is so important to help get rid of the gas inside of you from surgery. (I personally didn't have a lot of gas right after surgery because every 2 hrs until 6am in the morning, I walked the hallways in OCC and I slept for a few hours but woke up with no pain or too much bloathing.

The next stage is the 'creamy soup' stage, for 2 weeks - just like everyone is saying, if you can't drink it through the straw by itself, then you can't have it. VERY simple - NO blenders to blend any veggies or meats. It is convenience to buy the Campbell's ready made soups in this stage, unless you are a cook and make your own - your option. I use either skim milk or 2% for the 'creamed' soups, or use the broth or water for the regular soups. It's not bad at all. It's surprizing to see what YOUR taste buds are and you are being renewed to herbs and spices too. I gourmet my tomato soups! HA!

You are doing great and keep up the spirit! Never forget your goal and the reason for this band! Good Luck sweetie!!

Guest CaraMBA09

Thanks so much!!!

Sweetie Pie

Ramen Noodle (Broth) is LOADED with sodium and more often than not, loaded with MSG...you will feel bloated on top of being incredibly bloated.

Just drink chix, beef or veggie broth...

Good luck

Ick! Thanks for letting me know about the Ramen! I was gonna take those on the trip b/c they were nice little packets. Sounds like the bullion comes in packs too so I should be OK. Basically looking for something that is easy to pack. If it tastes good even better! :) When I get back i'll definitely make sure I have lots of cans of broth to stock up on.

I can't thank you guys enough! I have my list here at work and am updating it!

Thanks again! The belly is still flip flopping, but today has been a busy day at work so hopefully today and tomorrow will fly by and I will be on my way!!!

Shelby

Remember except for the drinkable yogurt of your choice during day 1 through 7 it is only CLEAR liquids. If you can't see through it you can't have it, except the yogurt. Easy as that. Now for the rest of the days through 21 you can have what's called FULL liquids. As others have said no chunks, bumps or lumps in it and no blenders to make it creamy. No calorie counting at this time. Enjoy some special creamy soups if you like. You can also add in fudgesicles, the skinny cow ones are great. Also during this phase if you feel like it have a small milkshake. It won't kill you and it can be a real treat. Just use common sense and make it a "treat". It is considered a full liquid as is ice cream. I loved the Haagen Daz vanilla and raspberry sorbet 100 calorie frozen bars, also weight watchers has a mocha frozen pop that is to die for at 100 calories also. Try for variety to help get you through this time.

I'm excited for you. Preparation is everything.

Great post and excellent info from everyone!!!

I always wondered about what EXACTLY is clear liquids, thanks Julie.

Why can't I find the Special K protein drink? I see South Beach but not Special K. I am in So Cal. I have been able to find low sodium veggie, chix and beef broth at Trader Joe's.

Why can't I find the Special K protein drink? I see South Beach but not Special K. I am in So Cal. I have been able to find low sodium veggie, chix and beef broth at Trader Joe's.

I wish we had all your great stores. I can't find ANY of that here north of the border.

Jann

Remember except for the drinkable yogurt of your choice during day 1 through 7 it is only CLEAR liquids. If you can't see through it you can't have it, except the yogurt. Easy as that. Now for the rest of the days through 21 you can have what's called FULL liquids. As others have said no chunks, bumps or lumps in it and no blenders to make it creamy. No calorie counting at this time. Enjoy some special creamy soups if you like. You can also add in fudgesicles, the skinny cow ones are great. Also during this phase if you feel like it have a small milkshake. It won't kill you and it can be a real treat. Just use common sense and make it a "treat". It is considered a full liquid as is ice cream. I loved the Haagen Daz vanilla and raspberry sorbet 100 calorie frozen bars, also weight watchers has a mocha frozen pop that is to die for at 100 calories also. Try for variety to help get you through this time.

I'm excited for you. Preparation is everything.

Except Coffee! It is not clear and they gave us that the morning we left the OCC! :o)

Thanks so much everyone these are a HUGE help! Just went to the store and stocked up. I got all the stuff on my list plus your suggestions. I feel better having it all here before because i'll be on my own when I get back.

For the special K water, I get mine at Wal Mart. The powder and the liquid bottles are in two different areas at my store - no idea why! The bottles are over by the slim fast and ensure and the powder is by the kool aid and crystal light. Not sure if you have any Wal Marts near you, but try there.

Thanks again everyone!!!

Thanks in advance!!

Shopping List

Gas X strips

Ramen Noodles

Sugar free popsicles

Apple juice

Oh my goodness...I can't believe that Friday is only 4 days away!!! I am so excited that out banding date is HERE! I need to go shopping too for my post-op clear liquids...for those of you in So. Calif. I purchased the Special K Protein Water at Albertson's and I hear that Wal-Mart carries it too!!

I know right! I work tomorrow then i'm off for a week! Everyone at work thinks i'm on vacation, which isn't totally a lie! :P

I have a lot of meetings tomorrow so hopefully the day will go quickly. I'm ready to get to getting!

Can't wait!!!

Jann - I can send you the "On the Go" individual packets if you are interested? Send me a PM for your address.

Donna - Special K2O are here in So. California, in San Diego are at Targets and Food 4 Less. I haven't looked elsewhere since they had them there. I am sure if F4L has them, then Ralph's stores has them too - same company.

Jann - I can send you the "On the Go" individual packets if you are interested? Send me a PM for your address.

Donna - Special K2O are here in So. California, in San Diego are at Targets and Food 4 Less. I haven't looked elsewhere since they had them there. I am sure if F4L has them, then Ralph's stores has them too - same company.

That is so incredibly sweet of ya! If they are Crystal Lite packs then I do believe I've seen them here. Thanks anyways though. I appreciate the gesture.

Jann

Jann...not the Crystal Light...but the Special K2O packets...

I've never been able to find those here. Any Canadians out there have any better luck?? Please advise where you found them?

Thanks Jazz! I may just take you up on that if it's not just me that can't find 'em!

Hugs and thanks!

Jann