LIQUID DIET

Okay... I'm SUPER nervous about the 21 day liquid diet. I have already started working on my pre-op diet; eating better, drinking water, walking. And, then I will do the Lean Cuisine pre-op diet two weeks before my surgery date. But here is my dilimma... I bought protien drinks (Slim Fast until the ones I ordered online arrive) and purchased some liquid yogurt just to try it out. I have a hard time gagging it down, so I'm nervous that the 21 days is going to be very difficult for me. What types of liquids have people had on the liquid diet? I would like to get an idea so I can stock my cupboards before I leave for my surgery. Hopefully with things I will look forward to drinking and not dreading. But perhaps I'll be so hungry that it won't matter what I drink.

Also, another quick question. When you drink water (any liquids for that matter) after the surgery... do you have to sip? For instance; if you go on a rigourous walk, can you "chug" water or do you have to sip it?

Thanks, Kristy

Hi there and welcome!!

My diet plan was a little different from the OCC, I was banded in Canada.

On the clear liquid diet for 7 days, you can have the following:

water, broth, popcicles, clear diluted juices, plus any other clear liquids you can think of

On the non-clear liquid for 14 days, you can have the following:

water, fudgecicles, liquid yogurt, shakes, creamy soups and any clear liquid from prev. list.

Anything you can get through a straw you can have.

It's not easy, but it's worth it!!!!

Hi there and welcome!!

My diet plan was a little different from the OCC, I was banded in Canada.

On the clear liquid diet for 7 days, you can have the following:

water, broth, popcicles, clear diluted juices, plus any other clear liquids you can think of

On the non-clear liquid for 14 days, you can have the following:

water, fudgecicles, liquid yogurt, shakes, creamy soups and any clear liquid from prev. list.

Anything you can get through a straw you can have.

It's not easy, but it's worth it!!!!

Yep, that's about it LOL

My hubby was banded 3 weeks ago and he had the hardest time to get those drinkable yoghurt down, so I asked Dr. Miranda and she told me to have instead some Probiotics powder (Liolactil) mixed into the drink. Did the job ;)

About the drinking ... I could drink relatively "normal" again after the swelling from the surgery went down up until my first fill.

With a good restriction you mostlikely can't and shouldn't chug the water down :lb12: .

Hey Kristy -

Glad to see you're reading this forum and asking questions. Since I just went through this I feel that I can say with a fair amount of authority that it honestly wasn't that bad. Sure you get sick of soup and want to CHEW something by the end, but you're recovering and your body is different after you're banded. Also, for me the money was a huge motivator. I would say to myself, I really just want a small bite of something, but is it a $8000 bite? I'd play those kinds of mental games with myself.

I also got pretty inventive with my soup selections. I tried all kinds and really mixed it up. Before I knew it...the 21 days were over. You can do it. Yes, you will be hungry, but it's quickly solved by drinking a small cup of broth or soup. For me, the hardest part was the weak feeling I had in the very beginning. I'm sure I was a bit dehydrated too.

As for chugging things, I really don't know if that's allowed. You shouldn't be doing any vigorous exercise during this period any way so that sort of solves your problem. What kind of liquid yogurt did you buy? Dana and I found that those little 4 oz. Immunity Yogurts by Dannon were pretty yummy. I tried Peach and Vanilla. They're super runny and not too sweet. You should give those a try. I've tried other drinkable yogurts that were thicker and didn't like them as much. Also, the 4 oz. size is perfect in terms of portion size.

Another thing that helped me during this phase is my mind set. I was super excited to be starting this new phase of my life and VERY committed to healing my band well and following doctor's orders to a T. You'll be good. You have this board and all of us here rooting you on.

Here was my list for this phase:

powdered soups by Bear Creek - the Broccoli Cheddar and Creamy Potato were my favorites

Miso soup from my favorite Japanese Restaurant - I had to strain out the tofu chunks and seaweed, but the broth was amazing!!

Campbell's Cream of Chicken and Cream of Shrimp soups (don't knock the Shrimp one until you try it. Really yummy.

Lots of Special K Protein Water - tropical fruit is my favorite

Gatorade G2

Campbell's Cream of Tomato Soup

Bullion cubes in the Mexican Foods section of your market. They're super flavorful and yummy. Chicken was my favorite.

Low-calorie, low sugar instant hot cocoa

Hot tea

Let's see what some others have to say...

Hi tnm - congrats on your decision to be banded - you will NOT regret this healthy choice!

I had my surgery on Oct 8 and it's still fresh on my mind. The time will go real fast believe me. It was a tough first 7 days, but then that is expected after eating all the time previously before deciding to be banded.

First seven days are liquids the consistency of water only, vegetable broth, beef broth, chicken broth, popsicles are fine and they don't need to be sugar free. Apple juice is good but mix with water to prevent diarrhea - like 1/2 and 1/2 not full concentrate. I would watch the sodium level in the broths as well.

You can add herb and spices to give it a kick. I did plain for the first 4 days and then added tobasco sauce! Oh it was good. I drank protein wsater (Special K20), popsicles, jello with more water added to make it more watery. G2 - low calorie, low sugar Gatorade in little bottles is good too.

At this stage, on day 4 you can have the drinkable yogurts. I like the Yoplait Smoothies...Strawberry Bananna the best because of the potassium...but all of their drinks are good. I've also had the Lucerne and Kroger's yogurts too. Not bad.

NO protein shakes during this time.

SIP, SIP, SIP all your liquids and NO straw to prevent extra air. You will have some gas in you, so get plenty of Gas X Strips...this is a MUST! Walking is a must but don't go haywire...do short walks several times a day. This aid in getting the gas bubbles out of your system quickly.

For the rest of the days through 21 you are on 'creamy soups' stage. NO chunks, lumps, or bumps in your food and NO blenders to make it creamy. There is no calorie counting at this time either. Go to the fourms Recipe section and look at the Healthy Creamy Soups post and get some ideas. Or you can simply get those quick Campbell's canned soups. You can have fudgesicles and puddings too. Also protein shakes are good at this creamy stage too as well as the drinkable yogurts.

Don't forget your vitamins...either the liquid kind or the chewable Centrium kind. It's important to get your vitamins and minerals in daily.

Hope this helps!

Congrats....I was banded three weeks ago so i have just completed the liquid phase. I became a scale junkie because never in my life was I able to loose so much weight so quickly. The scale was a big motivator for me. I have a couple of things to add...liquid vitamin is important because you do start to feel week....B-12 vitamins that go under your tongue...and Biotin which disolves in water for your hair.

I found the last couple of days to be the hardest and my willpower was tested but it is only three weeks you can do anything for three weeks if you put your mind to it. Try to kkeep busy so your not standing around bored. The last week became really hard when I was cooking meals for my family so if you can try and designate cooking to someone else. I kept myself away from gathering where there would be overwhelming temptations.

You can do it best of luuck

Hi there! I'm on day 12 right now. I'm not gonna lie, it's been tough but I agree with what everyone else has said. I just think of if I were just to eat one bite and cause my band to slip and it's just not worth the risk! Weekends are tough for me b/c i'm just relaxing at home, but while i'm busy at work it takes my mind off it. Although today in a meeting I was in they had a cheese and cracker tray and I was drooling! :o But the scale has been going down so that is a good motivator. In the first week I lost 10 lbs! This week I stayed the same, but I think that is because my body is getting used to that large weight loss from last week so I think it will kick back up again this week. Kind of like on the Biggest Loser when none of them lose any weight on week 2.

You just need to search around and find some foods that you like. Towards the end of the first 7 days the smell of broth made me gag - so I took regular soups and strained everything out. I also did the drinkable yogurt and still do. I don't totally like it, but it's not bad. I do those for breakfast.

I think the key is mixing it up and making sure you don't get bored. That got tough towards the end of the first 7 days, but now being on phase 2 it isn't as bad. Still tough, but I know I can do it!!!!

Good luck and know we are here to help!!

Thank you everyone for the great advice. I have already written out a grocery list! I'm not married, so I know that keeping myself busy and occupied is going to be the key! I'm grateful for this place and for the support.

Again... thanks, Kristy