Please suggest me post operation diet...

frank

Hi Frank - Welcome and congrats. If you are having your surgery with OCC in TJ, here's a guideline we follow 21days post op. I am sure others will make other suggestions too.

I had my surgery on Oct 8 and it's still fresh on my mind. The time will go real fast believe me. It was a tough first 7 days, but then that is expected after eating all the time previously before deciding to be banded.

First seven days are liquids the consistency of water only, vegetable broth, beef broth, chicken broth, popsicles are fine and they don't need to be sugar free. Apple juice is good but mix with water to prevent diarrhea - like 1/2 and 1/2 not full concentrate. I would watch the sodium level in the broths as well.

You can add herb and spices to give it a kick. I did plain for the first 4 days and then added tobasco sauce! Oh it was good. I drank protein wsater (Special K20), popsicles, jello with more water added to make it more watery. G2 - low calorie, low sugar Gatorade in little bottles is good too. At this stage, on day 4 you can have the drinkable yogurts.

NO protein shakes during this time.

SIP, SIP, SIP all your liquids and NO straw to prevent extra air. You will have some gas in you, so get plenty of Gas X Strips...this is a MUST! Walking is also a must but don't go overboard. Do short walks several times a day. This aid in getting the gas bubbles out of your system quickly.

From day 8 to day 21 you are on 'creamy soups' stage. NO chunks, lumps, or bumps in your food and NO blenders to make it creamy. There is no calorie counting at this time either. Go to the fourms Recipe section and look at the Healthy Creamy Soups post and get some ideas. Or you can simply get those quick Campbell's canned soups. You can have fudgesicles and puddings. Also protein shakes are good at this creamy stage too as well as the drinkable yogurts.

Don't forget your vitamins...either the liquid kind or the chewable Centrium kind. It's important to get your vitamins and minerals in daily.

I am obviously in no way a doctor, But I suggested going to him or her. We can make suggestions but for the most part its going to be a guess because only your doctor can tell you what you really need. But for me I suggessted finding some good nutritional supplements and making sure you take them. Check this site out it has a lot of info for vitamins meal replacements and all that good stuff. www.bariatricadvantage.com

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Jude,

When do you start the protein shakes post-op?

I am day 2. Going well so far, just clear, cold liquids. Thanks for the tip about the apple juice dilution. Looking forward to day 4 for some light soup and yogurt drinks!

Thanks,

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving...I sure did!

I don't know what kind of postop diet you are on. The one from OCC is different than the one you seem to be on. Check with your doctor on your menu. AT OCC, you could go on protein shakes starting on day 8, the 'creamy soup stage, which you are on it for two weeks.

Hi Marcus,

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving...I sure did!

I don't know what kind of postop diet you are on. The one from OCC is different than the one you seem to be on. Check with your doctor on your menu. AT OCC, you could go on protein shakes starting on day 8, the 'creamy soup stage, which you are on it for two weeks.

Dr. Miranda told me I could do drinkable yogurt and creamy soups on day 4 if I wanted. She even wrote it on the 21 day calendar.