Pre-Operative Diet! HELP!

Hi guys....

I will be joining you all soon with a lapband....

i havent seen my diet expert yet....iam just gonna go ahead and start my liquid diet ASAP since i want the band ASAP!

what do u do for the pre-operative liquid diet??????

is it like slim fast and other protein shakes....wouldn`t u end up gaining wt if u did too many of those?!!

is there a calorie max limit??? and did u just buy it from osco- walgreens and such places???

my first consultation with my surgeon is this evening!

ur help is greatly appreciated

thanks in advance

sam

Hi there and welcome!! Congrats on your decision to get banded!!!

The pre-op diet will be set out by your surgeon and believe me honey, you won't be having too much of anything during this time.

The standard is 2 shakes and lean cuisine...that's it!!!

Good Luck!!!

Hi kittycat

thanks for the reply...

i heard 1200 per day....is that about it?

also, what about the band size....isn`t the more bigger the better???

is it the surgeon choice entirely ....or it is ours as well????

thanks again

Hi San,

Your dr will decide on the band size when he sees your stomach. For the first 21 days, if you are going by OCC's postop diet, you don't have to count calories. But when you start on day 22, eating solids, you would go between 1000 to 1200 calories per day.

Hi guys....

I will be joining you all soon with a lapband....

i havent seen my diet expert yet....iam just gonna go ahead and start my liquid diet ASAP since i want the band ASAP!

what do u do for the pre-operative liquid diet??????

is it like slim fast and other protein shakes....wouldn`t u end up gaining wt if u did too many of those?!!

is there a calorie max limit??? and did u just buy it from osco- walgreens and such places???

my first consultation with my surgeon is this evening!

ur help is greatly appreciated

thanks in advance

sam

Your surgeon will be able to give you the info to follow. For me, I had to have two meal replacement shakes a day, and then a dinner of a lean cuisine and some greens. For Dr. Ortiz, he wants to see about 10% of your excess weight lost before the surgery. And for good reason. The loss of fat around the liver and heart make it easier to perform the surgery, making recovery faster, and requires less "under the knife" time... so to speak.

I almost didn't get banded as I was borderline on the weight loss. Looking back, I wish I would have listened to his team earlier, so I could have not fretted from the stress of being allowed for surgery.

So stay the course. Follow the prescribed plan your doctor gives you so you can have the most successful banding experience you can!!

Taz

also, choose those diet meals that are low in carbs. (there are a lot of them that have a buttload of carbs, but are low in calories.) Carbs make the liver big, or keep it large if it's big. The doctor will need room to work, so choose vegetables and proteins, and all the major diet meal producers have selections that are nothing but vegetables and meat. BE SURE TO READ THE LABEL.

Thanks for all of your replies...they are really encouraging ...

I just saw my Dr and he only allowed 5 cans of slim fast a day for two weeks!! plus any amount of tea and artificial sweeteners....i never stayed on such low calorie diet....

wt today before i start any thing is 276 lb , ht 5 9 !

at 11/04/08 !

hope to have one of those great win stories some of you guys had done!

best wishes to all