Qualifying?

HI I was wondering what you needed to qualify to get the procedure done by Dr. Ortiz.

I saw someone mention that you had to be at least 50lbs over weight.

My insurance does pay for the procedure but they said I have to be 100lbs over weight with a BMI higher than 40 or if I had diabetes or some other medical condition it can be a BMI of 35.

They didnt even see me. They said I wasnt qualified.

Im 80lbs overweight, ive been heavy all my life. Ive never been a small size.

Is there any way I can know before I head to TJ?

Guest CaraMBA09
HI I was wondering what you needed to qualify to get the procedure done by Dr. Ortiz.

My insurance does pay for the procedure but they said I have to be 100lbs over weight with a BMI higher than 40 or if I had diabetes or some other medical condition it can be a BMI of 35.

Hi Haley and welcome to our little home!

I would love to answer your question as I too was denied here in the states even though I was 85 lbs overweight. The center here in WA told me "you need to gain more weight to get above 35 BMI" I then told the nurse she was nuts

I then did a google search and found two places in mexico...OCC and the "other" place

I got on the blog and from there called OCC. I initially was going to head down for a consult as I was 'scared' of TJ and nervous about going out of country (silly me), but after talking to a few people, I just went ahead and scheduled my surgery. I do not regret it one bit.

Ironically, the same place here in WA who turned me down has just done my second fill - how is that for sweet justice?

I am down 10 lbs in 6.5 weeks - which would have taken me 6 months on weight watchers

Do your research and then make your decision. You are worth it. Some of the wonderful women here are like my second sisters and true friends. We share an experience that is like no other.

welcome

the ra-ra :)

You definitely qualify at the OCC. I was 80lbs. overweight when I had the lapband done 3 months ago. Good luck!

Hi there,

I wa 80 lbs overweight too. BMI 39.1 No problem for the OCC. I would have had to have gained another 20lbs to qualify for OHIP here in Canada to consider me.

Dr. Ortiz likes your BMI to be at least 30 I believe, but I think someone said it could be a little less if you had been bigger before, lost a little weight, but was slowly gaining it back. As a matter of fact, it was my sister-n-law. She wants to have it done and contacted Carolyn. Her BMI is only like 27 but it used to be higher and she is slowly gaining the weight back that she lost after having my neice. Carolyn had to present her case to Dr. Ortiz and he approved it. She has not been banded yet for financial reasons but it is definately open if she wants it.

Hi there,

I wa 80 lbs overweight too. BMI 39.1 No problem for the OCC. I would have had to have gained another 20lbs to qualify for OHIP here in Canada to consider me.

Kim,

OHIP doesn't cover lapband..no matter how much you weigh...only Gastric Bypass. I paid for my surgery in Mississauga, no coverage unfortunately.

Kim,

OHIP doesn't cover lapband..no matter how much you weigh...only Gastric Bypass. I paid for my surgery in Mississauga, no coverage unfortunately.

Yep. Same here. British Columbia MSP would not cover the lapband, but was willing to have me do gastric bypass. I refused. Besides the thought of being carved up... the 3 yr wait list was insane for that particular procedure.

For over a year I didn't do the band, as I wasn't sure if spending $10K of my own money was worth it, since it came with the thought of PBing, surgery in a foreign country, and the uncertainty that the doctors in Canada would take care of me if something went wrong. What a DUMB set of hang ups to have. I now realize I DENIED myself a year of freedom of my weight. Had I done it last year, I would be significantly further along!!!! And quite frankly, OCC in Mexico was far nicer, cleaner and more focused on my well being than any hospital I have visited in years.

When I consider all the money I spent in the last few years on SureSlim, MediFast, Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, NutriSystem, Atkins (OMG, I think I bought everything they sold at least twice)... I quickly came to the realization I was going to be spending that money anyways. Tie on top of that the extra cost for all the travel comforts (I could care less if I fly economy vs business class.... except for the width of the seat)... I finally came to the conclusion that even with my own money it would be worth it. We have no problem investing $10K in a car to drive us a round for a few years. Why the HELL won't we invest in the body that MOVES US EVERYWHERE FOR LIFE!!!!

For the non-bandsters thinking about it... you OWE it to yourself to invest in your health. You will be healthier... happier... and wiser. If you can get insurance to cover it... great. If not... find another way. You DESERVE IT!!!!

Taz

my BMI was right at 30 and i was banded on 10-23-08 so you should be just fine. I was a little worried that they would say no but they didn't even questions me. Good luck