Band Sizes

Does Dr. Ortiz seem to use one size band vs. the other size? It seems that you would need more fills with the larger band than the 4cc size. Which equals more $ and fill trips. I am being banded Nov. 20th and I am hoping for the 4cc band. Exactly how does the Dr. decide which size band to use? I think it has to do with the size of your stomach. Do heavier people, like 250 + usually receive the larger band, or does your current weight not matter?

Thanks,

Kimberly

Does Dr. Ortiz seem to use one size band vs. the other size? It seems that you would need more fills with the larger band than the 4cc size. Which equals more $ and fill trips. I am being banded Nov. 20th and I am hoping for the 4cc band. Exactly how does the Dr. decide which size band to use? I think it has to do with the size of your stomach. Do heavier people, like 250 + usually receive the larger band, or does your current weight not matter?

Thanks,

Kimberly

Interesting question. Can't really answer it except to say they tried a 4cc band in me, and quickly realized I needed a 10cc band due the size of my organs. I would doubt he favors any size. He puts the right one if that meant for you. It costs you the same thing either way.

I don't believe weight has anything to do with it. Its about how large your stomach is, and what they will need to wrap around the upper part of it.

Taz

Hello,

Welcome and good luck

Dr O makes the call when he is in there. I was also hoping for the 4cc band but got the 9cc. I think it just depends on the size of your "parts"

Susan

I was suprised when I looked through my stuff I have a 10cc band and I was 206 at the time of my surgery. So it's hard to say how it works. Maybe I have a big ole tummy in there. Would explain why i'm always hungry! :huh:

I had an Appointment yesterday with my Dr. and was told that I also have a 10cc band... But being at 276 when I had surgery, he said that to him if he would have just seen my stomach without knowing my weight he would have guessed I was alot smaller.... The band size and stomach size really dont have nothing to do with each other... sometimes they do sometimes they dont... The nurse was telling me that The 10 cc band I have is a newer band with a smaller height and depth and i cant remember the other word she used but it was just a new band they came out with and that I had nothing to worry about...

Hi Kimberly, I'm being banded on November 20th as well.

I'm hoping for the smaller band too but I'm sure the Doc will make the right choice for me.

This is interesting. Why are you hoping for a smaller band? It's not like we are talking about parking a Austin Mini vs a Hummer in there. You aren't going to notice a difference either way.

The doc will pick the band that is safe for you. The rest is up to you.

Taz

This is interesting. Why are you hoping for a smaller band? It's not like we are talking about parking a Austin Mini vs a Hummer in there. You aren't going to notice a difference either way.

The doc will pick the band that is safe for you. The rest is up to you.

Taz

Because with the larger band, it takes more fills and more time to get restriction.

Because with the larger band, it takes more fills and more time to get restriction.

This is not true. If your fill doc follows Inamed/Allergan's fill guidelines for the VG band, it will not necessarily take any longer to get restriction. My fill doc follows the guidelines to the letter. I got 3.5 ccs the first fill, 1.5 second and 1.5 third fill and I was at my sweet spot. Some doctors don't distinguish between the 2 bands and fill based upon the 4 cc band, and that would take FOREVER to get restriction. Most doctors are more 'in tune' than that though.

This is not true. If your fill doc follows Inamed/Allergan's fill guidelines for the VG band, it will not necessarily take any longer to get restriction. My fill doc follows the guidelines to the letter. I got 3.5 ccs the first fill, 1.5 second and 1.5 third fill and I was at my sweet spot. Some doctors don't distinguish between the 2 bands and fill based upon the 4 cc band, and that would take FOREVER to get restriction. Most doctors are more 'in tune' than that though.

I've been to 3 fill doctors now and they all told me the same thing. Including Dr. Ortiz by the way. (Actually counting the OCC would add another 2 doctors on my list bring it up to 5) and they all say the same thing. With the larger VG band it does take longer and more fills. You cannot go right up to 9 or 10 cc's right off the bat. It will swell you shut. It took me 6 fills to get to 9.2 and that is my first feel of restriction. If you got 3 fills in a VG band and are at your sweet spot, you are lucky, but thats not the norm. At least according to all the doctors I spoke to about it. However, the VG band is very rare. Mostly men get it and it does take men less fills even with the VG band. Thats the difference. You can see by my signature how many fills and how many cc's it took. I've had quite a few other people with the VG band e-mail me and say they were very happy to hear my story because they were begining to feel like a failure not realizing they had a ways to go before getting restriction with a VG band. Obviously I am not speaking about everyone with a VG band, but most poeple need more fills.