Thinking...and Looking...

I am 16 years old and 300 pounds at least, I have been thinking about the lap band for a little over 6 months, my only problem is I can't find a place in the United States that will give the lap band surgery to teens, also Im scared that if I went in with my parents to talk to my doctor I would get overwhelmed and cry since I am really sensitive to "weight" things, I was hoping someone would have some advice as to where to go.....and any experiences other teens and their parents have had...

Thanks!

Hi there, I am sorry you are struggling..would your parents be open to the idea of you having surgery in Tijuana Mexico? The OCC, which is the administator of this forum, does to surgery on teens. The cost is more reasonable than in the U.S. but generally not covered by insurance.

Review the posts and obtain as much info as you can and talk to your parents...good luck sweetie!!!

I am 16 years old and 300 pounds at least, I have been thinking about the lap band for a little over 6 months, my only problem is I can't find a place in the United States that will give the lap band surgery to teens, also Im scared that if I went in with my parents to talk to my doctor I would get overwhelmed and cry since I am really sensitive to "weight" things, I was hoping someone would have some advice as to where to go.....and any experiences other teens and their parents have had...

Thanks!

Hi! My name is Rhonda and my daughter Cori who is 14 had the lapband done on Nov. 6th by Dr. Ortiz. My daughter is doing great and my husband and I are very happy with everything. We had the same problem in the states and researched Dr. Ortiz. Please email me back and let me know if you or your parents would like to take to me or my daughter.

That is where we originally looked but there would be no way to pay for it unless we had insurance cover it, and in most places in the U.S. you have to be 18, but im not sure if they would make any exceptions for being extremely obese...

Try, all you can do is try...if not, when you turn 18...go for it!!!!

When Dr. Ortiz was on "The Doctor's" show last week, he mentioned that he had taught a pediatric doctor about lap band and that doctor has done 255 kids so far under the age of 18.

I would talk to your parents first, then go from there. If insurance does not pay, the Mexico would be another idea. Personally, I think Mexico is the best, but that is just my opinon.

I wish you the best of luck. You have your head on straight and thinking like a mature girl. Lap band is the safest way when diets do not work.

Just wondering (you definitely don't have to give this information out) but where do you live?

I'm also a teenager (and was banded 10 mos. ago), so I can relate.

--T

I'm not sure if that reply was to me, but if so I don't mind telling you where we live. Ontario, CA. Where do you live? Cori (my daughter) Would really like to talk to someone in her age group if that would be okay with you and can pass this on to her???

I read your weight loss. OMG! Thats great. My daughter has lost 30lbs as of Friday. She can't see it but we can.

I'm not sure if that reply was to me, but if so I don't mind telling you where we live. Ontario, CA. Where do you live? Cori (my daughter) Would really like to talk to someone in her age group if that would be okay with you and can pass this on to her???

I read your weight loss. OMG! Thats great. My daughter has lost 30lbs as of Friday. She can't see it but we can.

My son Joey was 13 when he was banded by Dr. Ortiz back in July. When he decided to get banded in mid-may, he was just under 300lbs. So far he's lost over 60 lbs!!! It works for teens!

Thanks!

Hi TwilightLover2010,

My 16year old daughter will be Banded on 12/12/08. I support her 150%!!!!. Have you spoken to your parents and told them how you feel? I know it's not only the physical aspect of being overweight, more importantly is the psychological issues teenagers (or anyone) goes thru because of the weight issue. I ask you because I am from New York, and I took my daughter to NY Presbyterian Hospital. My insurance would cover it for my daughter, but she wasn't big enough!!!! They told me she would have to be around 250 or so. I don't understand nor agree with them. My daughter might already be at risk of diabetes or other health issues..... why wait for her to gain any more weight. My daughter is 5'3" and 205lbs. So, I started researching, asking around.... until I ended up at Dr. Ortiz' website.

I can't wait (neither can she) for her to get Banded. And, the cost is about a third of what they charge in NY. Besides, you

don't have to wait around a year for it...

Hey there,

I have good news for you. I was banded at Northwest Weight Loss Surgery just a week and a half ago and I was just looking at there web site again. They have teen program. They are able to band teens starting at age 14. That is all I know about it but you should check out the website. I don't know where you are from, but no matter what they are worth the trip. I have never been treated so awesome in my life. The website is www.NWWLS.com

Check it out-they are great!