Violence in TJ

Hey Guys!

I just got back from a cruise out of San Diego where I met a ton of people from the area (I live in Canada) and I have to tell you, the issue of the murders and kidnappings in TJ came up at the breakfast/lunch/dinner table daily- casually brought up by people who had no idea I was going there in a couple weeks. It was like a jab in my gut every time someone would bring this up. My husband (who was already against the surgery wheteher I did it there or anywhere) would just give me the "told you so" glare/look every time it was casually brought up in conversation. I thought I was going to be sick- like I didn't have enough to worry about already with all of the changes that are about to unfold in my life.

I had no idea about all the violence there right now. I have never been concerned about the qulaity of care in Mexico (especially at OCC) but we're talking about innocent bystanders being murdered and kidnapped for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. One lady I met from San Diego has a vacation property there she won't even go to right now. I just did a google search in hopes of finding that the stories I was hearing were exagerated-nope. I am SO mad at myself for not knowing this before paying for flights, deposit etc. All I keep thinking of is my three and five-year old....the thought I could be leaving them without a mom `cause my three years of research wasn't thorough enough. How did I miss this????? I am so so so sad and stressed-not quite the frame of mind I was hoping to have as I start the two-week pre-op diet tomorrow.

Well Im not sure how to put your fears to rest but TJ and juariz have been bad for a long time but they pick you up and you never have to leave the really nice hotel or OCC. I felt very safe and the most I did was cross the street to get popcicles. Now crossing the street was like playing frogger LOL But that was the scariest part. I know its the best decision I have ever made for me and my family. I have more energy just losing 17 lbs. Try and keep your thoughts on whats good about this. My surgery took 10 min. Dr O is the BEST in the world and worth going down.

My husband and I have walked across the border to take a cab to OCC many times, and have never experienced any problems. I would not walk around Tijuana by myself, but if you just stay in the hotel and in the clinic I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Hi, When I was there in January for my son's surgery, One of the biggest murder sprees happened, and I knew nothing about it untill i got back, The clinic and hotel are right on the other side of the border, I never felt like I was in danger, even after knowing about the crime spree, (which happens in all big cities) I still went back in May for my surgery, and again I never felt like I was in any danger.

I never would walk alone after dark and I wouldn't venture off the beaten path. The murders have to do with the police and drug lords.

If your worried, hang out at the hotel, and just take the shuttle to the clinic, I haven't heard of anyone going to the OCC being kidnapped or murdered.

good luck with what you decide.

We heard the same things before we went and we were completely safe there. We even left the hotel and walked across the street to the store. No problems. They were very nice at the Hotel and at OCC. They knew exactly where we should and should not go. There was no way I would venture out without talking to the hotel about it. They were very nice to explain.

The same thing happened to me when I went to Washington DC, someone freaked me out. Telling me it was the murder capital of the world and I was scarred to death. I went anyway, cause I had to, it was for my job. But again, I talked to the hotel I was at and they were nice and told me where I should and should not go. And also told me about traveling to places alone and what I should expect.

Trust me on this one. I worried too. If you talk to the hotel and tell them your fears, they will direct you. It is safe there at the hotel and the OCC van does not take you to where you dont want to be. They know the area. The clinic is safe and they too are very aware of what is going on and where not to go. With anywhere you go, you have to know the rules of where you are. I would hope that if it was that unsafe that every person on here would be telling you not to go. But I dont see that. I think that if you keep cool, keep your eyes open and communicate with the staff involved. You should have a good trip. I know I did, we just went in Sept.

ValleyGirl ~ don't stress out babe. You are in good hands with OCC. As Margaret said, you will be taken care of the moment you get out of the airport and back to the airport. You will not get out of the van until you reach OCC. After surgery, you will be back in the van and delivered to Hotel Lucerna and back to the airport.

My hubby and I walked across the street to get popsicles (oh this was a must!) from the liquor store, and as Margaret said, yes, crossing the street was really something but that is because of the "Glorietta" (which is where you have 4 roads coming to a round centered intersection, ALL going at the same time. HA! It's really funny to watch from our room balcony. All the cars stopped when we crossed at the crosswalk...no big deal, just a lot of cars, that's all.

BUT, at NO time did I ever felt threatened where I was taken, to or fro from the border, OCC, or the hotel.

Also, don't make TJ an "outsider" for violence. It is ALL OVER THE WORLD! Like anything/everywhere else, there will always be some kind of violence going on and you just need to be aware and on alert with your surroundings. But don't get paranoid and wait for violence to happen, it's not healthy.

Rest assure that you will be taken care of sweetheart! And, if I hadn't been banded yet, hearing of this recent violence, I will still go to my scheduled surgery. Think positive and focus for the reason why you are getting this surgery.

Hope this helps calm you down...((HUGS!))...Jude ^,,^

Everthing will be fine, I promise you!! The OCC shuttles you everywhere and like the others said, don't go anywhere by yourself. I went to Revolution Ave. with my hubby and 11yr old daughter. Now we kept ahold of her the entire time, she NEVER left our sight. I've been to TJ three times this year and never saw ONE bad thing, not one! I know it's happening but the Hotel yard is fenced in and I felt very safe. I never stepped outside of the Hotel by myself, nor would I ever. Two of the three times I went, I went by myself! Flew down, stayed at the Lucerna and flew back to Pa.!!

Please relax and try to enjoy yourself. ;) Darlene

The violence level has been escalating for about a year with the President taking a hard line against organized crime there. The simple fact is you are picked up at the airport by OCC and you are returned to the airport by OCC. If you are that concerned stay around the Lucerne when you release from OCC. I have no doubt you will be safe there just don't unnecessarily wander around.

Jann

We were there Oct.14th, and did not see even a frown! Picked up, at airport, and driven straight to the clinic, after surgery, and night at clinic,( everyone there was amazing!) back to the hotel, we walked around the area, got mani's, and pedicures, had a lovely bowl of BROTH, and caught a cab back to hotel. Not ever a problem. Some of the group went to Revoltion Street, and had a great time, with out problems. Just be aware of your surrounding, and pay attention,most everone we encounterd was very helpful, and kind. Anywhere in the world there is a chance that you could encounter a problem, but we had none. It was truely a wonderful experience, in fact my friend and I are talking about just going down and enjoying the hotel,for a few days! :D

Guest CaraMBA09
Hey Guys!

I just got back from a cruise out of San Diego where I met a ton of people from the area (I live in Canada) and I have to tell you, the issue of the murders and kidnappings in TJ came up at the breakfast/lunch/dinner table daily- casually brought up by people who had no idea I was going there in a couple weeks. It was like a jab in my gut every time someone would bring this up. My husband (who was already against the surgery wheteher I did it there or anywhere) would just give me the "told you so" glare/look every time it was casually brought up in conversation. I thought I was going to be sick- like I didn't have enough to worry about already with all of the changes that are about to unfold in my life.

I had no idea about all the violence there right now. I have never been concerned about the qulaity of care in Mexico (especially at OCC) but we're talking about innocent bystanders being murdered and kidnapped for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. One lady I met from San Diego has a vacation property there she won't even go to right now. I just did a google search in hopes of finding that the stories I was hearing were exagerated-nope. I am SO mad at myself for not knowing this before paying for flights, deposit etc. All I keep thinking of is my three and five-year old....the thought I could be leaving them without a mom `cause my three years of research wasn't thorough enough. How did I miss this????? I am so so so sad and stressed-not quite the frame of mind I was hoping to have as I start the two-week pre-op diet tomorrow.

my aunt and I went out two nights in a row...once for dinner down the road and we got a cab back and the other to the festival after my surgery. We also walked to the market across the street and went to Revolucion and were safe. I hate to say it, but I consider the US far more dangerous than what I experienced in TJ!

you are stressing for nothin' if you are really that concerned, don't leave the hotel! it is a 4 star hotel in a nice area...if you can call TJ nice...LOL. Everyone is so incredibly nice and friendly...you will wonder what you were so freaked out about.

good luck, with whatever you decide, I will tell you this...you will regret not having the surgery if you cancel. I have lost 15 lbs in 8 weeks since surgery and would do this all over again!

Don't worry. TJ is like anywhere else. We have crazy murders in the USA all the time. When I went for surgery, I felt very safe. We even went shopping on Revolution avenue. The main thing I was told was to not go out after dark. I felt so safe, that in May when I went back I took my 3 kids with me (I am a single parent). We rode the trolley to the border, walked across the border (wow what a long walk), then took a taxi to OCC. Never once did I feel scared. As a matter of fact, my kids and I did this twice. Then in July I went with a girl friend of mine and we did the same thing and also went shopping around town, NO problems at all. You will be fine. I think the news likes to really hit on other places in order to keep from telling all the bad stuff in the USA. Don't worry and have a GREAT time, I know my friends and I sure did. You will be very safe, just don't go out after dark. Best of luck with your band, YOU have made the BEST decision ever!!!

I was down there on the 27th of October, the night before we got there one of the bigtime drug cartels had been arrested. We were told by the staff at the the hotel that Tj was kind of wound up because of all of it, and that it would be best to just stay close to the hotel. Now, me being a small town girl, was less than thrilled with all of this. But I have to say, I felt very safe at the hotel, and felt even safer at the clinic... HONEST. I'm a big chicken.. LOL We did though, have the feeling that we would feel better in San Diego the second night there. So we had the OCC take us across the border, and we got a room close to the pier.. we love it down there. Then in the morning the shuttle from the hotel took us to the airport. Either way, if you feel unsure, just stay in the hotel, we enjoyed just the "no kid" quiet time sitting outside by the pool. You'll be fine.. And heck.. i was so looped up on drugs at the clinic, I really didn't even think it about it.. not once.. The hotel staff seemed to be really honest with us.. just ask them, they will let you know if you should wander out. Best Wishes..

jamie

Hey Guys!

I live in San Diego and have been to the OCC twice for both of my fills since surgery and we haven't had a problem once. You just need to be aware of your surroundings, like any place. Don't worry. You will be fine!

First, the violence is drug and gang related and rarely if ever are regular people on the street caught up in any of it. There is no more violence there than anywhere else in the world. Google your own hometown and you wil see just as much. Tijuana has always gotten a bad rap that they can't seem to get rid of.

That being said, I was there 3 times this year. March, May and June. Never saw any problems anywhere and we walked all over the place. We walked from the OCC to the hotel, the mall the movies everywhere. We just didn't go out after dark.

If you are that afraid, just don't ever leave the hotel except for the surgery. I can promise you that the you will be taken care of very well by the hotel staff.

You can Google murder and violence in Phoenix, Seattle, Washington DC, Kansas City, ....

and you'll find it.

I'm not aware of anyone on this forum ever having issues with safety. I've walked over the border alone. And back, alone.

I won't say it isn't a concern, but it's not anything to dwell on.

You always hear the "bad things" that happen, but there is good presence of the police all around TJ and you will see them riding around in trucks at all hours. Just be SAFE and SANE and use your common sense that God has given you....don't travel alone, or after dark....stay in populated areas....don't flash money or expensive jewelry.....the usual stuff. I have traveled all over the world and you hear this stuff from everywhere, but you will be safe at the Lucerna and you will be safe at the clinic and should have no need to leave those facilities unless you want to. Relax and enjoy your mini-vacation and don't worry so much.

Donna