Just scheduled

I am new to all of this. I am scheduled for December 15th, 2008. I have really enjoyed reading all of your posts, tips and encouragements.

I do not personally know of anyone that has had the Lap Band Surgery. The few people that I have told are freaked out when I say "Tijuana". Luckily, I have total support from my husband and a very close friend. I will be looking to you guys for my support group. Right now I am at 269lbs. and have not started my pre-op diet.

Do any of you personally know of anyone that has maintained their goal weight? Probably like all of you, I have tried about every diet out there. Thus, my sign in "Determination". I am looking forward to following your success stories.

I live in a very rural, high altitude (cold), beautiful place. Enterprise, Oregon

Congrats, I've had my band for over 2 years and I'm learning the maintenance program. I’ve lost over 130 pounds and trying to get to that perfect weight. So far I’ve been too skinny, and now I just looked at some pictures of me that I hate and I feel I need to lose 10 to 15 more pounds. But truthfully based on how I eat now, I can even fathom how I’d ever gain my weight back like I use to.

I have the VG band (the big one) and had it filled to 6.5 cc’s – since I’m on maintenance I had it unfilled to under 4.5’s, its working fine. If I want to loose more weight I just add in exercise and cut back – (which I’m doing right now).

Its lifelong - it’s not easy - it’s a tool that you have to work to succeed and you need to add in exercise if you want to move at a consistent pace.

Good luck and again, congrats on your decision to get the band. (I'm from the very beautiful Northwest town of Snoqualmie WA)

Best,

Lisa

Hi Lisa, Thank you for responding. You are doing great! I plan to follow in your footsteps. There are several questions that I have.

Do you fly back to Tijuana to have your fills? Dr. Ortiz's office did give me some recomendations for Doctors in Oregon and Washington. But for me, either way is going to be quite a distance to travel. The closest one that was on the list was a doctor in Richland, WA. For me, the one that was highly recommended was a doctor in Eugene. That is 7 1/2 hours away.

Also, are you able to wear normal clothes on your way home or did you have to purchase something loose fitting? I appreciate all and any information that you can give me.

Thanks again.

You know, I didn't even NOTICE Tijuana. As soon as we crossed the border we were at the clinic. After a night in the hospital we were whisked away to Hotel Lucerna. I live close to Tijuana and wasn't into the shopping and just hung out around the pool area and in the workout room on the tread mill. I did walk down to the salon a couple of blocks away but didn't really notice the "ugly" side of TJ.

I took down a pair of sweat pants and t-shirt and wore my yoga pants and t-shirt there and had a night shirt.

Good luck and keep coming here to post.

Hello,

I flew back for my first fill, to check on everything and make sure I was good, then I had the rest in WA state in Olympia. I just wore a loose dress I already had on the way home with comfy flats. Just think of trying to keep everything tight away from your stitches. I did wear a bra, some don't - comfy and loose, no underwire.

Good luck!

Lisa

Good luck on your surgery. I commend you for scheduling it smack dab in the holiday season. Just think.... the average 7-10 lbs we all gain during this time, you'll be losing instead!

Welcome to the forum!

Denise

I sometimes wonder if scheduling before Christmas was such a good idea. I won't have a problem, but I am worried about the family. I definitely do not want the attention on me. Well, I now have have 24 days left. I sure like getting my ducks in a row. I have been going through catalogs today trying to find something that would qualify as loose. I have never been one to have sweat pants, I look hideous in them. So on goes my search.

I have been contemplating flying down for my first fill. I figured it would probably be cheaper than having my first fill with a doctor in the states. If I understand it right, the price includes a couple fills. I hope that I have interpreted that right. I love to fly and what better excuse than to get a fill. But like you said Lisa, that would be the only one. Making sure that everything was as it should be.

I am also thinking on doing the 7 day pre-op diet. It just sounds easier. I hate to plan food. Oops, that could be a future problem. I am so interested in how everyone is losing their weight. I really appreciate anyone who is willing to share.

On the downside. My sisters have told me that they do not approve or support what I am doing. I am trying to figure out where I made the mistake of letting them think that I needed there approval? Did anyone else have family that expressed their opinions so bluntly?

Well, I remember a few more questions that I have right after I posted the other blog. How do the doctors decide on what size of band you get? I've notice on several of the different topics that I have read, that many seem to have different sizes. Does it depend on your size?

:) Anne

Well, I remember a few more questions that I have right after I posted the other blog. How do the doctors decide on what size of band you get? I've notice on several of the different topics that I have read, that many seem to have different sizes. Does it depend on your size?

:) Anne

Hi Anne,

It's base on what the dr sees, during your surgery, the fatty tissues around your liver, is when he determines what size band to use on you...

Dear Anne,

I commend you for doing this during the holiday times. I am coming up on my 1 year bandaversary so I did this during the holidays also. It wasn't too bad, I wasn't hungry most of the time anyways and it was a great Christmas gift for myself!!! I went down for my first fill to TJ. It is $100 for the flouroscopy and the fill....quite a deal. Otherwise I get my fills locally with Northwest fills in Arlington Washington. I am planning on a trip to Mexico following my cruise in two weeks and have just scheduled to get my 4th fill and flouro. I want my husband to see the clinic (I went alone last year) and meet everyone. Don't worry about everyone else's opinions on the surgery....most of them are uninformed about the procedure, the doctors, the clinic and the care that you will recieve. You can change their minds as they see your progress and sucess! I have lost about 65 pounds this year and have needed a new fill for a while now so I haven't lost in a few months. I have NEVER had any sucess at weight loss in the past and have no willpower whatsoever, so this says a lot. I have gone from a size 24 to a comfortable size 16-18. It has been gradual and the health benefits are tremendous. I am no longer diabetic, I no longer have high blood pressure, and my cholestrol levels are all in normal ranges and I don't have GERD anymore. I feel wonderful!

Good Luck,

Donna

It sounds like you are doing great! I have been making my flight plans today. I wish the waiting wasn't so long. I am so ready right now.

Another question that I have, is the $500 deposit deducted or included in the total fee. Or is the $500 added to the figure?

Glad to know there is another northwest person! From what I read there are several of us. I am definitely looking forward to the health benefits.

I do realize that I can't worry about what my sisters say, I am doing this for me and I feel that where I am going is the top of the line.

Anne

It sounds like you are doing great! I have been making my flight plans today. I wish the waiting wasn't so long. I am so ready right now.

Another question that I have, is the $500 deposit deducted or included in the total fee. Or is the $500 added to the figure?

Glad to know there is another northwest person! From what I read there are several of us. I am definitely looking forward to the health benefits.

I do realize that I can't worry about what my sisters say, I am doing this for me and I feel that where I am going is the top of the line.

Anne

Anne...the $500 is included with the fee, not extra. If in doubt, contact OCC for clarification.

And GOOD FOR YOU to think of yourself first! YOU is what important...WTG!

• 2 weeks later...

Anne

Hi Anne,

I (and my mom) are scheduled to have surgery at OCC on 12/12 departing on 12/14. I brought my 30 y/o son to OCC last April, he has lost 64 pounds. I live in Bend, Oregon, he lives in Vancouver, WA. There is a fantastic dr in Portland. Her name is Dr Kelly Fitzpatrick. She charged $190 for his first fill. She was amazing, went right to his port. It was painless and perfect. Not to mention her bedside manner was awesome!

Perhaps we could meet there for our first fill first part of Feb?

BTW, OCC is cleaner than any hospital I've EVER been in the US. I have a pacemaker and a previous DS surgery 6 years ago, so have other health factors...and after meeting with Dr O, have NO hesitations on having him help me with surgery!

Regards, Cindy

Hi Cindy, What time are you and your mom checking out? I thought that possibly we could meet. I am not arriving in San Diego until 10:36am. The idea of meeting in Portland sounds like fun. It will all decide where I decide to go to get my fills. Well, Good Luck on your surgery. At least you are going into this with your eyes wide open, what with your son and all. Have a great day. Anne

Hi Cindy, What time are you and your mom checking out? I thought that possibly we could meet. I am not arriving in San Diego until 10:36am. The idea of meeting in Portland sounds like fun. It will all decide where I decide to go to get my fills. Well, Good Luck on your surgery. At least you are going into this with your eyes wide open, what with your son and all. Have a great day. Anne

Hi Anne,

Dr O wanted me to stay an extra day due to my medcial history. So we booked our flight back on Sunday at 7am....argh! So, I'm afraid I'll miss you this trip but Ill keep in touch.

My email is Cynthia1081@yahoo

Cindy

I live in Portland, Oregon and was banded at OCC on 09/19/08 with my husband, his band is bigger than mine and he has lost more weight then me but they say that is normal. We both went to Olympia Washington for our first fill but our second which is on the 19th we are going to Dr Kelly Kitzpatrick. I hear she is real good. There is also the fill center in Salem. I hear they are good too. You will have a great time while you are down there and that OCC has great people. Let us know of your progress and how you are doing. Shopping down there was a blast. I can't wait to go back someday. I need another purse. HA! Relax have a good time. It is worth it.

I have an I.T. and Medical background, so I'll give you my take.

Carmalita has a better "stick" than I do...(and I used 16ga and 18g needles on people so if she can stick better than me, that's sayin' something.) All the females there were very sweet to everyone that was there the day I had my surgery. All the males were very patient and attentive. The doctors and nurses were all concerned about their patients, and were more than happy to answer questions, or ease people's concerns.

Now, I've been in a few hospitals, (not as a patient), but I have seen the care some people receive, and I will tell you that beyond the shadow of a doubt, the OCC centre is a top notch facility. I received better care there than I would have in the states. That being said, they have things set up as an assembly in process only...but the process doesn't feel like you're part of an assembly line. It's fast, efficient, yet attends to the patient's needs. On a scale of 1-10 by US standards, I'd give it an 11.

I have an I.T. and Medical background, so I'll give you my take.

Carmalita has a better "stick" than I do...(and I used 16ga and 18g needles on people so if she can stick better than me, that's sayin' something.) All the females there were very sweet to everyone that was there the day I had my surgery. All the males were very patient and attentive. The doctors and nurses were all concerned about their patients, and were more than happy to answer questions, or ease people's concerns.

Now, I've been in a few hospitals, (not as a patient), but I have seen the care some people receive, and I will tell you that beyond the shadow of a doubt, the OCC centre is a top notch facility. I received better care there than I would have in the states. That being said, they have things set up as an assembly in process only...but the process doesn't feel like you're part of an assembly line. It's fast, efficient, yet attends to the patient's needs. On a scale of 1-10 by US standards, I'd give it an 11.

Hi Trav,

I couldn't agree with you more! It is an amazing facility with very caring people. My surgery is friday and I am not the least bit nervous. I agree with you on the "assembly line" but also agree that you realize it is the most effecient way. The bad part was my son was last at 4:30pm, so it was a very long day of waiting....but his room couldn't have been more comfortable.

Stormy,

I am surprised you went to olympia for your fill when (it sounds like) you knew about Dr Fitzpatrick in Portland. She is amazing, knowledgeable, and has a great sense of humor. Btw, the first fill is only $195, the second (which my son hasn't had yet) is much less expensive.

My best to all of you!

Cindy

I was banded on Nov 28th and i too was very worried due to my extensive medical history. My doctors in the States thought i was nuts and of course so did my family and friends. The OCC took so much care with me you would have thought i was a china doll. They called my doctors clinic and talked on the phone with staff on how to administer my special medications. Dr. Ortiz even came in prior to surgery and talked with me for a long time about Las Vegas and other things. He also said that due to my medical issue he would have to pull out the funky tools. He made me so at ease ( oh yeah hot doc alert also) I love the OCC and staff they are the best. My family and friends ask me if i would do it again or if i had more money would i still go to TJ(OCC) and i say " Hell YES) Jazzy and all you others that supported me through good and bad are also awsome. No worries for all that have pending surgeries. Oh yeah Mrs. Ortiz was soooooo nice

Shana-Lee

Stormy,

I am surprised you went to olympia for your fill when (it sounds like) you knew about Dr Fitzpatrick in Portland. She is amazing, knowledgeable, and has a great sense of humor. Btw, the first fill is only $195, the second (which my son hasn't had yet) is much less expensive.

My best to all of you!

Cindy

Hi Cindy,

I live in the Portland area and am being banded on the 29th of this month - I am interested in learning more about Dr. Fitzpatrick. If you don't mind answering some questions I would apprecaite it. Is she in Portland or a suburb? Is she a general MD or with a weight loss clinic? Any additional info you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Dawn

Hi Cindy,

I live in the Portland area and am being banded on the 29th of this month - I am interested in learning more about Dr. Fitzpatrick. If you don't mind answering some questions I would apprecaite it. Is she in Portland or a suburb? Is she a general MD or with a weight loss clinic? Any additional info you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Dawn

Hi Dawn,

She is in Milwaukie, right off the freeway. From what I understand (2nd hand info), she used to be a bariatric nurse and then got her MD. She is really comfortable, and knows what she is doing. I will definately travel to Portland (I live in Bend) to see her for my first fill in Feb. I worried about a dr not wanting to see my son after having the Lap band in Mx (which he did last April)...she doesn't mind at all and is very understanding about it. She general MD who focuses on a nature pathic practice and specializes in the lap band community. Here's a link to her www.http://gastricbands.com/_wsn/page2.html

Feel free to email me anytime.

Cindy

Cynthia1081@yahoo.com

I was banded on Nov 28th and i too was very worried due to my extensive medical history. My doctors in the States thought i was nuts and of course so did my family and friends. The OCC took so much care with me you would have thought i was a china doll. They called my doctors clinic and talked on the phone with staff on how to administer my special medications. Dr. Ortiz even came in prior to surgery and talked with me for a long time about Las Vegas and other things. He also said that due to my medical issue he would have to pull out the funky tools. He made me so at ease ( oh yeah hot doc alert also) I love the OCC and staff they are the best. My family and friends ask me if i would do it again or if i had more money would i still go to TJ(OCC) and i say " Hell YES) Jazzy and all you others that supported me through good and bad are also awsome. No worries for all that have pending surgeries. Oh yeah Mrs. Ortiz was soooooo nice

Shana-Lee

That is awesome Shana-Lee! So glad your surgery went so well and yes, OCC's staff are WONDERFUL! I couldn't agree with you more for their patient care...impeccable and the attitudes are unflappable!! I am blessed, really, that I live in San Diego, for me to go there for my fills!

Keep us posted on your weight loss for you are going for an amazing ride of your life!! ((HUGS!))

Hello All, I emailed OCC about follow-up care. They replied right away with a list of recommended doctors for what they thought was in my area. Dr. Kelly Fitzpatrick was at the top of the list, and in capital letters they wrote highly recommend.

Dr. Fitzpatrick also works out of Eugene, she must travel back forth to Portland. For me to go to Portland is a 5 1/2 hour drive. But just so most of you know, and obviously her work speaks for itself. She was the most recommended from OCC.

Cindy, even though it is quite a distance. I seriously am thinking of going to her. The other closest one that they sent me is in Richland, WA., which is 3 1/2 hours away. So what is a couple more to have the best.

Anne

P.S. 4 days till my surgery :lol:

Hello All, I emailed OCC about follow-up care. They replied right away with a list of recommended doctors for what they thought was in my area. Dr. Kelly Fitzpatrick was at the top of the list, and in capital letters they wrote highly recommend.

Dr. Fitzpatrick also works out of Eugene, she must travel back forth to Portland. For me to go to Portland is a 5 1/2 hour drive. But just so most of you know, and obviously her work speaks for itself. She was the most recommended from OCC.

Cindy, even though it is quite a distance. I seriously am thinking of going to her. The other closest one that they sent me is in Richland, WA., which is 3 1/2 hours away. So what is a couple more to have the best.

Anne

P.S. 4 days till my surgery :lol:

Hi Anne,

I couldn't agree with you more about a couple of hours drive when you know you're going to one of the best. Did you check the price in Richland? I found a dr here in Bend who would do my fills, but it was $1000 (that would include up to 7 fills), regardless of how many times I went in.

Dr Fitzpatrick was so awesome with my son (who was scared out of his mind being awake and having a needle stuck in his belly)......he "hardly felt it". She also has a great bedside manner. In fact, I have scheduled my first fill with her on friday 1/23.

I'll keep you posted this weekend!

Cindy