My surgery is creeping up

Ok my new friends my surgery is next week and i have not a clue what to bring :o . I saw others list and then someone said they brought tooo much and then someone said they should have brought XY and Z hmmmmm. Ok you help me through the hard times last week now please help me through the better times so i can be ready to go.... So this is what i have so far........ Suitcase HELP

Thanks for all the help in advance

Shana-Lee

Hi there! The key is to take very little!!! I thought I packed light and I ended up taking way too much. Here is what I suggest:

-VERY loose comfy clothes. Sweatpants, etc...and comfy shoes

-Gas X strips - necessity!

-Kellogs H2O powder packets that you can put in a bottle of water.

-If you have a laptop take it with you - Lucerna has free wifi and it kept me sane. Only a few of the stations were in English and it was either my computer or a Sunset Tan marathon.

- Many people take bullion cubes and I did as well, but never even opened them. I just ordered jello and broth from the hotel and it did me just fine.

- Make sure you have your birth certificate, another form of ID or your passport for when you cross the border.

- All your OCC paperwork and your money unless you do paypal.

Camera - hotel is pretty and there are some great opportunities for photo ops.

- You can buy bottled water and gatorade when you get there. There is a convenience store right across the street.

- Liquid Tylenol for pain.

Am I missing anything folks? Again take as little as possible and if you have luggage with the wheels on it be sure and take that. You won't be able to lift anything so being able to pull that saved me.

Good luck!!!

Thanks for that list Shelby! My surgery isn't until January 9th but I am starting to get really excited and want to get everything ready before the holidays since it's always such a crazy time of year!

I want to bring just a carry on bag so I don't have to pay for a checked bag... but I wanted to bring some stuff to knit while I'm laying around in bed and some how I don't thing you are allowed to carry on big 'ol knitting needles!!

Well, I posted my giant list a couple of weeks ago and I STILL brought too much. Here's what I would do:

I wore sweat pants and loose shirt and flip flops

Brought along a pair of yoga pants, undies, top and bra that closed in front

I changed into my night shirt when I was able to and a pair of yoga pants. You can substitute your jammies/robe here.

I had my iphone and charger so no need for the laptop and movies plus that made my bag heavier not to mention there were computers available at the clinic and at the hotel

Toiletries

Phazyme

GasX Strips

Fuzzy Crocs

Jacket (it got a little cold while I was there)

Passport

Money

Protein Water powder

Granted, I live 2 hours away and have frequently shopped in TJ, so it wasn't on my to do list. I left Weds morning, surgery Weds morning, Hotel Lucerna Thurs day/night, came home early Fri morning. I highly recommend a back pack. I had trouble carrying a shoulder bag even though it had regular handles, I had trouble with that as well.

I did have problems calling out with my iphone. I could receive phone calls, texts and email but couldn't call out or send texts. I could email out. I am sure others will chime in. You could call for free from the clinic and there was a phone in your room.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your journey. I know I waited a long time for this and I am so excited!

in addition, i made sure to bring a blank notebook and i journaled my brains out. it was great. ;)

Just got home from the OCC today. I took powdered chicken broth mix. It tasted as good as the broth at the hotel restuarant. I just ran bottled water through the coffee pot and mixed it in a cup. It dissolves much more quickly than the bouillon. I bought it in the Hispanic section of my Wal-Mart and I got a large bottle for like $1.56. DO NOT FORGET THE PHAZYME!!!

Don't stress or worry too much. Anything you need can be bought at the Plaza Rio mall. The staff at the OCC are wonderful, the clinic is extremely clean, they took awesome care of me.

When you come out of surgery have someone Karate chop your back (like a massage) frequently. The nurse did that for me several times and my gas pain has been minimal. I was still high on anesthesia the first time she did it, so I just vaguely remember it, but my husband said she beat the ---- out of me. But it seemed to work, so try it.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Kimberly

I left Weds morning, surgery Weds morning, Hotel Lucerna Thurs day/night, came home early Fri morning.

My surgery isn't until Jan 14th, which is a Wed as well. I live about 2 hrs away, maybe less, and will be driving in. What time did you arrive, and what time was your surgery? I was hoping that I will make it in time with work traffic.

Also what is Phazyme?

OK Ladies!

Click on the below link ~ this was put together from Julie who started it and then some add to the list. This is the list I went by ~ DO NOT OVERPACK...you will NOT use everything! Trust me.

http://www.lapbandforum.com/index.php?showtopic=7005

All I took was:

~ my MINI suitcase on wheels

~ ONE change of clothes (what I wore (comfy, LOOSE) going; don't need clothes after surgery; I use a change of clothing when I left to go to the hotel; and last day I wore the clothes I came with)

~ slip on shoes (so I won't have to bend over and hurt my stitches area)

~ my toiletries

~ "to go" packet of Special K2O water

~ Gas X strips (take 2 strips at a time)

~ OCC paperwork (Helath surgery) and final payment, if any

~ Passport, picture ID, and money in small bills

DRESS FOR THE WEATHER! If it is cold, wear appropriate shoes and jacket

You won't get bored...either you will sleep and rest or you will walk around and browse. You will not be bored. The restaurant serves good food. Across the street you can get some popsicles (yummy) for snacks.

GOOD LUCK! Hope this helps...

Okay, I am like ckiki. What is PHAZYME? It is like everyone has this lingo that I have no clue what they are talking about. Curious minds would like to know. Anne

• 2 weeks later...