DO I JUST NEED TO STAY OFF THE SCALES?

Hi everyone!

Im sure that this is not the first time this has been posted. I have followed my pre-op and post op diet to a fine point! I can honestly say I have not cheated one time and have done everything as instructed. Friday will be one month and this week is the 1st real week of "food". I have gained a pound in the last 4 days :angry: . I am just making sure I am doing what I am suppose to do. This is a normal day for me.

B- 6oz high protein shake made w/skim milk and a little V8 between breakfast and lunch.

L - I have had of the following between 3-3.5 0z chicken salad, tuna salad, chicken breast. It is hard to eat the full 3.5 oz.

Snack -I have been eating 21 (i counted them out per serving) of cashews for a snack and 6oz high protein skake -made with skim milk between lunch and Dinner.

D-I have had one of the following 3oz of grilled chicken breast, a 3 oz salmon pattie, 4 chicken wings, or 3oz Tilapia with 1/2 cup pinto beans

Most of the time I dont not eat my veggies because I am full.

Throughout the day and Before I go to bed I drink water or G2.

Please tell me if I should add or cut out something or just stay off the dang scales!!!!

Thanks!

Stay off the scales!!! Girl, I think everyone was in the same boat you are... I gained 2 in the first couple of days after solids... But your body gets used to it and loses it PLUS some... More than once in your life with this band, you will see that you will gain a pd here or there. Its normal. But just always know that it will come off

I was told by Dr. Ortiz that once you go on solid food, that shakes should be eliminated because they go straight through the band and they are high in calories but you get no fullness from them. Maybe try cutting that out and increasing your protien intake in other ways.....

The scales can be evil! Don't stress over a pound or two..they will come back off and then some once your body gets adjusted to the new way you are eating. Stay strong!

Hi everyone!

Im sure that this is not the first time this has been posted. I have followed my pre-op and post op diet to a fine point! I can honestly say I have not cheated one time and have done everything as instructed. Friday will be one month and this week is the 1st real week of "food". I have gained a pound in the last 4 days :angry: . I am just making sure I am doing what I am suppose to do. This is a normal day for me.

B- 6oz high protein shake made w/skim milk and a little V8 between breakfast and lunch.

L - I have had of the following between 3-3.5 0z chicken salad, tuna salad, chicken breast. It is hard to eat the full 3.5 oz.

Snack -I have been eating 21 (i counted them out per serving) of cashews for a snack and 6oz high protein skake -made with skim milk between lunch and Dinner.

D-I have had one of the following 3oz of grilled chicken breast, a 3 oz salmon pattie, 4 chicken wings, or 3oz Tilapia with 1/2 cup pinto beans

Most of the time I dont not eat my veggies because I am full.

Throughout the day and Before I go to bed I drink water or G2.

Please tell me if I should add or cut out something or just stay off the dang scales!!!!

Thanks!

Amy is right that we all gain somewhat during this time and this is very normal as you are getting food in your stomach. CindyLou is correct in NOT taking shakes during your solid days. Eat food at every meals, 3 times a day and your snack

I noticed you said for lunch you had a hard time eating the full 3/5 oz - then DON'T! For EACH meal, you should have the following portion control: 2 -3 oz meat/poultry/fish, 1/4 cup veggie/fruit and 1/4 cup of grain/starches, per meal, 3 times a day and not over 1200 calories total daily. If you exercises daily, increase calories to 1500. As well, eat in that order...protein is ALWAYS first, then veggie/fruit and then grain/starches.

I also noticed you did say any red meat? Don't stick with too much poultry on a daily routine, otherwise you may be a good candidate for gout...and this is not a good thing. Have steak or even ground beef in your meal like every 3 days...red meats are good source of proteins as well as pork!

For the scale ~ put it away for now. It does you NO good to worry about it now! You are just starting on the weight loss journey and you will be going up and down in numbers throughout the month for a number of reasons, such as your period, hard core exercises, stress situations, constipation issues, etc. So, do a once of month type of thing... which is what I am doing on my monthly anniversary date and take pictures too so you can SEE the difference as you go.

Just to ditto what everyone has said don't let it get to you. I know it is frustrating, but from what I understand most people gain once they start on solids. I gained about three and it took me 3 weeks to get it off. I still was up a bit at the time of my first fill, but my doctor was amazed I was only up by .2 at that time and not more. It took me a lot to get back to where it was only that much. Once you start getting fills, that is when the weight loss will begin. If you do lose any before that it's great! Don't let it frustrate you - until your first fill that is all healing time. And even with a first fill that is more just a preparation for your stomach for real restriction. Remember this is a process and will take time. Good luck!

I know you all say stay off the scales, but why? I weigh everyday so my weight is in the forefront in my mind. I don't get upset if I am up a lb because in a few days, I will be down 3lbs. By weighing everyday, I have truly learned what foods are best for my body. (when I hold water, etc.) Don't be afraid of the scales. So what if you gain a lb, it will come off if you are a committed Bandster! If you don't weigh everyday, set a day and always weigh then. By the way, I didn't gain any weight once I started on solids. I held my weight for 2 weeks. But, I was also weighing everyday to make sure it wasn't going up! I would suggest cut the V8 juice and maybe the G2 and increase your water, see if your weight comes back down. (maybe it is water retention)

Guest CaraMBA09
I was told by Dr. Ortiz that once you go on solid food, that shakes should be eliminated because they go straight through the band and they are high in calories but you get no fullness from them. Maybe try cutting that out and increasing your protien intake in other ways.....

I completely disagree with this statement.

Jillian Michaels and many other trainers feel that a high quality protein shake is at times more nutritionally sound and filling than other items.

I personally make myself an EAS Myoplex Lite powder shake with an extra scoop of Whey Powder everyday (I add a banana or some kind of fruit and 1/2 cup of FF yogurt) w/ benefiber

Not only is it incredibly satisfying and will keep me full for hours, but it provides 50G of protein, calcium, fiber.

I portion it out and place what I dont drink in the freezer, so when I am on the go, I have a shake ready to defrost.

Since I take this much protein, I have never had a problem with hair loss or anything else.

Just a reminder also, until you hit that 'sweet spot', much of the weight loss will be mindful eating and portion control, some people hit it with one fill and others dont hit it until 3-4...everyone who has a band is different. we must relearn new habits for our new lifestyle and boy it is not easy at times.

oodles, Cara

I completely disagree with this statement.

Jillian Michaels and many other trainers feel that a high quality protein shake is at times more nutritionally sound and filling than other items.

I personally make myself an EAS Myoplex Lite powder shake with an extra scoop of Whey Powder everyday (I add a banana or some kind of fruit and 1/2 cup of FF yogurt) w/ benefiber

Not only is it incredibly satisfying and will keep me full for hours, but it provides 50G of protein, calcium, fiber.

I portion it out and place what I dont drink in the freezer, so when I am on the go, I have a shake ready to defrost.

Since I take this much protein, I have never had a problem with hair loss or anything else.

Just a reminder also, until you hit that 'sweet spot', much of the weight loss will be mindful eating and portion control, some people hit it with one fill and others dont hit it until 3-4...everyone who has a band is different. we must relearn new habits for our new lifestyle and boy it is not easy at times.

oodles, Cara

Thanks for everyones suggestions. It just seems really strange that you eat so little and you gain weight. I was really concerned that maybe I was not getting enough calories? As far as the protien shakes, I really like the protien shakes for breakfast and I finally found one that I love!!! I have never been a breakfast "food" eater. Do you think it would be ok to drink the shake in place of food for breakfast? I think I will also add red meat to my diet plan, thanks Jude!. Also the scales are going to be really hard to stay away from but I am going to try hard, maybe once a week.

Thanks for everyones suggestions. It just seems really strange that you eat so little and you gain weight. I was really concerned that maybe I was not getting enough calories? As far as the protien shakes, I really like the protien shakes for breakfast and I finally found one that I love!!! I have never been a breakfast "food" eater. Do you think it would be ok to drink the shake in place of food for breakfast? I think I will also add red meat to my diet plan, thanks Jude!. Also the scales are going to be really hard to stay away from but I am going to try hard, maybe once a week.

A lot of bandsters HAVE to have a protein shake for breakfast and even lunch sometimes because they are much tighter in the morning and can't get any food down. And for me, the skakes keep me fuller for much longer.

Scales are not bad, they are not evil. Scales don't make you pigout, you make you pigout. To be successful with your band you must be honest about what you really are eating, truthful about wheter or not you actually exercise. Without exercise, there will be no weight loss, sorry peeps, it's a fact of life.

As for getting on the scale-once a week on the same day of the week, at the same time of day, preferably first thing in the morning after you have just gotten up and used the toilet. Butt naked for the most accurate weight.

Read the weight then move on to the next week.

If you gained...be honest...and move on

If you lost weight...celebrate...and move on

Scales are not bad, they are not evil. Scales don't make you pigout, you make you pigout. To be successful with your band you must be honest about what you really are eating, truthful about wheter or not you actually exercise. Without exercise, there will be no weight loss, sorry peeps, it's a fact of life.

As for getting on the scale-once a week on the same day of the week, at the same time of day, preferably first thing in the morning after you have just gotten up and used the toilet. Butt naked for the most accurate weight.

Nice post Jan...in other words, don't be too obsessive with the darn scale but it helps you to keep on tract. At first, but being banded was so new to me, I was weight morning and night for the first couple of days! Yeah! Then I just weighed every morning, then every 3 days, and then once a week. I will go up and down, down and slightly up, then down, etc. I got so tired of doing this and now I choose to do it once a month on my banded date and make note of it and go forward from there. But I am still new and only a little over 2 months out from surgery, so my body is just starting to get back to normal from the surgery itself. I am waiting for my "3 months" post op, where I can do hard core exercises and then, I may weigh my selfself weekly to see how I am doing. This is my next small goal to reach...I've only 28 days to go, but then whose counting? ;)

I totally agree!! Nothing wrong with the scales, maybe the people standing on them. LOL :) Seriously, everyone just needs to do what they are comfortable with. For me, it is everyday. I no longer make excuses for myself and weighing is part of my day, just like drinking water and taking my vitamins is.