Started pre-op diet

I started my pre -op diet today and I don't feel so great. I had an Atkins drink this morning and it was yucky to me. I'm gonna try some home made drinks. I think I"ll like it better. I hopw I do OK on this and lose what I need to before my surgery.

I had a hard time with the protein drink too... big texture issue! Just keep focused! You can do it!

Kristy

I start mine on Monday and Im not looking forward to the limitation of the diet. But I know it is for good cause. Im going to do opition 2, I think the hardest part for me is eating the green veggies! Im not a big veggie eater and when Im hungery the last thing I want is green veggies, oh how I wish I could add fruit! I think I might do that once a day, eat an apple or orange! Do you think that might be ok?

Any suggestions on how to prepare those borning green veggies? Do you have a favorite green veggie I forgot about? I seem to be stuck on peas, broccoli, cabbage, and brussel sprouts!

Thanks Guys and Gals,

Jenelle

I start mine on Monday and Im not looking forward to the limitation of the diet. But I know it is for good cause. Im going to do opition 2, I think the hardest part for me is eating the green veggies! Im not a big veggie eater and when Im hungery the last thing I want is green veggies, oh how I wish I could add fruit! I think I might do that once a day, eat an apple or orange! Do you think that might be ok?

Any suggestions on how to prepare those borning green veggies? Do you have a favorite green veggie I forgot about? I seem to be stuck on peas, broccoli, cabbage, and brussel sprouts!

Thanks Guys and Gals,

Jenelle

I love green beans and asparagus, but usually with lots of butter, guess I need to cut that part off. ;) I tried a strawberry protien shake this morning, I had one sip and couldnt do it, although I think I porportioned it wrong so I need to get a measuring cup. I have a vanilla meal replacement shake I am trying for lunch tomorrow, hopefully that tastes better, I am testing the waters before I go full board on the pre-op diet.

Thanks Guys and Gals,

Jenelle

I would go to the local grocery store that had a salad bar and put a salad together with all different kids of greans. Lettuce, spinach, broccoli, peas, cucumbers and would top it with mushrooms and tomatoes (both okay during pre-op) and then I sprinkled a tablespoon of bacon bits on top. I would have no dressing or would use a salad spritzer. It was yummy... and, filling.

Kristy

I started my pre-op diet today as well....all I can have is slim fast drinks and bars and one meal of meats and veggies a day. I dont care for the chocolate, but the vanilla was ok. :huh: I'm not a big fan of veggies to begin with so that part of this diet will be pretty hard for me the first few days. I will do great once i am used to this new diet....

[b]WendyWo--242

june--started 6 mo. dietician

november 21st--submit to ins.

december 3--approved

december 11--consult w/surgeon

december 19--get the band[/b]

Thanks Guys and Gals,

Jenelle

I'm a big saltaholic but I like cucumbers with salt and lemon. also stir fry zucchini with lemon and salt. I also like green beans. Can we have pickles? Are they veggies?

Whew...let's see if I can help all of you in one post...

I, myself, went on the diet 2 option, which is a protein shake for breakfast and lunch and then a green salad, with hard boiled egg, deli meat, tomatoe, mushroom, and tomatoes and one of the Wishbone's spray salad dressing...every day for 2 weeks. Trust me when I say this...this is HEAVEN to compare when you get to your clear liquid and creamy soups stages. So, really enjoy the preop days and start learning what is important for your weight loss, including getting those wonderful nutrients in your body the veggies provides for you.

Protein shakes ~ sucha a huge subject and it's to everyone's liking...either you like it or hate it, but like Denise says, in a crunch for something quick, Slim Fast Optima is ok. but not too much because of the sugar calories, which you are trying to keep down to a minimum. If all possible, try as many as you can to get the right powder for you, as you WILL need them after your surgery at some point, especially after you getting your fills and you can't quite eat, the shakes will give you the proteins you need for the day.

Salt ~ and, for anyone to be a saltaholic...I am the expert here! I use to use salt on EVERYTHING, without tasting it my food first. It was an automatic thing for me to do! Trust me when I say that you probably won't miss the salt at all. You are so focus on wanting to lose weight and do well with the preop diet, you won't use it. Yesterday was the first day I had salt and it's been over 3 months since I've last used it! YAY me! START using spices and herbs instead. I love the flavored garlic. Also, use condiments such as vinegar, honey, lemon, etc in MODERATION, as they do have calories when used excessively.

Veggies ~ Pickes are cucumbers and it's a veggie! BUT, a 1/4 cup worth only. Veggies...incorporate these wonderful foods that are FULL of vitamins and minerals your body craves for! I PROMISE you, your body, hair, skin, eyes, will be more healthier and will LOVE you! Butter? Sure, again, use in moderation. I also love to have those flavored vinegars with peppers in the jars...oh yeah! Another way to flavor the veggies is cheese ~ 1 oz should do the trick. Kristy said it good with going to the store and build yourself a salad...excellent idea and if you have a Soup Plantation restaurant - there you go! I go there about twice a month as a treat, between their salads and their wonderful soups! AND, pay the child's price! YES!!!

Fruits ~ . I wouldn't do the fruits until you start your solid food, day 22, due to the sugary calories and that is the last thing you want, as you are trying to lose as much as you can before your surgery. Also, certain fruits have too much acid and may counteract what you are eating in prepping for your surgery.

Hope this helps...

I was going to start my pre-op diet today, too, but I keep putting it off. I still have 4 weeks until my surgery, so I am still ok. I wanted to start early, because I already know I am allowing myself a cheat day for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. However, I am having a hard time getting started. I pretty much have to rely on pre made drinks, because of work, but the only ones I like are slim fast. I bought some protein powder at Henry's Market, so I am hoping to be able to make my own drink while home this weekend.

I am dreading this pre-op diet more so then the 21 post-op liquid diet. I can do liquids, I did it for several weeks after having my tonsils out, it's just this damn protein drinks *sigh*

I was going to start my pre-op diet today, too, but I keep putting it off. I still have 4 weeks until my surgery, so I am still ok. I wanted to start early, because I already know I am allowing myself a cheat day for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. However, I am having a hard time getting started. I pretty much have to rely on pre made drinks, because of work, but the only ones I like are slim fast. I bought some protein powder at Henry's Market, so I am hoping to be able to make my own drink while home this weekend.

I am dreading this pre-op diet more so then the 21 post-op liquid diet. I can do liquids, I did it for several weeks after having my tonsils out, it's just this damn protein drinks *sigh*

Hi, I started my pre-op on November 29th. My surgery isn't until Dec. 15th. Dr. Miranda suggested that I do #2. She told me to do 2 shakes and a Lean Cuisine at night. I wasn't crazy about it but after the 3rd or 4th day, the shakes got easier and easier to drink. I drink the Atkins, and have actually started to enjoy them. I just think you have to tough it thru. I find it easier to just do what I am told. Anyway, by doing it the way I was told I have been very successful. Like Jazzy has said it is a mindset, we have to relearn and take it from the experts on how to do it. I wish you luck, the hard part for me is I feel like I don't know enough. I like things in black and white, written down so that I can keep going back to refresh my memory. That is one of the reasons I like this forum. There is a lot of input and advice here. I just have to keep reading and rereading everyone's comments. Anne

Whew...let's see if I can help all of you in one post...

I, myself, went on the diet 2 option, which is a protein shake for breakfast and lunch and then a green salad, with hard boiled egg, deli meat, tomatoe, mushroom, and tomatoes and one of the Wishbone's spray salad dressing...every day for 2 weeks. Trust me when I say this...this is HEAVEN to compare when you get to your clear liquid and creamy soups stages. So, really enjoy the preop days and start learning what is important for your weight loss, including getting those wonderful nutrients in your body the veggies provides for you.

Protein shakes ~ sucha a huge subject and it's to everyone's liking...either you like it or hate it, but like Denise says, in a crunch for something quick, Slim Fast Optima is ok. but not too much because of the sugar calories, which you are trying to keep down to a minimum. If all possible, try as many as you can to get the right powder for you, as you WILL need them after your surgery at some point, especially after you getting your fills and you can't quite eat, the shakes will give you the proteins you need for the day.

Salt ~ and, for anyone to be a saltaholic...I am the expert here! I use to use salt on EVERYTHING, without tasting it my food first. It was an automatic thing for me to do! Trust me when I say that you probably won't miss the salt at all. You are so focus on wanting to lose weight and do well with the preop diet, you won't use it. Yesterday was the first day I had salt and it's been over 3 months since I've last used it! YAY me! START using spices and herbs instead. I love the flavored garlic. Also, use condiments such as vinegar, honey, lemon, etc in MODERATION, as they do have calories when used excessively.

Veggies ~ Pickes are cucumbers and it's a veggie! BUT, a 1/4 cup worth only. Veggies...incorporate these wonderful foods that are FULL of vitamins and minerals your body craves for! I PROMISE you, your body, hair, skin, eyes, will be more healthier and will LOVE you! Butter? Sure, again, use in moderation. I also love to have those flavored vinegars with peppers in the jars...oh yeah! Another way to flavor the veggies is cheese ~ 1 oz should do the trick. Kristy said it good with going to the store and build yourself a salad...excellent idea and if you have a Soup Plantation restaurant - there you go! I go there about twice a month as a treat, between their salads and their wonderful soups! AND, pay the child's price! YES!!!

Fruits ~ . I wouldn't do the fruits until you start your solid food, day 22, due to the sugary calories and that is the last thing you want, as you are trying to lose as much as you can before your surgery. Also, certain fruits have too much acid and may counteract what you are eating in prepping for your surgery.

Hope this helps...

Okay Judy, What kind of work do you do? You need to be an inspirational speaker or something of the sorts. OR you need to work at the OCC! You are so knowledgable and friendly. Thanks for everything

SheRee

I was on pre-op diet option #2 and it was hell, with the hunger and getting used to the protein shakes. What helped me was cooked spinach. I bought a big plastic tub of pre-cut, pre-washed baby spinach, and every day I'd take a bunch and put it into a nonstick pan (no oil necessary because once the spinach wilts and moisture comes out, the pan gets wet). I then added a 1/4 tsp of crushed garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Occasionally I'd add Mrs. Dash to flavour it even more. I cooked it just long enough for it to get soft and dark, and then ate it warm.

It was yummy and really helped satisfy the cravings. Plus it was a good source of iron.

I was on pre-op diet option #2 and it was hell, with the hunger and getting used to the protein shakes. What helped me was cooked spinach. I bought a big plastic tub of pre-cut, pre-washed baby spinach, and every day I'd take a bunch and put it into a nonstick pan (no oil necessary because once the spinach wilts and moisture comes out, the pan gets wet). I then added a 1/4 tsp of crushed garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Occasionally I'd add Mrs. Dash to flavour it even more. I cooked it just long enough for it to get soft and dark, and then ate it warm.

It was yummy and really helped satisfy the cravings. Plus it was a good source of iron.

MY kind of gal! I LOVE spinach and as soon as I started to read this, I thought "good source of iron!", then you wrote it!

EXCELLENT post Jan!!! PLEASE post this delish recipe of yours under the Recipe section for others, and me!, to see this by itself.

((HUGS!))...WTG!

I did the 3 week atkins option so I wouldn't feel hungry......eat all I want as long I don't get more than 20 carbs per day. I've always been pretty successful with Atkins so it was a good option for me but everyone is different.

CindyLou ~ you are a sweetheart. You are an avid Atkins eater and I so appreciate you in posting your positive thoughts on them. I, too, use to do Atkins and believe it or not, I've lost 24 lbs in 2 months on it while my hubby lost 28. AND, believe it or not, our dr told us to stop because we were losing too fast and having way too much proteins, which can cause gout and other ailments too soon if we didn't watch out. So, we stopped, and haven't been back on it since.

So, really, it is VERY important when doing a high protein regiment, to balance your meals with all nutrients. What I plan on doing is to go back on their website and pick out some recipes to have from time to time. They have WONDERFUL ones!!

Welcome Wendy! Make sure you browse through the forum for other posts as well. Come here for any questions or concerns, we all support one another!

When and where are you having your surgery?

Thanks!! I am having my surgery at Baylor, Plano TX and it will be on 12/19/08

Okay Judy, What kind of work do you do? You need to be an inspirational speaker or something of the sorts. OR you need to work at the OCC! You are so knowledgable and friendly. Thanks for everything

SheRee

Thanks SheRee for the complements and I try to guide and help out. Just know that I am NOT the 'doctor of the house' and give only my opinions and such. I've always been this way really. Yes, I've been a speaker for many different conferences and meetings. I am a trainer 'of sorts' and always the leader. I love to find out what makes things tick and do a lot of research and really understand the fundamentals of how things work.

My Mum always KNEW I was going to be someone of importance to others when 'I grow up'. Especially when my favorite toy, when I was about 1-1/2 yrs old, was a screwdriver! Yep, locking my Mum out in the snow, in her nightgown wasn't the best idea. She was NOT a happy camper, after calling Grampa to help her get in the house. I never knew hair could look so red as she was then! Yes, I got my cute butt spanked but from then on, she knew how stubborn, persistent and consistent I was going to be from then on! So, I am somewhat of a "Jackie of all trades". I just about tried and done everything. Oh some stories to tell of me...!

No seriously, when you believe in something, you would do anything to learn about it and turn it into a positive success for yourself, if you want it bad enough. I believe I can turn any negative into a positive issue, no matter what. I have always been like this. Being assertive is one of my other good qualities too. Put forth what needs to be done now, not later.

OK...enough of my 'speech'...again, thanks for the compliments, and enjoy your day!

Thanks!! I am having my surgery at Baylor, Plano TX and it will be on 12/19/08

GREAT ~ that's next week Friday ~ whoo hoo! Congrats on your decision Wendy...I am sure you are really excited! Please keep us posted on how you are doing! Good luck! And keep coming on to this forum if you have an questions or concerns. We support all of us here!