Looking into Lap Banding in Mexico

I am considering Lap Banding in Mexico but I don't know anyone that has went there. I am looking into Medical Tourism and one of the doctors they have recomended is Dr. Rodolfo Natera @ the Hospital Star Medica, Ciudad Juarez, Mexico. Has anyone been there and what was the experience like?

• 2 weeks later...

The OCC, Dr Ortiz did mine. He is very good. I would check him out, there are many people here who can recommend him and give you details about the whole thing. Be careful when you work with agencies like that.

I had my lap band put on in Mexico --- I did not qualify for insurance assistance in the US --- so Mexico seemed like the only affordable option. I LOVED my doctor, his staff and the entire process of Monterrey, MX --- I used a company called ready 4 a change --- www.ready4achange.com --- Dr. Miguel Zapata has been INAMED Certified since 1999 and has performed thousands of weight reduction surgeries during the last decade. Did you know they have been performing lap-band procedures in MX for like 10 years more than in the US?

For me it was a no brain-er and it was 7K --- totally affordable -- as they wanted 32K for the local dr. in MLPS, MN -- where I am from. I brought a friend, we went two days early and stayed a day later, totally worth every penny! That was in April of 2008 - and I am down 40lbs. It was a hard adjustment, but once I got used to eating slower, NOT drinking and eating, no carbonated beverages and chewing REALLY well, it has been great!

Good luck and definitely check out this company - I could not have been happier with my experience!

my last post on here was that I was about to go for surgery on dec 22 - well I have had it now...everything went great :) It was actually Dr.Martinez who works with Dr.Ortiz at the OCC. The clinic was extremely clean - they were very nice, helpful and respectful. I dont know any spanish - but that didnt matter, they all spoke English. I have now decided to even go back for my fills because I liked it there so much!

189.9 at deciding weight

184.9 at pre-op

177 at surgery

I am 170 as of today