Why no drinking when eating

The band is designed to make your stomach tell your brain that you are full after a very small amount of food. When you drink while you eat, you are simply washing your food out of your pouch and into your big stomach which totally defeats the purpose of having the band. I hope that helps you.

Two reasons that I know of - it can either push the food through your band (or defeat the purpose of it) - or it can sit on top of your band (if you ate some food and it hasn’t dropped) and stretch out your pouch. Neither are good, so we don’t do it.

To get out of the habit I make sure that I remove all water from arms reach.....

wow - good question.

I drink ALL the time and always with food. I almost always have a drink with me. I drink diet coke and a ton of water throughout the day.

Its ok to drink water when your not eating right? I start feeling sick when I get dehydrated. Physically ill.... and I mean I need about 150-200oz of water a day to feel "good".

Thanks

You want to drink, all day, just not when eating and diet coke is a "no" the first 6 months.

I always have a bottle of water with me and just drink it throughout the day to make sure I don’t’ get dehydrated and to stay healthy. One note – I can not think of one time I’ve gotten sick since getting my band, and I think a lot has to do with the fact that I eat healthier and drink lots of water.

I have found that I can't drink anymore while eating, so, although it was always one of my habits pre-band, I'm no longer physically able to do it. If I try to take a sip while eating I feel instant pain at my band.

:o

I was just wondering why you can't have a drink when you have a meal. I feel like I take a sip after every bite right now. I don't get banded until the 29th. Thanks for all the info on this site.

Hello,

After my second fill, I physically can't drink when eating or anytime afterward for about 45 minutes to an hour. If I drink while eating, or immediately afterward, then I PB all my food back up...my pouch is already full and when it "overflows" with food or drink, it's gotta come back up.

Hey Kristi,

I just had a moment to take a break from work and saw your question. We are super busy here!!

I believe you can stretch your pouch out even after 6 months, since I know someone who did at almost two years – not over diet pop, but still it’s the same concept. You put something in there that doesn’t go down easily and you do it enough times and with too much, you may stretch your pouch.

So many doctors have different opinions on this and I’m not sure what caused the change in the rules. When I was banded I was told I could never drink carbonated drinks again. However the rules changed as they learned more about bands and I believe, (and this is just from my own experience) that the ability to drink carbonated drinks vary person to person and for me fill to fill. You may find the carbonation very uncomfortable if you have a good fill or you may be able to let it sit for 5 minutes – take small sips and have a little bit of extra enjoyment - but listen to your band, if it feels wrong, stop. (Again, only after 6 months)

For me the issue is moderation. I've had a few glasses of Champaign in the last year (not at once) and I tolerate it well, I think it's a matter of band tolerance, moderation and slow sipping. I'll never be able to drink diet pop like I use to. It doesn't taste the same now, it’s uncomfortable to drink and I know how bad it is for me so I avoid it like the plague.

I want to live my life...and not live it in fear; however I also use moderation as my guideline. (But hey, every once in a while there’s always a too good to miss toast that you have to join, and then Champaign all the way baby)! And you can decide on your preferred carb drink, after 6 months of course - sip it slowly, in moderation and listen to the band, if it doesn’t fill right, stop! And that’s not just with carbonated drinks just as an example – I love iced coffees/latte’s and sometimes my band is so fickle that the coldness will tighten it up so much that I can’t drink it – it closes my band and I have to stop – it will loosen up and drain down after a while – but the trick is to stop drinking it so I’m not putting a lot on top of my band and stretching my pouch.

Best,

Lisa

Another thing to keep in mind is pop is empty calories. When you only get so many calories a day I know i'd rather have food than drink. Also, I know one time when I was doing WW I went about 6 mos with no pop and when I had one it tasted terrible!

Everyone's body is different, but I know for me I remember all the headaches I had when I first went off pop and I really don't want to go back to that. Also the whole empty calories thing. Now don't get me wrong, i'll be having a glass of wine now and again, but even with drinking alcohol it just doesn't seem worth it to me.

Hey Kristi,

I just had a moment to take a break from work and saw your question. We are super busy here!!

I believe you can stretch your pouch out even after 6 months, since I know someone who did at almost two years – not over diet pop, but still it’s the same concept. You put something in there that doesn’t go down easily and you do it enough times and with too much, you may stretch your pouch.

So many doctors have different opinions on this and I’m not sure what caused the change in the rules. When I was banded I was told I could never drink carbonated drinks again. However the rules changed as they learned more about bands and I believe, (and this is just from my own experience) that the ability to drink carbonated drinks vary person to person and for me fill to fill. You may find the carbonation very uncomfortable if you have a good fill or you may be able to let it sit for 5 minutes – take small sips and have a little bit of extra enjoyment - but listen to your band, if it feels wrong, stop. (Again, only after 6 months)

For me the issue is moderation. I've had a few glasses of Champaign in the last year (not at once) and I tolerate it well, I think it's a matter of band tolerance, moderation and slow sipping. I'll never be able to drink diet pop like I use to. It doesn't taste the same now, it’s uncomfortable to drink and I know how bad it is for me so I avoid it like the plague.

I want to live my life...and not live it in fear; however I also use moderation as my guideline. (But hey, every once in a while there’s always a too good to miss toast that you have to join, and then Champaign all the way baby)! And you can decide on your preferred carb drink, after 6 months of course - sip it slowly, in moderation and listen to the band, if it doesn’t fill right, stop! And that’s not just with carbonated drinks just as an example – I love iced coffees/latte’s and sometimes my band is so fickle that the coldness will tighten it up so much that I can’t drink it – it closes my band and I have to stop – it will loosen up and drain down after a while – but the trick is to stop drinking it so I’m not putting a lot on top of my band and stretching my pouch.

Best,

Lisa

Thanks for the information Lisa! It makes complete sense! I haven't missed diet Pepsi like I thought I would.

Kristy