Not feeling that great

I am two weeks out (banded on December 5th) and I'm still pretty uncomfortable. Very "gassy" with shoulder pain way worse at night. I am totaly on liquids and losing a good amount of weight because if I drink too much fluid it makes my stomach really uncomfortable. I'm really active and have restarted excersizing as well as full time work. I've called the OCC clinic and they're really reassuring, but I'm freeking out a bit becuase it seems like everyone else feels great! On the good side, I have dropped 13 pounds since pre-op (1st time in years I've been able to drop weight this quickly).

Anyone out there who is or has experienced similar, I'd love to hear from you. :unsure:

I am two weeks out (banded on December 5th) and I'm still pretty uncomfortable. Very "gassy" with shoulder pain way worse at night. I am totaly on liquids and losing a good amount of weight because if I drink too much fluid it makes my stomach really uncomfortable. I'm really active and have restarted excersizing as well as full time work. I've called the OCC clinic and they're really reassuring, but I'm freeking out a bit becuase it seems like everyone else feels great! On the good side, I have dropped 13 pounds since pre-op (1st time in years I've been able to drop weight this quickly).

Anyone out there who is or has experienced similar, I'd love to hear from you. :unsure:

I didn't feel that great until I started eating solid foods again, during the three week liquids, I was sore, fatigued, and lethargic...the OCC also told me to not start excersizing until 3-4 weeks after surgery. If you don't feel well, you might be trying to do too much while your body is still healing...but congrats on the weight loss so far! That's a lot.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you shouldn't be exercizing yet. Walking is fine, but Dr. Miranda said I should avoid breaking a sweat for 3-4 weeks. I know somebody locally that had her port flip and the doctor (not Ortiz, another doctor in Peurto Vallarta) told her she started exercizing too soon and that's why it flipped. Of course, every doctor has different rules. I'd ask the OCC to be specific with you about what exercizes you should and shouldn't do. Hope you feel better soon!

Sabrina:)

Hi,

I am 9 days out. I too am feeling really lousy. Very nauseaus, headache and sore. I have a very hard time with taking medicine or vitamins without food..... thats a bit of a problem since I'm only on day 9. :blink: I've had a couple of drinkable yogurts but really can only tolerate water, gatorade and tea. Has anyone tried the anti nausea medicine they have at the drug stores? Would love some advise.

Leahs Mom.

Do you have a fever? I just want to make sure we're not dealing with something different here. You could have the flu thats going around - but you also might want to check in with the doctors at the OCC just in case and if it persists.

I do use the store anti nausea medication - I use the chewable tablets called Nauzene, and I also have one that is liquid that my doctor prescribed.

Take care, I hope you feel better soon!

Lisa

I had surgery on December 11 at OCC. I am extremely sensitive to pain and medication, however, I have been taking Ibuprofen 800 mg. 1/2 a tablet crushed mixed with Tylenol Cherry extra strength pain reliever every 4 -6hrs or so. I have had shoulder pain and this has helped along with the gas x strips taken daily.

I am also on liquids and when I feel nausas I take a Dramimine tablet. I have rested and pampered. Hopefully this will help as you are not alone with these feelings. They will subside.

I also make certain everything I drink is diluted with hot water. The Gatorade and Juice etc. I do not drink anything cold.

I am pleased you spoke with OCC as they are there for us and exceptional.

Labella

Don't worry you are not alone. I am jealous when people say they had little to no pain and how easy it was. Now mind you I wasn't miserable, but was very sore and in a good amount of pain for the first 2-3 weeks. Probably after 3 weeks I was feeling about 90-95 percent. When I work out I get a bit of soreness, but that is about it and my gas pain has gone. So I promise the end is near! Now gas is still there and always will be, but the pain is gone.

I agree about working out - I didn't start back up until recently so i'd be careful doing anything but walking. And even though I waited a while my port still got sore the first couple times I worked out.

I say take it easy and listen to your body! Also, ditto to what Dana said about protein - it makes such a HUGE difference!

Hi flgirl,

I was also banded Dec 5 and HONEY I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!! I still feel really bloated (specially at night), sometimes gas-x helps, also I try to get busy with something else and not put to much attention about it (when I get distracted, i don't think to much about it). I also been having a lot if headaches, i assume it's beacause I am not eating like I used to!!. Hang in there and know is tough but is worth it, I think we will feel better once we start eating solids (only five and a half days away!!! >:D :D ). Take care FLgirl, remember to have your gas-x always with you drink your proteins and walk, walk, and walk.

Carla

Thanks Guys,

That makes me feel so much better. I skipped the workout today and stuck to hot liquids. The ibuprofen really works well (I mean like scary well). I'm hangin' in there, but it can be a litle scary. I mean it's really easy to get freaked out and think you've got a slipped band or something really wrong. Good to know I'm not alone and there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Thanks!

><'

Don't worry you are not alone. I am jealous when people say they had little to no pain and how easy it was. Now mind you I wasn't miserable, but was very sore and in a good amount of pain for the first 2-3 weeks. Probably after 3 weeks I was feeling about 90-95 percent. When I work out I get a bit of soreness, but that is about it and my gas pain has gone. So I promise the end is near! Now gas is still there and always will be, but the pain is gone.

I agree about working out - I didn't start back up until recently so i'd be careful doing anything but walking. And even though I waited a while my port still got sore the first couple times I worked out.

I say take it easy and listen to your body! Also, ditto to what Dana said about protein - it makes such a HUGE difference!

I too was feeling sorry for myself when I would read about other people who were in little to no discomfort after surgery, and who also lost a whole lot more weight than I did in a shorter amount of time. Even at the clinic, the others were up and walking hours before I could. Every person is different and progresses at different rates, but the common thread is that no matter where you are at, it does get better! I'm three and a half weeks post-surgery, and I'm finally at the place where I can lie on my left side again (but not too long). Not able to sleep on my stomach yet, so sleep is probably the biggest challenge right now. I'd say I'm about 85-90%. But I agree with this advice, to take it easy and listen to your body.

Guest erinmohr

I was expecting to bounce right back from surgury as well, but didn't and man did i feel sorry for myself! I was had soreness (slightly) up to the 6 week mark. I never thought i would get better or be able to sleep on my stomach or left side. But now almost 2 months (wow has it only been 2 months?) I am feeling fine and have no pain finally!

I think people (including myself) need to realize that everyone's body will react to surgury differently and there is nothing wrong with that!

I was expecting to bounce right back from surgury as well, but didn't and man did i feel sorry for myself! I was had soreness (slightly) up to the 6 week mark. I never thought i would get better or be able to sleep on my stomach or left side. But now almost 2 months (wow has it only been 2 months?) I am feeling fine and have no pain finally!

I think people (including myself) need to realize that everyone's body will react to surgury differently and there is nothing wrong with that!

Hearing everyone's stories has literally made me feel better. I'm much less stressed and giving myself a break and allowing myself to not feel perfect 2 weeks out! If I take motrin (liquid of course) before bedtime I can sleep through the night without any pain and the sleep makes me feel much better during the day. Still having a tough time tolerating enough liquids to get to 1200 cal per day plus 64 oz water, but that's getting a little better too.Thanks again guys! :rolleyes: