People who give food as Xmas gifts are cruel!

Ok, I have to confess, I have NOT been good these past couple of days (days 3 and 4 on the solid foods stage). Since getting that cold, I've reverted back to a partial liquid diet, but the problem with this is that I'm not following the order to not drink liquids with solids. I'm drinking so much liquid and water regularly throughout the day to flush out all of the sickness from my system that it's very difficult to follow this rule.

I think out of all the rules about the lap-band, the no-drinking-while eating is going to be the absolute hardest to follow. I can't stand the taste of food in my mouth after I've eaten. I just have to wash it down with something. I have no restriction (or rather, I can feel something, but it's insufficient to stop me from eating/drinking) and I'm eating bad stuff and too much of it. The problem is that since I figured out that I can eat and drink at the same time without problems, I'm just doing it. It all started with a food gift basket given to me as an Xmas gift, with crackers, cookies, chocolates, etc. and I'm amazed at how quickly the old habits returned after being good for seven and a half weeks. Yes I tried to justify it - I'm sick, it's Xmas, I've been good for seven and a half weeks, etc., but the bottom line is I didn't follow the rules, I allowed myself to succumb to temptation, and I feel terrible as a result. I'm scared of gaining weight now. You don't want to know how much I ate these past couple of days. It's like I needed the food to be gone just so that I wouldn't eat it, and this is exactly what I used to do pre-band.

I'm definitely looking forward to that first fill now. I guess I don't have as much self-control as I thought I did.

:(

Ok, I have to confess, I have NOT been good these past couple of days (days 3 and 4 on the solid foods stage). Since getting that cold, I've reverted back to a partial liquid diet, but the problem with this is that I'm not following the order to not drink liquids with solids. I'm drinking so much liquid and water regularly throughout the day to flush out all of the sickness from my system that it's very difficult to follow this rule.

I think out of all the rules about the lap-band, the no-drinking-while eating is going to be the absolute hardest to follow. I can't stand the taste of food in my mouth after I've eaten. I just have to wash it down with something. I have no restriction (or rather, I can feel something, but it's insufficient to stop me from eating/drinking) and I'm eating bad stuff and too much of it. The problem is that since I figured out that I can eat and drink at the same time without problems, I'm just doing it. It all started with a food gift basket given to me as an Xmas gift, with crackers, cookies, chocolates, etc. and I'm amazed at how quickly the old habits returned after being good for seven and a half weeks. Yes I tried to justify it - I'm sick, it's Xmas, I've been good for seven and a half weeks, etc., but the bottom line is I didn't follow the rules, I allowed myself to succumb to temptation, and I feel terrible as a result. I'm scared of gaining weight now. You don't want to know how much I ate these past couple of days. It's like I needed the food to be gone just so that I wouldn't eat it, and this is exactly what I used to do pre-band.

I'm definitely looking forward to that first fill now. I guess I don't have as much self-control as I thought I did.

I hope you feel better!

With the drinking and eating thing.....I've tried to anticipate my meal times and drink LOTS about an 30 mins to an hour before and it has helped. Then at the end of the meal I take a few small sips just to make me feel better for not drinking.

Step one - try and get the bad food out of your house. I would just say "thank you so much, I'm certainly going to enjoy this" and then bring it down to the local food bank.

You have got to stop drinking while eating. You are jeopardizing your health, the band and the success of the program. (Especially with a new band - you've got to be extra careful)

I understand being sick and needing to go back on liquids, but add in eating and you’re putting yourself in a situation where you can stretch your pouch or slip your band. Just because you don’t’ feel the restriction – doesn’t mean its not there. Also its important to note, the first fill will do nothing for you if you do the same thing you are doing now.

We all have those moments – we have got to fight them with every ounce of will power we have. I know you’re confessing and most likely have given yourself a big mental beating as well. However the old bandsters have seen people do harm to themselves and it’s never a good thing. The least harmful thing you can do is fail, and I know many who have.

We know the rules, we made a commitment and we need to follow them. It isn't always popular to lay the rules down, all I would say is wait till someone has to go see Dr. Ortiz if they did something silly and jeopardize their band - that’s never pretty.

Take care, be strong and you’ll make it through this.

Best,

Lisa

Add in - make sure you go to the doctor’s corner and read Dr. Ortiz's statements for success and watch his videos. They always get me back on track when I fall off the band wagon.

http://www.lapbandforum.com/index.php?showtopic=6556

You are probably not giving your band a chance to work because when you drink with food you wash the food down very quickly into the lower stomach, never giving your pouch that full feeling. The other thing is, Lisal is right, Dr. So told me when I went for my first fill -- the Number one way to stretch your pouch is by drinking with meals. Your body is trying to heal and you are fighting it. Look at the clock as soon as you take your last bite of food, don't have any liquids near you and wait one hour before having something to drink. If you do this every time then it becomes your new habit. As far as being sick you do need to drink more liquids but not for one hour after eating. You can do this. Make the decision right now that you can do this. Tell yourself You "Can't" and you won't, Tell yourself you "CAN", and you will. And one last thing CONGRATS on the 23#s down. Wow, won't 30#s feel fantastic!

Take care,

dawns

I went through the exact same thing and really, it's only until you get good restriction (probably your second fill) that you can't physically drink while you eat, otherwise you WILL PB everything back up that you've just spent half an hour trying to get down.

I know it is tough, but stick to the basics and follow the rules. The hardest thing for me was the eating and drinking at the same time and although it's been tough, it isn't as bad as I thought. I used to drink probably 5 drinks while I ate so I completely understand but you CAN DO IT! If you are really hurting, folks have said it's OK to suck on a piece of ice. I've done that a couple times when I ate something too hot, but i'm trying to not get in the habit of that.

Absolutely true what others have said - even though you can't feel the restriction doesn't mean it's not there. I know this part is tough - I am between my first and second fill and I can eat anything I want, but am not letting myself. And let me tell ya it is HARD!! It took everything I had not to pull into McDonalds today, but damn it felt so good when I didn't! :)

This band is a tool, but there is a lot of work we must do on our end as well. Best of luck!!!

Step one - try and get the bad food out of your house. I would just say "thank you so much, I'm certainly going to enjoy this" and then bring it down to the local food bank.

You have got to stop drinking while eating. You are jeopardizing your health, the band and the success of the program. (Especially with a new band - you've got to be extra careful)

I understand being sick and needing to go back on liquids, but add in eating and you’re putting yourself in a situation where you can stretch your pouch or slip your band. Just because you don’t’ feel the restriction – doesn’t mean its not there. Also its important to note, the first fill will do nothing for you if you do the same thing you are doing now.

We all have those moments – we have got to fight them with every ounce of will power we have. I know you’re confessing and most likely have given yourself a big mental beating as well. However the old bandsters have seen people do harm to themselves and it’s never a good thing. The least harmful thing you can do is fail, and I know many who have.

We know the rules, we made a commitment and we need to follow them. It isn't always popular to lay the rules down, all I would say is wait till someone has to go see Dr. Ortiz if they did something silly and jeopardize their band - that’s never pretty.

Take care, be strong and you’ll make it through this.

Best,

Lisa

Add in - make sure you go to the doctor’s corner and read Dr. Ortiz's statements for success and watch his videos. They always get me back on track when I fall off the band wagon.

http://www.lapbandforum.com/index.php?showtopic=6556

Lisa,

I knew we weren't supposed to drink WHILE eating, but does that mean we can't drink something after we have eaten? i drink alot of liquids and usually always drink while eating but I figured it would be no problem to just eat and not worry about drinking since I could drink afterwards...

just curious and looking for some clarification

thanks!!

No, we can’t drink during meals and for an hour after the meal. (In addition some don’t drink up to 30 minutes before the meal).

The reasons, it may push your food through your band so you won’t feel as full as long. Or it may sit on top of your food and stretch your pouch and cause other problems. (You’ll hear about people PBing due to stacking food and liquids) Not good.

It’s not that hard once you get in the habit of drinking throughout the day to insure you are hydrated – you don’t need drinks with meals or after. I remove all liquids when eating, I do what Shelby says, and if I get something hot I’ll suck on a piece of ice. (I hardly have to do that now)

We all have our moments when we mess up – trust me I’ve had plenty and I don’t know anyone personally who hasn’t – yet.. It’s a learning for all of us. This really is a true lifestyle change, however the benefits out way the negatives.

I’m not sick anymore – my knees don’t hurt – I can walk or run up the stairs - I am unrecognizable to everyone and even family members if you haven’t seen me during my weight loss. Lossing 130 pounds has given me back my freedom and a lifestyle that I never thought I could have.

If you’re thinking about it – I’d say go for it. I was morbidly obese with a BMI of 45, I now have a BMI of 23.4. It’s life changing. I wish I did this years ago, so my only regret is that I waited too long. (I've had several PS to correct issues since I'm older and was so heavy). I don't think I would have needed these if I had this at a younger age when I didn't weigh as much.

No, we can’t drink during meals and for an hour after the meal. (In addition some don’t drink up to 30 minutes before the meal).

The reasons, it may push your food through your band so you won’t feel as full as long. Or it may sit on top of your food and stretch your pouch and cause other problems. (You’ll hear about people PBing due to stacking food and liquids) Not good.

It’s not that hard once you get in the habit of drinking throughout the day to insure you are hydrated – you don’t need drinks with meals or after. I remove all liquids when eating, I do what Shelby says, and if I get something hot I’ll suck on a piece of ice. (I hardly have to do that now)

We all have our moments when we mess up – trust me I’ve had plenty and I don’t know anyone personally who hasn’t – yet.. It’s a learning for all of us. This really is a true lifestyle change, however the benefits out way the negatives.

I’m not sick anymore – my knees don’t hurt – I can walk or run up the stairs - I am unrecognizable to everyone and even family members if you haven’t seen me during my weight loss. Lossing 130 pounds has given me back my freedom and a lifestyle that I never thought I could have.

If you’re thinking about it – I’d say go for it. I was morbidly obese with a BMI of 45, I now have a BMI of 23.4. It’s life changing. I wish I did this years ago, so my only regret is that I waited too long. (I've had several PS to correct issues since I'm older and was so heavy). I don't think I would have needed these if I had this at a younger age when I didn't weigh as much.

Thanks Lisa! I've viewed your pics and you are really inspiring! you did an amazing job. Im super excited about getting it done its little things that are freaking me out... (scars, diet coke, etc) lol I havent thought once about "what if my body rejects the band, etc" - no serious concerns, just the silly ones. I know it will help me get to exactly where I want and help me out where I need it (willpower to stop eating when Im full). thanks for all of your help!!

I've been working really hard today to try and not mix the drink/food, with some success. The food intake is still too high though and the cravings are all over the place :( I don't know what's happened these past three days that I suddenly lost control where I had so much control over the preceding seven weeks. I don't know where this sudden resurgence of hunger has come from. On the post-op liquid diet, I rarely felt hunger, and it's shocking how it's returned to levels I used to have before the surgery.

I'm almost wishing I was back on the all liquid diet, because at least I had some control then.

It’s totally normal, and I promise its most likely harder for you than when I had to deal with it since you’re surrounded by the Holidays, all the past emotions to deal with and normally how do we make ourselves happy during the holidays?? We eat – and guess what you’re not suppose to do since you just received this amazing gift that’s going to change your life?? Eat. (or 1/3 less and not drink at the same time)

You are in bandstar hell, its not fun – its hard and on top of that it’s the Holidays, emotions are high, we are happy, sad, stressed – see commercials taunting us with food – and we would normally be eating merrily away and gaining more weight and getting less healthy and looking like big rolly polly snowmen’s.

You have to stop all of that and put it in your back pocket – here’s the deal, I can make you a promise and I know it can come true since you have to lose the same amount of weight that I did. By next Christmas you’re going to be in a size that is most likely going to be a single digit. (If you keep to your program and throw in a little bit of exercise) You’re going to be able to go to a store and pick out the cutest dress and its going to look amazing. (And you’ll be so much healthier).

Also, you are breaking old habits that took you years to build up – it takes about 3 months to build a new habit, you’re almost halfway there. Just put everything out of reach – out of your mind and go out shopping or exercising, dancing in your bedroom or something – keep your mind off of food. I promise you it will get better.

OK, we’re in the NW, dealing with snow and drifts up to 3 feet deep in my neighborhood. I’ve been up working from home since 5:00 AM this morning keeping things going. Time to dive back in!!

All the best,

Lisa

Lisa - excellent post...thanks for the information. I've listened to you and the others before on this issue and one time you mentioned about ice chips, which I've done and it saved me a couple of times when I had SUPER hot food, both temperature hot and as well, spicy hot. I just took about (5) chips and that was good.

Lisa and Dawns said it all...drinks 'slide' your foods down and your old stomach has the food you just ate with your drink and then your newly upper stomach is empty.

I personally drink about 20 min before I eat. When I first started, after my meal, I used my kitchen timer AND a visual of a clock (sometimes my cell phone) and wait for the required 'one hour' before I could have a drink.

Lisa also pointed out to keep the drinks away while eating ~ VERY important~ I am 10 weeks post op and now, truthfully, I drink enouggh during the day to not want it during my meals. Also, it's a mential thing too ~ you KNOW you will have a drink eventually, just an hour later...so this relaxes my mind and I keep track on the time and go forward from there.

Don't beat yourself over this...in time you will get this down pat and it will be second nature to you.

Hang in there babe!