dairy issues

aguagirl19

hey guys,

Well I'm not sure if ate too much or I'm just not able to drink dairy anymore after surgery. I'm on day three of solid foods and yesterday I had my mom's Mexican hot chocolate made with milk. Almost right away my stomach started to hurt. It was probably an hour after dinner and I didn't think I had eaten that much Christmas dinner. I didn't have much dairy during my liquid phase because I don't really like yogurt. Did anyone else have problems with dairy after surgery? I know some have had issues with certain meats and breads. I'd really appreciate any feedback.

Erica :huh:

hey guys,

Well I'm not sure if ate too much or I'm just not able to drink dairy anymore after surgery. I'm on day three of solid foods and yesterday I had my mom's Mexican hot chocolate made with milk. Almost right away my stomach started to hurt. It was probably an hour after dinner and I didn't think I had eaten that much Christmas dinner. I didn't have much dairy during my liquid phase because I don't really like yogurt. Did anyone else have problems with dairy after surgery? I know some have had issues with certain meats and breads. I'd really appreciate any feedback.

Erica :huh:

Hi Erica,

I am not medically trained to give you advice, but I suggest you contact OCC regarding this. I am assuming you've not had any dairy product issues before you were banded? Maybe you just had an off day? Have you tried soymilk? I tried it and it's good ~ used it for cooking, cereals, drinking and even baking with it. Maybe just the Mexican Hot Choc was just too strong for you too soon? I know when I was banded, I was drinking and eating 'bland' food/drinks and when I started back on having spices and herbs, I don't use as much as both dried and fresh can be very overpowering in flavor. This is a learning experience and you may find certain foods may not be for you anymore. It's a trial in error and the band can be so finicky at times!

First and foremost, call your doctor. I suspect they won't even have you come in, but it can't hurt to call.

It's not unusual to experience new food intolerances after a major abdominal surgery. My doctor said the easiest way to tell if it's dairy is to cut it out of your diet almost completely. Then add it back slowly and see how your body reacts. There are very few actual tests that can determine if you're lactose intolerant or allergic to dairy. A food diary with notes about your symptoms is a great way to identify the potential problem.

Usually, the problem is lactose intolerance. That just means your body isn't producing enough of the enzyme lactase to digest the lactose you just ate. Most often, you'll react with cramps, gas, bloating, and diarrhea. Wheeeeee!

Milk and soft cheese (mozzarella, cream cheese, ricotta, etc.) have more lactose than hard cheese (cheddar, swiss, colby, etc.) and yogurt. Most people can tolerate some lactose in their day to day diet. It's when we consume large amounts that our bodies decide to rebel. There are a few over the counter products that supply the enzyme needed to digest lactose. Just take a pill before eating anything with milk and you're good to go.

If the problem is a true dairy allergy, you're more likely to experience things like a rash, breathing problems, or vomiting. An allergy is an immune response...your body sees milk as the enemy. Dairy allergies affect far more children than adults. I know you can develop an allergy at any time, but dairy allergies are extremely rare in adults.