Help Me Save Someone

shelly22171

I am writting because of my step mom. She is 520+ pounds and has been told if she don't loose the weight she will die. She does not have any insurance due to the fact she can't work any more because of her health problems. My dad even has to help her some times to go to the bathroom. My question is Is there any groups out there that will help pay for the lap band surgery. Or any help at this point. My dad lost my mom 12 years ago and i don't want him to loose another one. Thank you so much

I am writting because of my step mom. She is 520+ pounds and has been told if she don't loose the weight she will die. She does not have any insurance due to the fact she can't work any more because of her health problems. My dad even has to help her some times to go to the bathroom. My question is Is there any groups out there that will help pay for the lap band surgery. Or any help at this point. My dad lost my mom 12 years ago and i don't want him to loose another one. Thank you so much

Shelly,

Is your stepmother receiving Social Security disability payments? If she is, does she have Medicare yet? Medicare can help her pay for surgery. Her weight is high enough that lapband may not be the answer for her; she may very well need more radical surgery. I would bet that many, if not most doctors would not do lapband on her, but opt for gastric bypass.

If your stepmother has worked in the past, but is unable to now, she should check out Social Security disability payments to see if she is eligible. Her weight would make her medically eligible. Unfortunately, she wouldn't be eligible for medicare until she has been on Social Security for 24 months, so that isn't a quick fix for the insurance part of your question. Bless you for caring about her and your dad.

Thank you so much for caring enough to write back. I think she is trying to get disability. All the information you gave me is helpful. Again thank you so much.

Shelly,

Is your stepmother receiving Social Security disability payments? If she is, does she have Medicare yet? Medicare can help her pay for surgery. Her weight is high enough that lapband may not be the answer for her; she may very well need more radical surgery. I would bet that many, if not most doctors would not do lapband on her, but opt for gastric bypass.

If your stepmother has worked in the past, but is unable to now, she should check out Social Security disability payments to see if she is eligible. Her weight would make her medically eligible. Unfortunately, she wouldn't be eligible for medicare until she has been on Social Security for 24 months, so that isn't a quick fix for the insurance part of your question. Bless you for caring about her and your dad.

I wish I had something really helpful to say - I'm afraid I don't, but I just wanted to offer you and her the best of luck - I think it's wonderful that you are making an effort to do something for her - many people wouldn't. I hope she finds a good option. Godspeed.

I am with Disaster! She is lucky to have you by her side to help her and wishing you both success in finding the answer to her prayer!

Good luck and best to you!

• 1 year later...

One of the best ways to lose weight is to undergo Lap Band surgery procedure. It is surgery procedure in which a adjustable band is wrapped over upper part of your stomach which creates a small pouch and reduces your appetite.

Medicare Lap Band surgery is a health insurance program which covers 80% of total cost involved in Lap Band Surgery if the individuals qualify certain criteria developed by SSA.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Shelly22171. Don't take tension. Tell your mom that nothing is impossible so don't lose hope. Discuss with a doctor and give her some medicine to lose her fat. I give you another idea. Why she is not taking exercise because with this she can lose her fat. She should walk daily and she should eat simple things and 2 times a day. Eat vegetables and drink juices and eat fruits and water maximum time. . These things are important for our health so i assure you it will work. Ok So tell me soon about her progress. Thanks.

protein protein protein....can't stress that enough. I think it's the biggest weight loss "miracle" most people that are fat.....have low intake of protein. myself included.

Even with my calorie restriction with the band, if I don't have enough protein I completely stop losing weight and start gaining.