Day 3, Im dying here, need advice

My left shoulder is killing me, I know its gas pain but I've taken GAS-x strips and chewables, wallked alot, and slept with a heating pad on it, what else can I do? It feels like someone is hammering a nail into my shoulder! Other then that I feel great. Please help!

That was my bigest complaint, all I could do is rub it, they say its just gas built up, it does get better however I was banded in May and I still get the

pain, something I eat or drink triggers it but not sure what. I wish I was more help, Just remember your not alone and it is not uncommon to have that pain.

My left shoulder is killing me, I know its gas pain but I've taken GAS-x strips and chewables, wallked alot, and slept with a heating pad on it, what else can I do? It feels like someone is hammering a nail into my shoulder! Other then that I feel great. Please help!

It will go away,, be patient. Personally,, I never thought the Gas-x and stuff like that did anything. It's the CO2 gas that's trapped inside your body from the surgery,, it likes to go into the joints. It's not the same as gas inside your stomach and digestive track. Walking is the best thing for it. I know some patients have a harder time with this,, some never have it.. Your just lucky. LOL. It will dissipate and you won't even remember when it quit hurting,, it will just not hurt anymore.

I too had the severe left shoulder pain. I had to call OCC and talk to one of the doctors. I spoke with Dr. Martinez, and he told me to increase my water intake, because I wasn't taking in enough fluids. It really helped.

I hope you feel better soon.

Sorry you are going through that. I had terrible shoulder pain too and really all that helped me was taking some medicine and sleeping it off. The massage sounds like a great idea though - I hope that helps. Also, just moving around as much as you can. I would rub mine as well and do shoulder rolls to try to help work it out.

Good luck and do know it does go away I promise!

Hi Jenn, I can't believe that shoulder is still bothering you. I hope the masage works.

Thanks for all your support at the clinic and being my friend.

email when you get a chance.

Robin

Sorry to hear you are in such pain, however, I was banned on the 11th and suffered with this severely. I took 400 ibuprofen crushed mixed with Tylenol pain liquid cherry and did this every 4-6 hrs. I also made certain I drank only warm liquids I used a massager and took hot showers as well. I also used an ice pack. Mine finally went away after day 16 and has not returned.

I do not ever want that pain again. It will go away. in time.....

labella

Have the bell boys arrange for a massage for you in the room. That was the first thing I did when I got to the hotel and I am convinced it helped to rub the gas out of my system.

Donna, did you have a massage in your room at OCC?? If so, does that need to be arranged before I get there or what?? And who do I need to talk to, to set that up?? And how much does it cost??

I will try anything to keep from having that gas pain! I've had it once before after surgery, and like someone else said on this forum, it's gas trapped inside your body cavities and not inside your stomach. OTC remedies did not help me..

Thanks!!

I didn't get a massage, but my mom did. The lady will have a station in the lobby at the Lucerna and you just arrange it when you get there. My mom was in heaven! She had hers just right down in the lobby, but you can have them come to your room too. Wish I would have done it!

Hi There!

I had a terrible time with the gas pain in my shoulder and also in my belly. I wanted to post because I know what you’re going through. This is what I did; take it for what it’s worth.

1) I posted to this group. I got a lot of good advice and support and just knowing people had gone through it helped a lot and actually relaxing a little made the pain better.

2) I called the OCC regularly to make sure that I was not having symptoms that sounded dangerous.

3) I used the heating pad and never drank cold liquids. The heat seemed to work wonders.

4) I made sure I wasn’t constipated. Not having a BM seemed to make it all worse. I used Milk of Mag but others use liquid fiber with great results.

5) Do not underestimate the power of ibuprofen. I started taking it and it practically eliminated my pain. I think the anti-inflammatory action helps enormously.

6) I think I had a good amount of swelling which made me more uncomfortable so I never had more than 4 oz of liquid at a time. This was advice from the OCC.

When I was going through all this pain/discomfort I questioned my sanity in doing this to my body. However……When I was uncomfortable I had no appetite and lost more weight in 2 weeks than I had been able to do in two years. My pain got much better in 2-3 weeks and now I have virtually no pain or discomfort……….. but my appetite is back and I am struggling to keep up my momentum before my first fill. Now I know this was the way to go despite the problems that come along with it.

Good luck and it will get better!! Hang in there!

You also have to roll your shoulders - that helps me a lot! Get up and walk and swing your arms around over and over. That helps break up the gas.

Amanda ~ you took the words out of my mouth! I had very little gas issues from my surgery, so I needed minimal assistance. Like Dolittle had said, it's mostly the CO2 gas they used to blow up your stomach region to aid in inserting your band that's lingering. As 'air' bubbles rises and you are standing or sitting up, the gas bubbles rises also and mostly lay in your upper chest and shoulders. Although, I, too, had taken the Gas X strips ~ two at a time and I thought they had helped me in some ways for my bloatness and swelling feeling.

After surgery, I had walked often, every 2 hours or less, into the wee hours of the morning and that had helped me. When I got home, I took several mini walks, not just a few long walks. Also, like Amanda said, rolling your shoulders in circles backwards and then forward can jiggle the gas bubbles. Another thing to do is raise one arm up and slightly stretch up towards the ceilint and then do the other arm. Moving the joints around will aid in getting the gas out of the joints area. Use a heating pad for a bit and then have hubby rub your shoulders while you are rolling your neck around. Again, as mentioned, drink lots of water. And lastly, don't sit for a long period of time, which can cause the gas bubbles to 'settle' in those sneaky jointed areas.

Hope this helps...

Hi There!

I had a terrible time with the gas pain in my shoulder and also in my belly. I wanted to post because I know what you’re going through. This is what I did; take it for what it’s worth.

1) I posted to this group. I got a lot of good advice and support and just knowing people had gone through it helped a lot and actually relaxing a little made the pain better.

2) I called the OCC regularly to make sure that I was not having symptoms that sounded dangerous.

3) I used the heating pad and never drank cold liquids. The heat seemed to work wonders.

4) I made sure I wasn’t constipated. Not having a BM seemed to make it all worse. I used Milk of Mag but others use liquid fiber with great results.

5) Do not underestimate the power of ibuprofen. I started taking it and it practically eliminated my pain. I think the anti-inflammatory action helps enormously.

6) I think I had a good amount of swelling which made me more uncomfortable so I never had more than 4 oz of liquid at a time. This was advice from the OCC.

When I was going through all this pain/discomfort I questioned my sanity in doing this to my body. However……When I was uncomfortable I had no appetite and lost more weight in 2 weeks than I had been able to do in two years. My pain got much better in 2-3 weeks and now I have virtually no pain or discomfort……….. but my appetite is back and I am struggling to keep up my momentum before my first fill. Now I know this was the way to go despite the problems that come along with it.

Good luck and it will get better!! Hang in there!

GREAT post FLGIRL!

Ah yes, get the CO2 to move, roll your shoulders AND a massage! HAHAHAHA I went for the massage because my back was so freaking tight lying in the bed for so long. When I got to the hotel Lucerna, my bell boy, Alonso, immediately grabbed my bags and asked if I wanted a massage in my room. Of course I did! :) So he had that gal in my room within an hour after I checked in. I believe it was $70. You can get the hotel to arrange it for you ahead of time.

I was able to lie on my stomach and cleared this with Dr Miranda before hand. I had no pain/problems with it, then I again, I think the pain meds were still in my system.

You can also arrange for your nails to be painted after your surgery in your recovery room. That needs to be arranged with OCC.

I was banded on 11/20 and my shoulder hurts as I type this! It hurts when I get too hungry or too full. Sometimes it just hurts because the sun is shining. .......or not...haha. The band is placed near where the phrenic nerve runs through and this is aggravated and referred to the shoulder much like the displaced co2 pain.

Its not fun, but its worth it, I guess. I have good days and bad days with it.

The ONLY thing that helped me was the disposable heating pads that you get in the pharmacy area. I cannot remember the name... I got the ones for your lower back and just kind of angled it across the shoulder and back. It helped ALOT. Riding in a car or on our kabota really made it worse.... maybe the vibrations of it. Try it, hopefully it will give you some relief.

I went through horrible shoulder pain for almost 2 months after surgery (still get pain every once in a while). I talked to my doctor about it and she said that the pain was not actually in your shoulder, but that was just where your nerve endings were. The pain is called referral pain and it is from the gas trapped in your diaphragm. She described it like getting a backache when you have menstrual cramps. I used the phazyme a lot and that seemed to help but walking was the best thing. I found if I walked up a couple flights of stairs it could usually bring up a good burp. The pain always seem to lessen when I was able to release the trapped gas.

I know it hurts now, but it will get better soon. :lb4:

The thought of having this pain for 2 months makes me want to jump off a cliff.... I went to the emergency room yesterday it was so bad, they said that sometimes that pain can be a sign of a blood clot, so I went there thinking they would give me pain killers and be on my way, instead I was there for 8 hours running every test imaginable. I am glad to know I am healthy and doing well but they were unable to do anything for the pain other then prescribe vicodin.

The only good thing is that when I lay on it, I am able to sleep at night. Oh well, guess I will have to take it day by day. I am sorry anyone has had to go through this, but I am also glad I am not the only one as that would probably make me real nervous.

For those who have already had the band and are recovering, did anyone notice two pin hole incisions around the top of their belly button? I was banded 12/30 and go for my follow up next week. But I'm really curious as to what happened there during the surgery???

For those who have already had the band and are recovering, did anyone notice two pin hole incisions around the top of their belly button? I was banded 12/30 and go for my follow up next week. But I'm really curious as to what happened there during the surgery???

I just found this while looking for info on how to get rid of shoulder pain

"During the lap, C02 (Carbon Dioxide) gas is injected through a special needle inserted just below the navel.(1) "

Could be the answer to your belly button question