How Many Fills?

I know each person is different and this is a personal thing, but how many fills did it take for you to hit your sweet spot? How long from your surgery date did it take for you to get to your sweet spot? Do you think you might need another fill after you have hit that spot?

Just Wondering,

Jenelle, Yahoo 8 more days until the new me!!

I know each person is different and this is a personal thing, but how many fills did it take for you to hit your sweet spot? How long from your surgery date did it take for you to get to your sweet spot? Do you think you might need another fill after you have hit that spot?

Just Wondering,

Jenelle, Yahoo 8 more days until the new me!!

Hi Janelle...congrats!! Wow, this is a toughy and I am so new. I was banded on Oct 8 last year and my first fill was Nov 22 (6.5 weeks post op) and then 4 weeks later I had my 2nd fill on Dec 20. I am currently on my 'sweet spot' and this is a good thing for me.

Also, I've been told your first fill is like a 'primer' for you and your band to 'adjust' to this tightening. You don't want your body to reject or rebel what is going on, so it's a progressive type of thing. My first fill didn't last long and I had a 1cc fill in my 4cc band. I was ok for about a week and a half and then I was starting to use more willpower to continue. That was my clue to get another fill soon. My 2nd fill was only .6cc, which gave me a total of 1.6cc fill in my band. And I am telling you...I still have good restriction 3 weeks since.

I am hoping the older bandsters will help you out for the longer term...

Congrats on your upcoming surgery! It will be here before you know it.

I hit my sweet spot on my 3rd fill 2.9cc's. I got my 3rd fill a little over 4 months after being banded. If you read my signature it will tell you how much weight I lost from surgery until each fill.

I had to have an unfill a week ago becaue I just tightened up and couldn't keep anything down. I'm down to 2.3cc's right now and still have great restriction.. almost to the point that I might have a little more taken out because I am still not consistently getting enough down (in my opinion)

Hope this helps.

Hi I was overfilled on my second fill so I had most of that removed (believe me you don't want to be overfilled :lb12: ) then I went a few months later for my third fill, which was half the amount of my second, I think I would like to have just a tad of that removed, still a little to tight. It is just easier to drink my calories than eat them, and that is not the purpose of the band.

You will find that everyone is different, I lost all my weight on my first fill (40 lbs.) and have only maintained on the rest. I would still like to lose 10 lbs. but even with the band the last 10 is the hardest. To tell you the truth as long as I don't gain any I will be perfectly happy at this weight.

I am so happy with my band, I would have gained back every thing I had lost and then some without the band. I guess I need to change my name to ..YOYONOMORE :)

Hi I was overfilled on my second fill so I had most of that removed (believe me you don't want to be overfilled :lb12: ) then I went a few months later for my third fill, which was half the amount of my second, I think I would like to have just a tad of that removed, still a little to tight. It is just easier to drink my calories than eat them, and that is not the purpose of the band.

You will find that everyone is different, I lost all my weight on my first fill (40 lbs.) and have only maintained on the rest. I would still like to lose 10 lbs. but even with the band the last 10 is the hardest. To tell you the truth as long as I don't gain any I will be perfectly happy at this weight.

I am so happy with my band, I would have gained back every thing I had lost and then some without the band. I guess I need to change my name to ..YOYONOMORE :)

HAHAHAHAHAHAH... "yoyonomore" that's funny! and soooo true!

:huh:

I am struggling with what to do, it will cost about $500.00 for me to fly back to Dr Ortiz office for my first fill that was included in price of surgery, his office does under floroscope.

Below is the cost I have been quoted to drive 4 hours each way from the closest fill center to my home...

"The pricing for any provider in our network is $349 for the initial visit, which does include the first fill. The follow up visits are $165 for a visit with an adjustment and $85 for a visit without an adjustment. The price for the annual program is $1372. This includes 4 visits with adjustments and 8 office consultations. You do have the option of trading in 2 office consultations for 1 fill visit up to two times within this year. This would give you a total of 6 adjustments.

This provider doesn’t have access to the fluoroscopy.

What is everyones experiance with floroscopy vs non-floroscopy fills, do you have to go more often to find the "right" amount if not done under foroscopy???

Just banded on the 6th of January but want to book flight in advance if it would be better to go back and have done under floroscopy by Dr Ortiz' office

Anyone know of fill center that does under floroscopy here in states that may be cheaper to fly to than the 6 hour flight going back to Mexico?

I will do whatever it takes to try and get the right fit in the least visits as our money is very limited, it took me 4 years to save for surgery and first fill and I still had to finance some of it and my loan payments started this month. While cost is important, getting fills done right is more important.

Looking for the guidance of those who have gone through this already

I am struggling with what to do, it will cost about $500.00 for me to fly back to Dr Ortiz office for my first fill that was included in price of surgery, his office does under floroscope.

Below is the cost I have been quoted to drive 4 hours each way from the closest fill center to my home...

"The pricing for any provider in our network is $349 for the initial visit, which does include the first fill. The follow up visits are $165 for a visit with an adjustment and $85 for a visit without an adjustment. The price for the annual program is $1372. This includes 4 visits with adjustments and 8 office consultations. You do have the option of trading in 2 office consultations for 1 fill visit up to two times within this year. This would give you a total of 6 adjustments.

What is everyones experiance with floroscopy vs non-floroscopy fills, do you have to go more often to find the "right" amount if not done under foroscopy???

Just banded on the 6th of January but want to book flight in advance if it would be better to go back and have done under floroscopy by Dr Ortiz' office

Anyone know of fill center that does under floroscopy here in states that may be cheaper to fly to than the 6 hour flight going back to Mexico?

I will do whatever it takes to try and get the right fit in the least visits as our money is very limited, it took me 4 years to save for surgery and first fill and I still had to finance some of it and my loan payments started this month. While cost is important, getting fills done right is more important.

Hi Lawanda,

Personally, I feel much more at ease using Floro. Three of us were banded July 21st, 2008 and just had our 3rd fill in December. Two of us believe we are at our Sweet Spot after this last fill (the 3rd gal has a 10 cc band) If you do go to the OCC I would go when Dr. So is doing the fills.

Just food for thought...On each of our trips to TJ we have met at least one person per trip who was there to get the fill situation straightened out after having blind fills from other doctors. It seems like they spent a lot of money to have a lot of small blind fills only to eventually return to OCC in the end. Of course, it's good planning to have someone nearby who can unfill you should you need one.

I believe there are a few Fill Center USA locations who use Floro. I would google them and see what you find.

Good luck with your decision, I know it's difficult when every dollar counts to make sound decision. For me, my less expensive choices have always ended up costing me more in the long run.

Take Care!!

EXCELLENT post Michelle and very good points! I had 2 fills done at OCC and they only do fills under fluoro. Very assuring as 'visuals' relaxes me to know my band is ok and I can see my newly pouch.

Like Michelle, both times at my fill appts, there were individuals waiting to have their fills 'fix' because they went somewhere else. Their biggest gripe was even though 'closer to home', they had to pay extra to go back to OCC to fix their issues. One had a total unfill and had to be on full liquids for 2 weeks and then come back to be filled. Michelle nailed it by saying in the end, you may end up spending more to correct the issue by going back to OCC, when it may have been better in the long run to go back there in the first place.

Everyone is really going to have a different opinion on this. The band is fickle, IMHO, it is how you and your band are adjusting and the knowledge of the fill dr, etc. I am one of the lucky ones who lives in San Diego and can go to OCC anytime. BUT, if I lived elsewhere, I would still go back to OCC, as I trust their expertise and going back to the 'source' in the first place, eases my mind that they can assist me in any situations I may have. And, I would still plan an 'emergency' place nearby if I couldn't get to OCC quickly.

I've been hearing there are a lot of fills drs around that are really good and they are succeeding in their weight loss journey. I am hoping others will post as well.

Good luck with your decision.

EXCELLENT post Michelle and very good points! I had 2 fills done at OCC and they only do fills under fluoro. Very assuring as 'visuals' relaxes me to know my band is ok and I can see my newly pouch.

Like Michelle, both times at my fill appts, there were individuals waiting to have their fills 'fix' because they went somewhere else. Their biggest gripe was even though 'closer to home', they had to pay extra to go back to OCC to fix their issues. One had a total unfill and had to be on full liquids for 2 weeks and then come back to be filled. Michelle nailed it by saying in the end, you may end up spending more to correct the issue by going back to OCC, when it may have been better in the long run to go back there in the first place.

Everyone is really going to have a different opinion on this. The band is fickle, IMHO, it is how you and your band are adjusting and the knowledge of the fill dr, etc. I am one of the lucky ones who lives in San Diego and can go to OCC anytime. BUT, if I lived elsewhere, I would still go back to OCC, as I trust their expertise and going back to the 'source' in the first place, eases my mind that they can assist me in any situations I may have. And, I would still plan an 'emergency' place nearby if I couldn't get to OCC quickly.

I've been hearing there are a lot of fills drs around that are really good and they are succeeding in their weight loss journey. I am hoping others will post as well.

Good luck with your decision.

I have been banded for 8 months, and it took 2 fills for me to reach my sweet spot and 6 for me to reach my goal weight. Each person is different as you have heard prior, but in my case, i waited and used self control before i got another fill to work on the mental hunger. Therefore technically, i guess i could have had 2 fills but i choose not to. Now that i reached my goal, the band is being weird since on most days i cannot eat during lunch but then for dinner i can. however i am not gaining weight.

Keep up the good work!!

I have been banded for 8 months, and it took 2 fills for me to reach my sweet spot and 6 for me to reach my goal weight. Each person is different as you have heard prior, but in my case, i waited and used self control before i got another fill to work on the mental hunger. Therefore technically, i guess i could have had 2 fills but i choose not to. Now that i reached my goal, the band is being weird since on most days i cannot eat during lunch but then for dinner i can. however i am not gaining weight.

Keep up the good work!!

Do you mean six months to reach goal or six fills???

Sabrina:)

Lawanda,

We were in the same boat as you are. My husband Dane had sugery on 12/30/2008. We looked at doing fluoro for the 1st one and then going to the USA fill center for the rest of his fills. As the closest one Fill center is New Jersey from ohio with fluoro. So we chose to go back just ot make sure everything is going good. Which is very important to us as the money we spent out of pocket is something we can't afford to pay again for. Dr. Martinez recommends you need to get the 1st one under floro to get the right fill the 1st time. So far it's the best route for us to go. They can be more aggressive with you under fluoro then with a blind fill. We feel so more confident going back to the OCC then going in blind the 1st fill. Dane feels more at ease by going back to the OCC for the 1st one to make sure everything looks good under fluoro before doing it blind

Carolyn

Dane banded 12/30/2008 Dr.Martinez at OCC

LaWanda, I also went to someone locally for blind fills to save money, but it didn't go well... no problems finding the port, but they can't tell how much food will get through the band without the fluoro. It's so frustrating to get a fill, go on liquids for a day or two, then find out you don't have any restriction. I paid $150 for each blind fill - did 3 of those, with no real restriction, then went back down to OCC to get it fixed. So I paid $450 and wasted all that time when I should've been losing weight! I think blind would be okay for your first fill since you probably won't have a lot of restriction, then use fluoro for your 2nd so it can be adjusted properly. It also might be okay when you know you only need just a tiny bit more or less. I highly recommend to at least mix it up so you know everything is good. Just as you said, you'll probably go for more fills if not under fluoro.

Keep asking around and a better solution might come up eventually. I just recently learned of more docs in my area that I had no idea did fills.

Good luck!!

Hello Everyone.... :D

Thank you for your responce... I did not think about it till one of the posts mentioned them being able to check my band before the 1st fill... while I am following the rules, I think I would have more peace of mind if I knew the OCC had checked it priour to the first fill... I too have always ended up paying more when trying to cut corners on cost and with my health on the line I think I will go back to OCC for my fill.

Thank you again for your answers, it does help to hear everyone elses experiance.

LaWanda