I have finally entered bandland

We arrived at the OCC at around 10 yesterday morning, and had my lung test, ekg and talked with Dr. miranda, all donw pretty quickly. However, I ended up being the last surgery, so I had to wait until 2...the waiting was killing me..lol. When Dr. Ortiz came in to talk to me, and I has already my relaxation pills so I was alittle out of it. I just couldn't believe how handsome he was in person, actually all of that staff are so pretty and so nice..I just loved them all. Once they wheeled me into the OR, I had a mask put over my mouth and I was out...such a strange feeling. I had a hard time coming out of it, and was feeling nauseated when they made me go on my first walk. So they gave me some motion sickness meds in my IV, that knocked me out, and once I woke up I felt really good. Later on a got some broth, Capri Suns and some Otterpops..yummy! At around 8 pm, they gave me pain meds, and then around 9 pm, they gave me a pill for under my tongue that made me sleep all night long..it was so nice. I woke up at 5:30 and changed, got some more broth and water, watched a little tv, then my mom showed up and waited for a driver to take us back to the border parking lot.

Overall my experience was wonderful, the place was so clean, and the staff so nice, I forgot I was in TJ, infact it looked alot like Los Angeles..lol. Even my mom was not nervous about going back to the hotel by herself. I never got the see the hotel, which was sort of a bummer, but I was anxious to get home. Dr. Ortiz told my mom after surgery that I had a lot of stomach fat (which I knew I did, because that is where I carry most of my weight) so he said the surgery was sort of difficult. I had to have the largest band (I guess the VG) because of that reason and because I am so tall.

So now I am home, and just had some broth, and I feel pretty good. Just walking slow, and my stomach is real puffy and just real sensitive, especially near the port site. It's kind of hard to bend or get up and down. I am so excited about this, and I am not even hungry :)

Congrats! I relate with the not being able to remember anything. I don't even remember being rolled into the OR. If you can just take it easy for a few days.

I found out that if I didn't lean to the left I was fine and if I remembered to just do everything to the right I was fine. I am glad that you finally were able to get this part of the journey over. It is quite amazing isn't it? Good Luck!

Congrats!!

Thanks for the play to play. It was just like reliving it all over again. I too took a long time coming out of the anesthesia and only now remember a little of the doc coming in after the surgery and telling me I had a lot of the "F" word around my stomach also. He said we are the ones that usually lose it the fastest. You should have taken the time to spend an extra day at the Lucerna as it is a nice place.

Best Wishes

It's so interesting to read others' experiences. I completely recall everything right up to getting onto the operating table. I know that I was feeling the effect of the ativan (the pill they put under your tongue), because I would have been way more nervous without it. I remember them strapping me down to the table and one of the doctors talking to me about my field of work. I remember looking at the lights above. The next thing I remember I was dreaming, and when I woke up, I saw the lights again. I could feel them brushing something (glue?) onto my incisions and remember feeling some pain from them. I remember them asking me if I could move, but because I couldn't, they lifted me onto the hospital bed and wheeled me into my room. I remember the movement of my breathing was hurting my incisions so I asked for more pain medication. I don't know if they gave it to me or not, but I remember sleeping for a couple of hours and being woken up by one of the nurses to start walking. Oh how I loved that initial sleep after the general anesthesia. And that remember clearly that awful feeling of having to rise up and get up out of bed. *ouch!*

I remember the young handsome Dr. Acosta. Actually all the doctors were good-looking!

Congrats! Welcome to the really exciting part of the journey!

YEAH! Congrats ckiki ~ see we told you it was easy! LOL...now just remember to sip, sip, sip and WALK, WALK, WALK. Do lots of mini walks, not just long ones. The object is to keep moving to get those gas bubbles out of you.

So glad your experience was a good one and your Mum was comfy with the arrangements. Keep posting to let us know how you are doing and come on back if you have any questions or concerns.

((HUGS!))...WELCOME to Bandland...you are now on your path to your weight loss journey ~ enjoy it, for you are going to love the results!

jhawkchick75,

I'm from Missouri, too. My friend and I were banded at the OCC by Dr. Martinez on Dec 22nd. Maybe we can meet up some time. It's so neat to meet people going through the same experience. We live about 90 miles southeast of St. Louis. We're both teachers, so maybe we can come to KC for a baseball game or something.

My email address is vbranstetter@hotmail.com.

My daughters went to Mizzou, so the Jayhawks were the mortal enemies. HA! We'll have to put all of that behind us. LOL

125ne1

Hey!

It was great meeting you at the OCC! I hope you are doing well. I am really sore still and having the gas pain but I guess thats to be expected.

Good luck on your journey

Hey Christy, it was great meeting you as well. I feel like those 2 days are a blur, like they really didn't happen..lol. I am sorry your still feeling sore. Good luck to you as well. :)

I am doing really good, the only thing I am having trouble with is trying to get comfortable while sleeping. I keep waking up with a sore neck from laying on one side all night. Last night, I felt really bloaty, however, the gas pains have been very minimal. I felt it a little in my shoulder yesterday, but I kept rubbing it out, so it never got unbearable. I never had to take the pain meds they gave me, so that was good. Today is day 4, and I am not even hungry..yay!!

Hey Christy, it was great meeting you as well. I feel like those 2 days are a blur, like they really didn't happen..lol. I am sorry your still feeling sore. Good luck to you as well. :)

I am doing really good, the only thing I am having trouble with is trying to get comfortable while sleeping. I keep waking up with a sore neck from laying on one side all night. Last night, I felt really bloaty, however, the gas pains have been very minimal. I felt it a little in my shoulder yesterday, but I kept rubbing it out, so it never got unbearable. I never had to take the pain meds they gave me, so that was good. Today is day 4, and I am not even hungry..yay!!

Good Morning ckiki! Glad to see you are doing great! Yeah, I didn't have to take any pain meds either and my gas pains were very minimal too.

Don't forget, today you can have those wonderful drinkable yogurts! Yeah!

We arrived at the OCC at around 10 yesterday morning, and had my lung test, ekg and talked with Dr. miranda, all donw pretty quickly. However, I ended up being the last surgery, so I had to wait until 2...the waiting was killing me..lol. When Dr. Ortiz came in to talk to me, and I has already my relaxation pills so I was alittle out of it. I just couldn't believe how handsome he was in person, actually all of that staff are so pretty and so nice..I just loved them all. Once they wheeled me into the OR, I had a mask put over my mouth and I was out...such a strange feeling. I had a hard time coming out of it, and was feeling nauseated when they made me go on my first walk. So they gave me some motion sickness meds in my IV, that knocked me out, and once I woke up I felt really good. Later on a got some broth, Capri Suns and some Otterpops..yummy! At around 8 pm, they gave me pain meds, and then around 9 pm, they gave me a pill for under my tongue that made me sleep all night long..it was so nice. I woke up at 5:30 and changed, got some more broth and water, watched a little tv, then my mom showed up and waited for a driver to take us back to the border parking lot.

Overall my experience was wonderful, the place was so clean, and the staff so nice, I forgot I was in TJ, infact it looked alot like Los Angeles..lol. Even my mom was not nervous about going back to the hotel by herself. I never got the see the hotel, which was sort of a bummer, but I was anxious to get home. Dr. Ortiz told my mom after surgery that I had a lot of stomach fat (which I knew I did, because that is where I carry most of my weight) so he said the surgery was sort of difficult. I had to have the largest band (I guess the VG) because of that reason and because I am so tall.

So now I am home, and just had some broth, and I feel pretty good. Just walking slow, and my stomach is real puffy and just real sensitive, especially near the port site. It's kind of hard to bend or get up and down. I am so excited about this, and I am not even hungry :)

I want to thank you for your post I go tomorrow to be banded and you have put me at ease I hope everything goes as good for me I hope to be back in san diego

as a possible sounds like you went home right a way

Don't forget, today you can have those wonderful drinkable yogurts! Yeah!

I think I am going to wait a few more days to have the yogurts, I am not even hungry. Although, the chicken broth is beginning to gross me out..lol. I think I may go get some broth at the Japanese place that I love.

I want to thank you for your post I go tomorrow to be banded and you have put me at ease I hope everything goes as good for me I hope to be back in san diego

as a possible sounds like you went home right a way

You are so welcome. It really is an easy surgery. Yes, I did get to go home the next morning, infact if I would have had my surgery earlier, I would have been allowed to go back to the hotel. Good luck!!! :) You will be just fine!

I think I am going to wait a few more days to have the yogurts, I am not even hungry. Although, the chicken broth is beginning to gross me out..lol. I think I may go get some broth at the Japanese place that I love.

You are so welcome. It really is an easy surgery. Yes, I did get to go home the next morning, infact if I would have had my surgery earlier, I would have been allowed to go back to the hotel. Good luck!!! :) You will be just fine!

I recommend everyone stay at the clinic after your surgery. I did, but I knew some people that chose to go back to the hotel and had some pain and wished they would have stayed over night. IF you stay at the OCC, obviously if you have pain and need meds they can give it to you. If you go back to the OCC all you will have are the little pain pills they give you. So, stay the night and enjoy your time at the OCC!

jhawkchick75,

I'm from Missouri, too. My friend and I were banded at the OCC by Dr. Martinez on Dec 22nd. Maybe we can meet up some time. It's so neat to meet people going through the same experience. We live about 90 miles southeast of St. Louis. We're both teachers, so maybe we can come to KC for a baseball game or something.

My email address is vbranstetter@hotmail.com.

My daughters went to Mizzou, so the Jayhawks were the mortal enemies. HA! We'll have to put all of that behind us. LOL

125ne1

Hi there! Yea for other MO folks! If you all ever come this way definitely let me know. I have good friends in STL so I end up out that way quite a bit. I hope your healing is going well. That is so great you had a friend to go with you. It sure helps a lot if you can have someone else to share the experience with. It's really hard for anyone else to understand.

I have many family members that went to MU so I get crap a lot. Actually, I work for the UM system! But yes, I have KU stuff in my office! :) Please feel free to throw me a line anytime! Good luck with your weight loss and if you need anything let me know. I'm still fairly new in the process, but have my 2nd fill tomorrow so hopefully it will kick in.

Take care!!!!

Hey!

It was great meeting you at the OCC! I hope you are doing well. I am really sore still and having the gas pain but I guess thats to be expected.

Good luck on your journey :)

Hey Christy. Good to hear you are doing OK. So far, so good for me. I haven't had much gas pain, it comes and goes - mainly in my chest. I started with the liquid yogurt last night - I just couldn't stomach anymore chicken broth! Classes started today and it was good to get back to work.

Are you planning to go to the OCC for your first fill? I think my husband and I will make a mini vacation of it one of the last weekends in February.

Keep in touch!

Connie