Food w/o liquids

aguagirl19

Hi Everyone,

So I'm starting to notice that food and liquids go hand and hand and I kind of miss it. I miss breakfast with coffee or dinner with a glass a wine. Or sometimes you eat salty foods and really need a drink to wash of down. Plus, sucking on ice doesn't work for me. How do you guys deal with this? Is it even an issue for anyone else? Thanks everybody.

Hi Everyone,

So I'm starting to notice that food and liquids go hand and hand and I kind of miss it. I miss breakfast with coffee or dinner with a glass a wine. Or sometimes you eat salty foods and really need a drink to wash of down. Plus, sucking on ice doesn't work for me. How do you guys deal with this? Is it even an issue for anyone else? Thanks everybody.

It hasn't been easy, there are times i still slip up and drink maybe a little too soon. But, I try my best & it is getting easier. Just stay focused.

Hi Everyone,

When I first started on solids, I had a hard time adjusting to this ruling of no drinking while eating. It's hard to take this 'negative' activity out of my daily routine I have had all my life. My body and mind rebels such an idea. It's because we think we will be deprive of a drink. So, knowing full well we will be able to drink again, we need to plan accordingly.

So, it is suggested to NOT pour a drink when getting ready to eat, so you won't be tempted to 'reach' for it. I make sure I drink throughout the whole day, to stay hydrated at all times. Example ~ knowing dinner is to be served at 5pm, I would stop drinking between 4:45p and 4:55p. Eat my meal and then wait between 45 min to (1) hour before I start reaching for a drink again, if I needed it.

As well as being hydrated from the inside drinking liquids, I take daily mini, quick showers to help keep my exterior (skin and hair) hydrated.

All the best...

And I found that keeping my daily journal and having my schedule everyday really helps. Being on that schedule that you have to follow is great. You have to have the liquids before and after, so get in the habit of writing it down somewhere. It will get you in a routine.

I chew gum after meals. I know you're not supposed to chew gum because it may cause you to swallow more air (discomfort), but I tried gum out cautiously, and my body reacted fine. Minty gums make your mouth feel refreshed, like drinking a cold glass of water. Sure, you may swallow saliva, but really no more than you would chewing something else. You may also want to brush your teeth after meals, to get the same effect.

I chew gum after meals. I know you're not supposed to chew gum because it may cause you to swallow more air (discomfort), but I tried gum out cautiously, and my body reacted fine. Minty gums make your mouth feel refreshed, like drinking a cold glass of water. Sure, you may swallow saliva, but really no more than you would chewing something else. You may also want to brush your teeth after meals, to get the same effect.

Good idea! I had not thought about it right after meals, but I do have to chew. My teeth have been giving me grief of lacking of chewing since being banded. You don't think about it, but we chewed a lot more before surgery! I am gonna try gum right after meals now, THANKS! :)

The more fills you have and the more restricted you become, you will find you cannot physically drink while eating anymore, even if you want to. I've always tried to drink right up until I eat, then put my glass away. You will get used to it over time, and like I said, eventually you won't be able to do it because the liquid will not pass through the food, and comes right back up. I experienced this while eating at a restaurant and "forgot" to remove my drink and out of habit, reached for it. I had to spit it back into the glass. Not a pretty sight!

I originally thought.."that's no big deal", well it turns out it is for me too. And I have not been able to do it successfully, yet....working on it though. This goes hand in hand also with the fact that I am a salt-a-holic. I have had to try and cut out the salt (now I am using salt substitute). The lack of salt has helped me a lot in training myself not to drink with food.

Cindy

Not drinking while eating has been the most challenging thing for me about life post-band. I can deal with waiting half an hour after drinking, but not being able to drink for an hour afterwards is killer. But as with every other struggle or challenge I've dealt with post-band, this too has gotten easier with time, and I hope it will continue to get easier as I adjust to this totally new way of eating.

I've found that chewing gum helps or having one of my chewable multivitamins following a meal. Even ending your meal with a sweet food can help to get rid of that aftertaste (e.g. a mint, strawberry).

As for spicy foods, a small amount of sugar on the tongue really helps to get rid of the burn (much better than water actually). Plain yoghurt also helps with that (as well as cleansing the palate), although I'm not sure if that would count as a liquid or solid. I've been counting sf puddings and popsicles as a liquid.