Tax write off

Hey everyone. I was wondering if we can count our surgery expenses as a deduction on our taxes? I think I have seen a few people on here say that they did that, but I couldn't remember 100%. I know this is a bit off-topic for this forum but the other topics don't always get many viewers, so thought I would post here and hope someone can help me out. Thanks to anyone who can give me advice.

Also, please check out my photo album!! I have photos from my surgery and updated photos also from about a week ago :D Your comments would be appreciated. I can't see any difference.

Hey everyone. I was wondering if we can count our surgery expenses as a deduction on our taxes? I think I have seen a few people on here say that they did that, but I couldn't remember 100%. I know this is a bit off-topic for this forum but the other topics don't always get many viewers, so thought I would post here and hope someone can help me out. Thanks to anyone who can give me advice.

Also, please check out my photo album!! I have photos from my surgery and updated photos also from about a week ago :D Your comments would be appreciated. I can't see any difference.

Carrie,

There is a recent thread on this subject. It should be on page 1, 2 or 3.

Kristy

I am deducting mine and I paid for it from my HSA. Just because insurance didn't pay, does not mean it was not needed. go for it!

I am going to take a look at your photos but come on now you have gone from 225 to 165 and you can't see the difference? that is quite hard to believe. Are you still wearing the same size? I highly doubt that is the case. Maybe you have body morphing issues and need professional help with this if you don't see a difference.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, it is tax deductable, if you itemize and only the part above 7.5% of your income is deductable. Your itemized deductions would have to be above the standard deduction of 10,900 for married filing jointly to make it better to itemize than take the standard deduction.

I say definitely check it out, but when I ran it by the girl doing my taxes she said it really won't make any difference on mine. If you make a pretty decent salary or have joint incomes from what I understand it really won't be worth the filing. But everyone's situation is very different so make sure and ask!

Also, total sidebar but for any of you that have bought a house for the first time this year there are some pretty significant perks for you!

I filed my taxes. And, already got my refund. I claimed my surgery expenses. It didn't make a huge difference for me... but, it certainly didn't hurt either. Uhm Shelby... darn about the house thing, no extra fun perks when I bought my house a couple of years ago.

Kristy

I filed my taxes. And, already got my refund. I claimed my surgery expenses. It didn't make a huge difference for me... but, it certainly didn't hurt either. Uhm Shelby... darn about the house thing, no extra fun perks when I bought my house a couple of years ago.

Kristy

WHEN I HAD IT DONE, I DID USE IT AS A DEDUCTION. WE FIGURED OUT OUR TAXES WITH AND WITHOUT THE SURGERY ADDED IN AND IT MADE ABOUT A 350.00 DIFFERENCE FOR US IN OUR POCKETS

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc502.html

How about the air flight, can we claim it also?

My understanding is you can claim all of it...flight, fills, all that. I might take my receipts with me and have her run it just to see. Heck, even if it's only say $150 bucks that is something!

Yeah Kristy I am pretty jazzed about the house thing. For some reason my girl said it is for anyone that has bought a house after April 1st of 08 and I closed on April 14th! I am getting my taxes done tomorrow and hoping for a good amount. I have a few things around the house i'd like to get done and I am gonna put a good chunk on my credit cards.