Pre-Op Weight Loss

Because I've got a higher BMI, Dr. Miranda want's me to lose 15-18lbs before the op. For those who are already banded, did you lose the required amount? and if you didn't, what happened? was you surgery postponed?

I know that the whole point of this is to shrink your liver and melt some of the fat around your stomach, but i really don't know if i can lose that amount of weight in a month. i mean, isn't the whole reason i'm getting banded because it's hard for me to do it on my own? between the PCOS and a thyroid problem (not to mention other health issues), it's been really challenging. sorry, don't mean be whiny. i'm just nervous about the surgery and hungry :unsure:

Hey!

Dr. Miranda wanted me to loose 12 lbs before surgery and I lost about 6. Just stick to the diet as best as you can and drink lots of water and you'll do great! It's good that you are starting a month before surgery too, that way you can allow yourself a couple of little "cheats"! Unless you gain a large amount of weight beforehand I doubt that you would be postponed, I haven't heard of anyone on her being postponed.

You can do it!!

:lb4:

I haven't heard of anyone having the surgery postponed due to not losing the weight, BUT I wouldn't risk it. If you order the Opti-fast and stick strictly to a 14 day liquid diet before your surgery, YOU WILL SUCCEED!!! Trust me, I only had 12 days to lose 12 pounds, and I did it using Optifast liquid diet. Sure it was hard, BUT once those pounds are gone, THEY ARE GONE FOREVER!!! It also gives your body a kick start to getting ready for the band. Yes, I did cheat with a bite here and there, but I didn't let it get me down. I still use Optifast for breakfast or after workout meals. I really like them better than slimfast or other drinks. (I use the pre-made boxed kind because they are all ready for you to drink anywhere anytime, I don't use the powder type) Also, when you get the urge to eat, go for a walk or read a book, call a friend, or just distract yourself with something else.

:lb11:

I would call Dr. Miranda and go over your plan with her now. She can go over what you are doing and suggest something else to add that might help speed things along. That is what I did & it helped me lose more weight before surgery. She is the one to discuss it with! As long as she knows you are really giving it your all, I doubt you will be canceled, but she needs to hear from you! Good luck!

You can really lose a lot over a full month. I waited until 14 days before and it was a BIG struggle. She wanted me to lose 14 lbs and I lost 8, and the last 3 lbs probably came off because I ate only an apple and yogurt the day before weigh-in. I was VERY nervous I wouldn't "make weight."

I wish I had done a full month of eating healthy - it would have been easier. Instead I overate on purpose, counting down to when my diet began! And so I GAINED more weight and thus had to lose a higher percentage. Duh! I almost gave up and rescheduled but I am so happy I stuck with it.

The preop diet can be very frustrating but just count each day you have behind you as in the bag. You just have to stay committed and eat low calorie foods that FILL YOU UP. Think fruits and veggies.

Be sure to follow Dr. Miranda's guidelines. I too had a higher BMI and started my pre-op diet a month before my surgery date. She put me on 1 protein shake in the morning, 1 lean cuisine in the afternoon and 1 lean cuisine in the evening and I was sure to eat lots and lots of green veggies. I lost the "required" 20 pounds. I was also sure to walk some each day. I don't see your surgery being cancelled if you do not meet the "required" weightloss. But, for those of us with an extremely high BMI the surgery is safer if we do all in our power to meet the set goal. Be sure to communicate with Dr. Miranda if you're not losing. She may have different ideas and suggestions.

Kristy

TRY TRY TRY!!! I just had surgery and lost 12 of the 14 I needed to lose. I was very worried that I would not lose the weight, the last few days before the suregery I walked and walked, I scrubbed my house down I did everything I could think of to keep me moving and not sitting on the couch to lose the last 6 pounds in 7 days. It worked for me. I drank about 6L of water a day and drank lots of tea as well. Just keep moving and the weight will come off.

Remember this is not the last time you will ever get to eat something again, its just the last time you will eat somthing for a few months. Stay focused and you can do it!

Jenelle ;)

TRY TRY TRY!!! I just had surgery and lost 12 of the 14 I needed to lose. I was very worried that I would not lose the weight, the last few days before the suregery I walked and walked, I scrubbed my house down I did everything I could think of to keep me moving and not sitting on the couch to lose the last 6 pounds in 7 days. It worked for me. I drank about 6L of water a day and drank lots of tea as well. Just keep moving and the weight will come off.

Remember this is not the last time you will ever get to eat something again, its just the last time you will eat somthing for a few months. Stay focused and you can do it!

Jenelle ;)

Jenelle, I was wondering how you were doing how did everything work out for you at OCC? How are you feeling?

Because I've got a higher BMI, Dr. Miranda want's me to lose 15-18lbs before the op. For those who are already banded, did you lose the required amount? and if you didn't, what happened? was you surgery postponed?

I know that the whole point of this is to shrink your liver and melt some of the fat around your stomach, but i really don't know if i can lose that amount of weight in a month. i mean, isn't the whole reason i'm getting banded because it's hard for me to do it on my own? between the PCOS and a thyroid problem (not to mention other health issues), it's been really challenging. sorry, don't mean be whiny. i'm just nervous about the surgery and hungry :unsure:

I lost more than was required, but I'm a special case, my liver was still pretty big. To the point that Dr. O sent Gabi out to talk to my mom to see what my weight loss habits were, and to verify that I in fact did lose the weight they required. (i even went so far as to buy a new scale. Started out 325, and was 301 the morning of my surgery, and I only needed to lose 19.

Apparently when you have had a cycle of losing and gaining large amounts of weight, your liver has a harder time recovering. So my liver was still pretty big....but they still managed to "git 'er dun"

Hi Babe ~ we can't tell you what to do but if you are really serious in losing weight, you would follow the guidelines Dr. Miranda has set up for you. Trust me, you won't regret this. You need to put faith in yourself and believe the band will work with you. You are paying good, hard earning money for this surgery. If you are like me and most of the others, I've tried soooo many diet fads and clubs to lose weight and then to gain it all back plus more. It's frustrating and we feel a failure and we feel as though there is nothing out there to help you...but yet, you keep hoping 'something' will. Well, we are here to tell you that "lapband surgery" is it for us. This decision is the BEST thing I have ever done for me and I am doing it the healthier way WITH my band.

So, with this said, FOCUS Babe! YOU CAN DO THIS! Put your mind at rest that you will find yourself eating healthier and changing your lifestyle for life. Be positive and motivate yourself for this amazing adventure you are about to go on!

Dr. Miranda had me on the preop diet #2, which was a protein shake for breakfast and lunch and then do a lean cuisine for dinner with a green salad. I am not a frozen dinner gal, so she said do a big green salad and I added hard boiled eggs, cheese, brocolli, mushrooms, etc, and ate rolled up deli chicken or turkey slices ~ all great source of proteins and fiber. I was to lose 12 lbs in 2 weeks, and I lost 12.5 lbs.

It's easy if you want it bad enough...don't think negative, go forward and do the best you can sweetie! Good Luck!

Hi Babe ~ we can't tell you what to do but if you are really serious in losing weight, you would follow the guidelines Dr. Miranda has set up for you. Trust me, you won't regret this. You need to put faith in yourself and believe the band will work with you. You are paying good, hard earning money for this surgery. If you are like me and most of the others, I've tried soooo many diet fads and clubs to lose weight and then to gain it all back plus more. It's frustrating and we feel a failure and we feel as though there is nothing out there to help you...but yet, you keep hoping 'something' will. Well, we are here to tell you that "lapband surgery" is it for us. This decision is the BEST thing I have ever done for me and I am doing it the healthier way WITH my band.

So, with this said, FOCUS Babe! YOU CAN DO THIS! Put your mind at rest that you will find yourself eating healthier and changing your lifestyle for life. Be positive and motivate yourself for this amazing adventure you are about to go on!

Dr. Miranda had me on the preop diet #2, which was a protein shake for breakfast and lunch and then do a lean cuisine for dinner with a green salad. I am not a frozen dinner gal, so she said do a big green salad and I added hard boiled eggs, cheese, brocolli, mushrooms, etc, and ate rolled up deli chicken or turkey slices ~ all great source of proteins and fiber. I was to lose 12 lbs in 2 weeks, and I lost 12.5 lbs.

It's easy if you want it bad enough...don't think negative, go forward and do the best you can sweetie! Good Luck!

Jazzy, this is exactly what i needed to read today... thank you! i've been starting to get discouraged with the whole pre-op weight loss, and your post has really helped.

Jazzy, this is exactly what i needed to read today... thank you! i've been starting to get discouraged with the whole pre-op weight loss, and your post has really helped.

Looking at your numbers, you've made some good headway with your pre-op weight loss! You're more than a third of the way through. Congrats! You can definitely do it!

Oh, and to expand on what Jude said, when I was on the pre-op, it felt to me like it was a test to see if I had what it takes to be successful with the band. It's more than just weight loss, it's seeing if you are committed to the process and likely to follow the rules and do the work that is necessary, since the band won't do all of it for you.

• 2 months later...
:lb4:

I haven't heard of anyone having the surgery postponed due to not losing the weight, BUT I wouldn't risk it. If you order the Opti-fast and stick strictly to a 14 day liquid diet before your surgery, YOU WILL SUCCEED!!! Trust me, I only had 12 days to lose 12 pounds, and I did it using Optifast liquid diet. Sure it was hard, BUT once those pounds are gone, THEY ARE GONE FOREVER!!! It also gives your body a kick start to getting ready for the band. Yes, I did cheat with a bite here and there, but I didn't let it get me down. I still use Optifast for breakfast or after workout meals. I really like them better than slimfast or other drinks. (I use the pre-made boxed kind because they are all ready for you to drink anywhere anytime, I don't use the powder type) Also, when you get the urge to eat, go for a walk or read a book, call a friend, or just distract yourself with something else.

:lb11:

Sorry don't know if it was asked, But How do the optifast drinks taste? I drink the Atkin drinks - Just wondering if I should buy some opitfast instead

Thanks

shiney