Band pain in morning

I've been noticing the past few days that when I wake up in the morning, the band feels a bit sore. Is this abnormal? I'm about seven weeks post-surgery now, and haven't *felt* the band since my initial healing period, so I'm starting to get a bit concerned about that. It's also harder to drink water again.

Also, I've been poking around and I cannot isolate my port anywhere! I'm going for a 'blind' fill this week to a local dr., and I don't know how he's going to be able to find it if I can't!

Hey Sharon!

If you'd feel better doing it under fluoro, the ladies at North West Fill Managemant are supposed to be good and only charge $250...it's less than a 3-hour drive and right by the Seattle Premium Outlets!!! I'm going Thursday and I'll be sure to report back. As for your morning pain, I don't have pain but, suddenly, I can't eat solids in the morning without it hurting going down so I'm back to shakes in the morning. I figure I have tightened up again because I have gained a few pounds since going back on solids:(

Sabrina:)

I'd definitely be interested to see how your experience is at NW fills management. It'll be interesting to see how it goes with the dr. here. From what I've read on another forum, I might have been mistaken in my assumption that doing the fills under fluoro allows the dr. to see the port before sticking the needle in. I think that they stick the needle in first (meaning they have to feel around for it first), and then the fluoro is used to see how liquid goes down through the band. I could be wrong, so it will help to hear from others what actually happens here.

I too am wondering if my band has tightened, hence the pain/increased sense of restriction. Or if my body or stomach might be inflamed at the moment.

I am post 9 months post op and I still can't have solids in the morning... it's just a fact of my new bandlife now. From what I understand, many people experience the same thing. So I have protien shakes, or yogurt for breakfast. On occasion, I can have a TINY oatmeal or scrambled eggs...but it depends on how I feel. One of the first things I do in the morning is drink water at room temperature. This tells me how I will be able to tolerate the rest of the morning. If it goes down pretty smooth, its a good sign I can have some eggs. If it takes a while, its protien shakes or yogurt.

As for fluoro, it can be used for both - locating the port and viewing the liquid to check restriction. Just depends on the experience of the doctor. I have had two fills with fluoro and one without, my next one will be without. If it is your 1st fill, I would recommend fluoro because they can also check for any problems. As for finding your port, an experienced doctor will find it pretty quickly. You may have to hold your breath, or suck it in for a few moments while lying down so that he/she can get a better feel for it, but they will find it. It is rare that they aren't able to locate it, even if you are not able to do so.

Good "fillings" to you both :-D

I am post 9 months post op and I still can't have solids in the morning... it's just a fact of my new bandlife now. From what I understand, many people experience the same thing. So I have protien shakes, or yogurt for breakfast. On occasion, I can have a TINY oatmeal or scrambled eggs...but it depends on how I feel. One of the first things I do in the morning is drink water at room temperature. This tells me how I will be able to tolerate the rest of the morning. If it goes down pretty smooth, its a good sign I can have some eggs. If it takes a while, its protien shakes or yogurt.

As for fluoro, it can be used for both - locating the port and viewing the liquid to check restriction. Just depends on the experience of the doctor. I have had two fills with fluoro and one without, my next one will be without. If it is your 1st fill, I would recommend fluoro because they can also check for any problems. As for finding your port, an experienced doctor will find it pretty quickly. You may have to hold your breath, or suck it in for a few moments while lying down so that he/she can get a better feel for it, but they will find it. It is rare that they aren't able to locate it, even if you are not able to do so.

Good "fillings" to you both :-D

Julie ~ that is exactly what I do to see if I can eat in the mornings as well. I always have room temp water to 'test' my band first thing and if all goes well, I will do an egg omelet with real bacon bits and cheese and top with homemade salsa or I can have a bowl of cereal. It's all depends on my stress level my job gives me. If it's a no go, same thing, protein shakes and drinkable yogurts for me. I keep a stack of protein shake readily available at work for the same issue.

As for fluoro, I am comfy having my fills done with fluoro only. It's for peace of my mind to assure all is "ok" and I get to see how the flow is going and the band is settled nicely, etc. It's really a personal choice. I just happen to be one of those lucky ones who lives in San Diego and can go to the border in 20 minutes!

Good luck with your fills girls!