That "full" feeling I'm not feeling

Hello all.

I am brand new to this forum and have a couple of questions. First off I was banded Nov 5th, 2008 and since keeping a food journal in June of 08 lost a total of 53 pounds. About half of it has come off since the banding but here are my questions.

Do any of you ever freak out thinking you are eating too much but there hasn't been any "soft stop" signals? I can eat a couple of tacos with a few bites of beans and rice but I always stop when I think I should be full. I know the pouch is supposed to hold about 4-6 ounces of food but how do you know if you are stretching it? I have had 2 fills, 2.5CC the first time then 1 this last time. But I never feel that "full" feeling. Occassionally I will feel like it is higher up in my throat and I stop at that point but normally I just gauge what I have eaten and quit when I am done. For instance I can eat a 1/2 can of green beans and 2 small pieces of fish and I stop. Or I can eat 4 oz of canned chicken with a little bit of shredded cheese sprinkled on top and about the same of cooked cauliflower. I am just paranoid I am eating too much and don't know it.

Only once, YET, have I thrown up. That was because I didn't chew up the burger (no bread) good enough and boy that taught me a hard lesson I will not soon forget! LOL

Anyway the next question is about water. Will drinking your water normally, as opposed to sipping it, stretch out your pouch? I read all the time it says to sip but will someone please explain exactly why? I don't have any feeling of it being more or less constricted with either warm or ice cold fluids. Maybe I am not filled enough yet to be able to differenciate between the two.

Any and/or all help, comments, suggestions are appreciate.

Thanks for having me,

JulieG

Julie,

Dr. Martinez told me last week on the phone that one of the biggest mistakes people make is being TOO cautious with their drinking and taking too small of sips and actually end up swallowing more air and causing gas because of this. He told me our sips should be atleast an ounce to an ounce and a half (a normal drink for me) and it should not take us very long to drink anything. He gave me the example that a 10 oz bottle water should take me 8-10 drinks to finish. He said as soon as I swallow, I should feel it go down my throat and be able to drink again immediately.

I can't help with the other part of your question, sorry!

Dr. Martinez told me last week on the phone that one of the biggest mistakes people make is being TOO cautious with their drinking and taking too small of sips and actually end up swallowing more air and causing gas because of this. He told me our sips should be atleast an ounce to an ounce and a half (a normal drink for me) and it should not take us very long to drink anything. He gave me the example that a 10 oz bottle water should take me 8-10 drinks to finish. He said as soon as I swallow, I should feel it go down my throat and be able to drink again immediately.

Wow, that's really interesting. I have been sipping the heck out of my drinks, I sip on one 16 oz water bottle all day at work. Sometimes, I take too big of a sip and freak out. Fortunately, I haven't had problems with gas.

bump..

Those are two really good questions and someone has got to know. Thanks for asking them.

I accept Christy's answer for the water. I know sometimes I have drank at least four ounces at a time and never felt anything.

Julie,

I can't help with the other part of your question, sorry!

Christy ~ the water drinking is what was explained to me too. Basically DON'T gulp down your liquids so quickly and give it a chance to go to your tummy. "Sipping" merely means, drink at comfort level at a leisure/reasonable time frame. After my 2nd fill, I can still drink my K20 water within 10 minutes in one sitting, not doing anything. There is no restriction on pure liquids unless you have a very tight band, in which you may need to keep an eye on this and report to your doc right away, if you are having adifficult time in swallowing liquids.

As for the food. This is easy for me. I've never had that "full, full" feeling since being banded. Why? Because I've been mentored to eat a certain amount of food and I am very disciplined and strict with myself. I've paid good, hard earning money for this surgery and I was going to succeed at this! I am at that "comfort" level, knowing I had enough food to sustain me until the next meal. Also, at the beginning of being banded, Dr Ortiz says you should eat only 1/3 of what you use to eat. This is a guideline, mind you, and a safe way to get all your nutrients in, eating in moderations. As you get your fills it may be difficult for you to eat the 1/3 portion of what you use to eat. After my 2nd fill, I can no longer eat 1/3 of what I use to eat. So, I upped my protein intake and this helped me to 'kick start' my weight lost again. Currently, I now use the following portion control guideline:

~ 4 oz (1/2 cup) protein (red meat, poultry, fish, eggs, cheese, nuts, etc)

~ 2 oz (1/4 cup) veggie/fruit

~ 2 oz (1/4 cup) grain/starches (beans, rice, potatoes, pasta, etc)

This totals to (1) cup of food, per meal, 3 times a day and up to 1200 calories daily. If you are doing hard core exercises, then I would plan to up my proteins and calories up a bit. There are some days I cannot EAT my proteins, so I have to substitute with drinking a protein shake to keep the balance.

I hope I was able to help...