Not sure if I should have a fill???

Hi all!

I am having ok restriction, I do get full and eat small portions. I can eat anything which isn't always a good thing. I am 6 weeks post op, banded 12/3. Part of me feels with good excercise, I'm just now getting into a good schedule, and keeping to 1/3 or less of what I was eating, and trying to eat healthier, that my weight will come off without having a fill. Or should I keep at the healthy food and excercise for a few weeks and see how I do and then if I'm not doing as good as I think I can, schedule a fill.

Help!!

Hi all!

I am having ok restriction, I do get full and eat small portions. I can eat anything which isn't always a good thing. I am 6 weeks post op, banded 12/3. Part of me feels with good excercise, I'm just now getting into a good schedule, and keeping to 1/3 or less of what I was eating, and trying to eat healthier, that my weight will come off without having a fill. Or should I keep at the healthy food and excercise for a few weeks and see how I do and then if I'm not doing as good as I think I can, schedule a fill.

Help!!

My motto is "if you are using more willpower than bandpower, it's time for a fill"...plain and simple. Getting fills tweaks you to 'fine tune' your choice of good food and eating habits. For me, I don't want a 'ok restriction'...but a good one to really stay on top of the weight loss, progressively.

Good luck on your decision babe!

My motto is "if you are using more willpower than bandpower, it's time for a fill"...plain and simple. Getting fills tweaks you to 'fine tune' your choice of good food and eating habits. For me, I don't want a 'ok restriction'...but a good one to really stay on top of the weight loss, progressively.

Good luck on your decision babe!

Thats good advice Jude... I think that will power can only go so far in the beginning... As a month goes by and no weightloss occurs, we kick ourselves for not getting a fill earlier. I'm scheduling my 4th fill for next week, I wasn't going to because over the holidays I couldnt eat more than 1/4 oz of food at one time. I think it was because of stress or just because I was just constantly on the go and it was COLD outside. The weather seems to be getting warmer and my band seems to be getting looser. Right now I am using more willpower than band power and it's getting harder and harder to do... especially because I feel like I am getting into my old habit of "well been doing really well for a while now, I deserve some junk food or slack time". BUT that's what got me here in the first place, so 4th fill here I come.

~Julie

Hi all!

Help!!

THIS SOUNDS PERFECT TO ME WHAT YOUR DOING NOW. I DON'T KEEP MY BAND TIGHT. IT'S ABOUT LEARNING HOW TO EAT HEALTHIER AND IN MODERATION.

SEE HOW THIS GOES FOR A FEW WEEKS, IT'S NOT A HORSE RACE

SOME USE THIS TOOL AS A "SURGERY INDUCED BULIMIA" AS I CALL IT. SLOW AND EASY WINS THE RACE, LEARNING ALONG THE WAY :)

Agree with Jude, if you are using more willpower than bandpower than you should get a fill. After my 1st fill, I still wasn't eating much, but I could eat anything. Now after my 2nd, I can't eat bread which is my weakness and i'm really glad I can't now. I did PB once, but after that I won't even try bread. That was enough for me!

I completely agree that we need to be eating right and making good habits, but if it were that easy I wouldn't need the band.

I found this posting from lastyear. I saved it on my file that I like to keep postings, kind of like a journal. Many of you may not need this reminder but it comes in handy as a quick reminder....

Lap Band - Have You Wondered What Happens AFTER Lap Band Surgery?

By Helen Hecker

If you're thinking about or seriously considering lap band surgery, you may want to know what the routine will be like after the surgery. Often just knowing this to begin with will help you make a decision as to whether you want to go ahead with the lap band weight loss surgery or not. Of course you will want to find out the cost of lap band surgery also.

These are the usual recommendations that bariatric surgeons or lap band doctors suggest for lap band surgery patients; these also apply to all gastric banding patients:

Only eat 4 ounces of food at a time. And if you still feel full after 30 minutes, you may need an adjustment to your lap band. Leftovers should not be eaten - they are often hard to swallow. Reheating any leftovers can dry them out so they can get stuck easier. Don't eat any well done steak or any type of doughy bread.

If you haven't lost any weight in the last month - yes this happens - then are you eating too much food? If this is so, then you may need an adjustment. The esophagus doesn't really come alive until noon or so. If you somehow can't tolerate a solid breakfast, then fix a healthy all-fruit smoothie. You can make this with bananas and a combination of fresh and frozen fruits.

The adjustment of the band depends on how you feel at night. If you're starving at night, then you may need an adjustment to your lap band. If you find you're vomiting a lot then you need to decide whether you're eating too much food, eating too fast, not waiting between bites or taking big bites, or not chewing your food thoroughly.

No one should eat if they are upset or anxious, even more important for lap band procedure patients. Stress in the esophagus makes swallowing difficult. Now if you find you haven't been able to eat a certain food the last three times or so that you tried, then you probably still won't be able to eat the food tomorrow either.

Microwaved food can become very "rubbery" and difficult to swallow. Microwaved food is missing many nutrients also. So it's best not to eat any microwaved food.

It's important to understand that you can't eat like you did before you had the lap band system surgery. And it's very important to exercise even if you have the lap band.

This may seem unusual but it is highly recommended that lap band or gastric banding patients take up a new interest or hobby. A hobby not related to food is best. This will keep you focused on something else other than food. If you can - start a new hobby that is physical like power walking, playing tennis, playing golf, yoga, hiking, joining a health club, dancing, square dancing, playing basketball, etc. Anything that will keep you up and moving and away from sedentary activities like TV, cards, bridge, computer games, etc. Get outside and get charged up by the energy in the air and sun.

I found this posting from lastyear. I saved it on my file that I like to keep postings, kind of like a journal. Many of you may not need this reminder but it comes in handy as a quick reminder....

Lap Band - Have You Wondered What Happens AFTER Lap Band Surgery?

By Helen Hecker

If you're thinking about or seriously considering lap band surgery, you may want to know what the routine will be like after the surgery. Often just knowing this to begin with will help you make a decision as to whether you want to go ahead with the lap band weight loss surgery or not. Of course you will want to find out the cost of lap band surgery also.

These are the usual recommendations that bariatric surgeons or lap band doctors suggest for lap band surgery patients; these also apply to all gastric banding patients:

Only eat 4 ounces of food at a time. And if you still feel full after 30 minutes, you may need an adjustment to your lap band. Leftovers should not be eaten - they are often hard to swallow. Reheating any leftovers can dry them out so they can get stuck easier. Don't eat any well done steak or any type of doughy bread.

If you haven't lost any weight in the last month - yes this happens - then are you eating too much food? If this is so, then you may need an adjustment. The esophagus doesn't really come alive until noon or so. If you somehow can't tolerate a solid breakfast, then fix a healthy all-fruit smoothie. You can make this with bananas and a combination of fresh and frozen fruits.

The adjustment of the band depends on how you feel at night. If you're starving at night, then you may need an adjustment to your lap band. If you find you're vomiting a lot then you need to decide whether you're eating too much food, eating too fast, not waiting between bites or taking big bites, or not chewing your food thoroughly.

No one should eat if they are upset or anxious, even more important for lap band procedure patients. Stress in the esophagus makes swallowing difficult. Now if you find you haven't been able to eat a certain food the last three times or so that you tried, then you probably still won't be able to eat the food tomorrow either.

Microwaved food can become very "rubbery" and difficult to swallow. Microwaved food is missing many nutrients also. So it's best not to eat any microwaved food.

It's important to understand that you can't eat like you did before you had the lap band system surgery. And it's very important to exercise even if you have the lap band.

This may seem unusual but it is highly recommended that lap band or gastric banding patients take up a new interest or hobby. A hobby not related to food is best. This will keep you focused on something else other than food. If you can - start a new hobby that is physical like power walking, playing tennis, playing golf, yoga, hiking, joining a health club, dancing, square dancing, playing basketball, etc. Anything that will keep you up and moving and away from sedentary activities like TV, cards, bridge, computer games, etc. Get outside and get charged up by the energy in the air and sun.

EXCELLENT Post!!! Thanks for sharing this "Cool"!

I have the same question and was going to post, but you already laid the groundwork.

Basically I have lost about 10 pounds since being banded. I had a really rough time at the beginning, but my discomfort was more about the band itself (i.e. post-surgical and gas pain) and less about restriction. Right now I definitely can't eat the way I used to (i.e. I ate a carrot too fast yesterday and thought I might actually die- but it must have passed through because about 15 minutes later I felt fine).

Now I'm not sure if I should get a fill. I want to keep losing (I've sort of plateaued even though I'm staying within the 1000-1200cal range) but I don't want the pain or discomfort that I had the first 2 weeks. I just want to feel full. Also I find myself "cheating" with "mushies" and liquids because I am afraid of the PB thing. I'm afraid this will get worse and my whole diet will be protein shots and muscle milk!

It seems like most people are for getting a fill, but I'm nervous. Let me know what you think (please)!

I have the same question and was going to post, but you already laid the groundwork.

Basically I have lost about 10 pounds since being banded. I had a really rough time at the beginning, but my discomfort was more about the band itself (i.e. post-surgical and gas pain) and less about restriction. Right now I definitely can't eat the way I used to (i.e. I ate a carrot too fast yesterday and thought I might actually die- but it must have passed through because about 15 minutes later I felt fine).

Now I'm not sure if I should get a fill. I want to keep losing (I've sort of plateaued even though I'm staying within the 1000-1200cal range) but I don't want the pain or discomfort that I had the first 2 weeks. I just want to feel full. Also I find myself "cheating" with "mushies" and liquids because I am afraid of the PB thing. I'm afraid this will get worse and my whole diet will be protein shots and muscle milk!

It seems like most people are for getting a fill, but I'm nervous. Let me know what you think (please)!

IF YOUR EATING AROUND THE BAND NOW, WHAT'S A FILL GOING TO DO FOR YOU? LEARN TO EAT YOUR PROTEIN AND VEGGIES, THEN SEE HOW YOUR DOING

KEEP US UPDATED :)