Very very frustrated

I have been working out for some months now. I have just recently been going regularly as prior to this my schedule was so hectic that I barely had time to sleep or eat let alone work out. I cannot afford a personal trainer so I have been working out on my own but getting no results and I am extremely frustrated. I still look the same, I still have all this fat and flab on my stomach, legs, arms and back. It makes me sick to even look at it epecially knowing that I am going to the gym and doing cardio and weights. I do lower weight high reps which I have been told is perfect for building muscle/burning fat but not getting bulky. I don't know what else to do. I would love to have a personal trainer but I just can't afford it. Any suggestions anyone? :(( I am ready to give up.

I have been working out for some months now. I have just recently been going regularly as prior to this my schedule was so hectic that I barely had time to sleep or eat let alone work out. I cannot afford a personal trainer so I have been working out on my own but getting no results and I am extremely frustrated. I still look the same, I still have all this fat and flab on my stomach, legs, arms and back. It makes me sick to even look at it epecially knowing that I am going to the gym and doing cardio and weights. I do lower weight high reps which I have been told is perfect for building muscle/burning fat but not getting bulky. I don't know what else to do. I would love to have a personal trainer but I just can't afford it. Any suggestions anyone? :(( I am ready to give up.

I HAVE THIS BOOK, IT'S AN INTERESTING TAKE ON CARDIO

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Diet/story?id=3034686

Hi

My bf is a former body builder and I have been working out for years (food is my problem, not exercise) and please please believe me when I say it is IMPOSSIBLE for you to get bulky lifting heavier weights. I have seen what it takes to gain size - you have to life EXTREMELY heavy weights PLUS eat TONS... im talking 5000-7000 calories a day which is mostly protein! And even at that, being a women, it would be difficult for you to get bulky. You would need tons of supplements for muscle growth

I would suggest you going on higher weighs and still higher reps - you can do it. with my trainer, we do 15-30 reps on every exercise and the weights are never light - we usually increase on every set. Be sure you are doing atleast 3 sets on every exercise as well. Usually you will know when you have done your max ability when 10 pounds feels like 100 when you pick up the weight - then you know you have worked out your muscles good.

Good luck!

I would suggest you get the OXYGEN magazines. They aren't as intense as muscle and fitness for HER but they are great and you will see that even these little bitty women who are toned but not bulky, are lifting heavy. I love that magazine. The author of the EAT CLEAN diet is one of the writers.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions/imput. Generally, my routine consists of strength training for about 20-30 minutes. I do arms/back/shoulders on alternating days and legs/butt/abs on the opposite days. I do focus on my problem areas especially in my arms/back/abs/shoulders. What I mean is that I tend to use machines that strengthen certain parts of my arms, back, abs and then my shoulders are a concern for me. I use all nautilus machines, I don't tend to do free weights at the gym because I use exercise TV and do the Jillian Michaels sculpt workout which utilizes free weights. I work out 5 days a week

I do bicepts 10 lbs 10x each 3 reps

tricepts 10 lbs 10x each 3 reps

upright rows 15 lbs 10x each 3 reps

flys/rear delts 30 lbs 10x each 3 reps

chest press 30 lbs 10x each 3 reps

lat pull down 50 lbs 10x each 3 reps

shoulders/delts 10 lbs 10x each 3 reps

there are several other machines I do I can't remember the names of or what exactly they work:

a machine that works your arms/back where you sit facing the machine and you pull towards you.

I do 50 lbs 10x each 3 reps

I do an ab machine where you sit crunched forward and you cross your arms over your chest and push back. It works your back muscles.

I do 70 lbs 10x 3 reps

I do another ab machine where you sit and there are handles you grip, you lean back and you push forward on the handles it works your mid/lower abs

I do 50 lbs 10x 2 reps

and 70 lbs 10x 2 reps

I do another ab machine that works ALL parts of your abs - - especially obliques. You sit on it and there are pads between your knees. You start on one side and push your chest against the chest pad and hold onto the handles, and you begin twisting. The resistance begins and you have to use your stomach to push against resistance to get to the opposite side. Then you switch to the other side

I do (on each side) 50 lbs 20x 3 reps

I also do legs/butt - generally all of the machines in the gym. I don't focus as much on legs and butt because those aren't my huge problem areas

Onto cardio...

I do the ski machine.... you can adjust the incline and the resistance. you kind of swing your legs back and forth. Anyhow, I do that on the 'weight loss' program and it changes the resistance and incline every 3-4 minutes. So its easier and harder every couple of minutes.

I also do the elliptical machine. I do the 'fat burning' program - - once again, it alternates between difficult and easy and I set the level generally to 5 or 6. I always maintain my target heart rate as best as I can.

I do cardio sculpt on exercise TV with the other trainer from biggest loser. Bob something? Anyhow, you use free weights for this and its a cardio program where you do lunges, jumping jacks, push ups, jump rope and utilizing weights with this as well for increased intensity. Its a killer.

I don't know... I guess my workouts aren't enough. :huh::(

this sounds like a great workout plan... have you seen any difference in your fitness level? Have you been able to increase the length of your cardio, number of reps, etc during all this time?

What about your diet? If you're eating too much, you may not be able to get rid of the fat that is covering up your increasingly toned muscles.

you didn't mention it, but have you actually lost weight during this time period?

What about a thyroid or hormonal imbalance? Something has got to be snagging you somewhere...

Hey Amanda -

Yeah I have lost weight since beginning my routine. I have also been able to increase number of reps and the amount of weight for my strength training routine. I began at doing only 1 to 2 reps depending on the machine. I also began with most machines at only 10 lbs of weight. So that has improved pretty drastically.

Also, the other problem is that I don't think I am eating enough. I have periods of time where I am very restricted and find it difficult to eat much of anything other than liquids. Sometimes I am fine and can eat about 1000-1100 cal. per day. Yesterday, for example, I was only able to eat like 3 bites of oatmeal, a protein shake (2 scoops of powder - - 40 g protein/300 calories), half of a small salad, a few tortilla chips and a sugar-free pudding as a snack and 3 bites of a banana. I didn't even come close to 1000 calories and I know this is also having a major impact on my weight loss. I need to start finding ways to get in more calories even if I have to drink more protein shakes or soups, etc.

Again, thanks for the input and advice - - its very helpful.

oh and p.s. I have thyroid problems (hypo) and polycystic ovarian syndrom (PCOS) which is hormonal imbalance causing insulin resistance. SO... Both of those working against me. However, since losing weight have been able to go off of my peds for PCOS and my blood sugar levels are normal.

Eating too little can really hurt you. I went through a stint where I wasn't losing, and after counting my calories I realized that was my problem, so I upped my calories and the weight started coming off. Count those calories and do your best to get them in and see if that helps. You also might just be in one of those ugly plateaus we all love. They say those can last for months.

Good luck!

Hi Carrie!

Do not get discouraged. A couple of things you said in your post you have to focus on!

1) You are still losing weight despite a thyroid condition and PCOS!

2) You are in great cardiovascular shape! The time you have put in has made you a stronger healthier person!

In terms of the body.. One of the things that you should do is take your measurements (waist, thighs, hips, mid arm ect). You might in fact me losing inches in the waist and arms, but becuase you are looking at yourself in a judgmental way every day, you can't see it. I bet that you are!

I also agree with Christy about increasing the amount of weight your training with until you feel "muscle failure".

But most importantly, love the skin your in. It sounds like you are doing awesome things for your health!

good luck! ^_^

Thanks everyone for the support/encouragement. I am def. going to stick with working out and strength training - - I will increase weight and reps and go until I can't go anymore. I will not give up. I KNOW that eventually I will be able to see the difference. One NSV that I will mention - - I am the maid of honor in my BF wedding. I went to get my dress... I was anticipating having to buy a size 16+ because those darn dresses tend to run very small. I got into a 12!!!!!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? I couldn't. I took the dress off to make sure the girl really gave me a size 12. I almost cried. Yay.