Exercise and band restriction

So the truth comes out, I haven't been exercising since being banded. Pre-band I used to run a couple of times a week but after the surgery I just fell off the exercise wagon. I always tell myself that chasing after my 2 little boys is enough but I know that to lose this last 10 pounds I need to get moving. So in the January sales we bought a treadmill and I have started running again. I like to run right before lunch as this inspires me to eat a healthy lunch and not waste the effort but I am noticing that I can hardly eat a bite, my band has closed right up. I pb'd salad the other day and I took very small bites and chewed the heck out of it. Very unusual. I'm wondering if anyone else experiences this, should I have a protein shake for my meal after a workout?

Hi Musiclover ~ wow, you go girl, you will reach your goal in no time. As far as you picking up exercising, I am not experienced enough to tell you nor am I a medical advisor.

IMHO, a couple of items came across my mind:

~ How soon do you eat after you exercise? Sometimes I cannot eat after exercising, especially hard core exercises, as my muscles expand and I need to relax about 30 minutes before I eat. Right after exercising, I drink a protein shake. Since I've been doing this, I noticed I am not drained out and I have a more balance meal. During and after exercising I am also drinking water, gatorade, or juice.

~ If you pb'd on food, the same goes for liquids? If you can't get liquid down smoothly, then call the doctor immediately. If you can, try a protein shake. Also, sometimes I've noticed I, personally, can't have a salad after I eat ~ just my fickle band's reaction to me. So, now I turn to more solid foods or have a chili or thickened soup. It doesn't happen all the time, as my restriction is good right now, so I need to adjust my meal intake accordingly.

All the best to you...

I would suggest protien shake within 30 minutes of your workout. It is highly recommended by trainers to replenish your body and to give nutrients so that the "bad fat" can melt away. If protien shake is not available, the next best thing is 6-8 oz of chocolate milk. It has the best combo of carbs and protien right after a work out. Don't worry about eating solids after a work out. Liquids are best. Wait two or three hours to eat solids and you should feel alright to do so. Room temperature and warm liquids work best for me, I stay away from cold liquids right after a work out.

Sometimes in the evening after a tough earlier workout, I still can't hold solids, so I just listen to my body and stick to the liquids protiens, vitamin supplements, and of course water. It may be the heavier breathing, or the muscles contracting, or just that our bodies don't need that extra solid to digest and liquids is what we crave to get the same nutrients, but easier to digest. Whatever the reason, just listen to your body and don't push yourself too hard. And don't give up on your running, you will feel better for sticking with it. Happy huffing and puffing :D

When I got my fill Saturday, Dr. So reminded me stay away from Salads and Shakes as they both go right through the band. ..also, Dr. Ortiz told me the smae thing before my surgery. I notice on the board that a lot of people use shakes and salads.... am I missing something?

Cindy

For many folks, sometimes if you are too tight then protein shakes is all you can do. It shouldn't be your first choice, but you need to be getting that food in. For me in the mornings right now that and oatmeal are just about my only options. Also, I know for me after a really good workout I can't eat it makes my stomach hurt, but I think if I did a shake it wouldn't irritate my stomach. That is a great suggestion and i'm going to try that.

I would suggest protien shake within 30 minutes of your workout. It is highly recommended by trainers to replenish your body and to give nutrients so that the "bad fat" can melt away. If protien shake is not available, the next best thing is 6-8 oz of chocolate milk. It has the best combo of carbs and protien right after a work out. Don't worry about eating solids after a work out. Liquids are best. Wait two or three hours to eat solids and you should feel alright to do so. Room temperature and warm liquids work best for me, I stay away from cold liquids right after a work out.

Sometimes in the evening after a tough earlier workout, I still can't hold solids, so I just listen to my body and stick to the liquids protiens, vitamin supplements, and of course water. It may be the heavier breathing, or the muscles contracting, or just that our bodies don't need that extra solid to digest and liquids is what we crave to get the same nutrients, but easier to digest. Whatever the reason, just listen to your body and don't push yourself too hard. And don't give up on your running, you will feel better for sticking with it. Happy huffing and puffing :D

Nice post crazycoolbutterfly and informative for me too.