Pain!!!

jinjeet

Hi, everyone! I'm new at this and am wondering if anyone has experienced this and if it's normal? I'm about 10 days out from surgery, drinking creamy soups and "whole liquids." However, if I drink more than 1/2 cup at a time of soup or protein drinks, I get the most excruciating collarbone/shoulder pain that lasts for over an hour. The liquids don't hurt going down and I think I'm okay. However, within about 15 minutes, the pain begins. Now I'm afraid to drink! Any advice from you veterans?

There is a topic, under general topics listed shoulder pain. It sounds like you have the same shoulder pain most of us experience.

I think you will find that thread useful.

Hi

I had the exact thing happen to me after banding.

It lasted for a good few weeks when I was eating solids aswell.

I think it was my soft stop which tells you to literally stop!

I still get it sometimes if I have eaten more than a 1/2 cup of food.

Maybe go back to sip sip sipping over a long period of time.

This is normal so don't worry.

Hi! Thanks so much for the responses. I will check the other posts.

But one more question, NicoleK: Are you still able to eat only 1/2 cup of food at a time? A couple of other posts have said that once we get to solid food, we should be eating 1/2 cup of protein plus 1/4 cup each of fruit/veg and starch. I would be in agony if I ate that amount all at once. A lot of other people seem to suggest that they are able to eat more than 1/2 cup at a time. What's up? Will I continue to experience this limitation? Is this what people refer to as "restriction?" I don't feel the pain/restriction when the food is going down. Only afterward.

Thanks for your advice and wisdom!

Hi Jinjeet

At the moment I am totally unfilled so I have to be careful how much food I ate.

When I was at optimum fill I would say I ate 1/4 cup protein and 1/4 cup veg thats it.

sometimes only one bite of veg.

The protein is the most important, but I did miss the amount of veg I used to eat.

For a snack I'll have a V8 or broccoli soup to get some extra veg.

Its a learning process for everyone. Definately trial and error.

When they put your band in, they filled up your abdominal cavity with C02 gas to give the surgeon room to work. Some of it stays in your system and gas rises, which means it goes up to your shoulder joints and gets stuck, causing the pain. It's a very strange side effect!

There is also a theory that a tightened band puts pressure on a nerve that affects the shoulders, which would explain why the shoulder pain comes after eating. The shoulder pain left a few weeks after surgery but came back again after my first fill.

Roll your shoulders over and over and do lots of shoulder stretches to help break up the gas.

Hi, everyone! I'm new at this and am wondering if anyone has experienced this and if it's normal? I'm about 10 days out from surgery, drinking creamy soups and "whole liquids." However, if I drink more than 1/2 cup at a time of soup or protein drinks, I get the most excruciating collarbone/shoulder pain that lasts for over an hour. The liquids don't hurt going down and I think I'm okay. However, within about 15 minutes, the pain begins. Now I'm afraid to drink! Any advice from you veterans?

hi,

try to be on liquid more nowadays. after 4 weeks you can start taking soft food. if you are having problem while taking liquid then try to take it slowly and time to time in small amount. =D> if it persist then pl. consult to your surgeon.

best of luck