Alone at the OCC...

Well it looks like I'm gonna be alone for my trip to the OCC. My friend that was going with me was just hospitalized with pneumonia and so obviously she won't be able to come with me. And nobody else can come with me at such a late date.. I wasn't worried about the surgery or the trip before, but now I'm scared to death!! I have a really long flight to and from the clinic and that is the part that scares me the most.. I'm afraid that I will be in alot of pain on the plane and have nobody to help me get thru it or complain to.. <_<

Has anybody else gone to the OCC alone??? Any advice??

Thanks everybody!!

I went alone. I didn't have any issues. And, my journey home started at 5:00 am when my alarm went off and it ended at 10:30 pm when I walked in my front door. I also fly in an itty-bitty-teeny-tiny plane for the last leg of my flight. You'll do fine. I suggest that you check your luggage on the flight home. Be sure to have some Gatorade with you.

Kristy

Don't worry, lots and lots of people go alone. Plus, you are bound to meet up with someone else there and will have someone to hang out with. Just make sure to pack as lightly as you can and use something on wheels to make it easier. If I could go with you, I would! But you will be ok, I promise!

I went alone also flying from NY to CA. The only discomfort I had being alone was that my flight landed late around 9pm and I was at the airport waiting for a couple of minutes for the driver. That is it. Otherwise I made friends that morning in the lobby. Dont worry one bit honestly!!!!

Hi MagnoliaGurl! I just wanted to let you know that I went alone and I had the same scary feelings you do right before the surgery. Even as I arrived in the clinic and they did my pre-op labs, she couldn't find a vein on me because I was so scared! But she was so calm and took her time reassuring me that everything was fine. Then Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez came and spoke to me about the procedure and asked if I had any questions, and I felt better. Don't worry it will be alright!!! The trip home was fine, I stuck with warm liquids before the flight and didnt drink anything during the flight, in case I got sick, I didn't want anyone staring. There were no complications and no pain during the trip. I did have my gasX and took my pain reliever just before boarding. And everyone is right, you will meet some very nice people who are at the office getting fills, updates, and procedures. If you scheduled to be picked up and dropped off directly by OCC, you will have a smooth and comfortable ride to and from the offices before and after surgery. They really do take GREAT care of you!!! I hope that this message eases some of your nerves. You can always take a look at my home page and I go into more details of the trip.

:lb4:

Dont Worry!! I was scared to about the plane ride back bt found it more comfortable than I thought. I was with my mom. I really was more uncomfortable about sitting so long than I was about having surgery and sitting so long. Take a book and you'll be fine. I found that if I put a pillow behind my back it pushed my chest and stomach forward which made me feel better.

There are so many people at the clinic to talk too! You wont be bored oe scared. I had about 5 or 6 doctors come and talk to us while we were waiting for my surgery, there is a TV!

I built this surgery up in my mind way to much!!

You go girl!! ;)

Jenelle

Hey there!! Don't be worried at all!! I, too, went alone for my surgery and it went so smoothly. I met some really nice people there and the staff at OCC took excellent care of me. Like some others said, the worst part was flying (as far as pain) especially after surgery, but even that is not too awful. I had really reeeeally long flights as I was coming from Philadelphia and I had extremely long layovers so that was a hassle, but otherwise it was not bad. The flight home will seem like forever, but only cause you'll be slightly uncomfortable. Have no worries - seriously, you will be very well taken care of at the OCC!

Dont worry, I brought my mom, sister and stepdad and I felt bad because everyone else was there alone but all talking to one another. Part of me wanted my family to leave early so I can join the group. Once your there you will feel more at ease. After surgery all of us were walking around and chatting with eachother so once your at OCC you definitly wont feel alone. Also on the shuttle back to the hotel/border/airport there was about 5 of us on it so you wont be alone for that part either, most likely.

I totally agree with everyone else. Find out who else will be banded the same time as you. Contact them through this forum and you will have someone to hang with at the hotel. After I scheduled my first fill and I knew I would be flying there by myself, I went on the forum and looked for someone who would be there too. That's how I met Nicole. It was nice to have someone to walk to the mall with, to chat with about the band, and to eat with at the hotel restuarant.

Don't be afraid of the surgery. It was a piece of cake. The pre-surgery stuff and the surgery happens so fast that you will never miss having anyone at the OCC. I was so sleepy from the anesthesia I just wanted my husband to leave so I could sleep. When I woke up the next morning, I got dressed, put on my make-up, and it was time to go to the hotel. You will be fine. Everyone at the OCC takes excellent care of the patients and the staff at the Lucerna is top-notch!

GOOD LUCK!

Thank you all so much for your words of encouragement!!! Honestly, I am not really worried about the surgery at all. I just hate flying so badly and I didn't want to fly by myself!! :((

I have psyched myself up so much for this surgery and now I'm in a panic that I'm going to forget something or overpack or something crazy!! Anyway, thank you all again and I can't wait to post my surgery experience while I'm still at the OCC and under the influence of heavy pain meds!! Good Times!!! :D

Thank you all so much for your words of encouragement!!! Honestly, I am not really worried about the surgery at all. I just hate flying so badly and I didn't want to fly by myself!! :((

I have psyched myself up so much for this surgery and now I'm in a panic that I'm going to forget something or overpack or something crazy!! Anyway, thank you all again and I can't wait to post my surgery experience while I'm still at the OCC and under the influence of heavy pain meds!! Good Times!!! :D

When is your surgery date?

Trust me, you will overpack! :) But try to keep it as small as possible. As everyone said, you will be just fine alone. The hotel has all the usual stuff, hairdryer, shampoo, etc....and also take as few clothes as possible. There is a thread on here somewhere that has suggestions on what to take, so look for that.

Good luck!

I met my buddy who had the surgery when I did on this forum. Now she is one of my best friends. I went alone, she went with a friend. It was good to have made a friend beforehand. She's gone through everything with me... We met up in Vegas to celebrate our bandiversary. Two very different looking people showed up to Vegas for that party, than the girls who showed up in MX. You'll be fine by yourself. I suggest you find someone who else who is going to be there. It will be helpful! Good luck!

I was alone also. Everyone is very friendly as you can see by all of the comments. I was lucky. I never had the gas pains or anything. My flight coming home was fine. I never felt any discomfort at all, and that included having to almost run to one of my gates. Congratulations and chin up. :rolleyes:

As per Shelby, you'll over pack: Confirmed.

I'd opt for apple juice over gatoraide. (the stuff at the convenience store across the street from the hotel is carbonated in the 2L bottles, stay away from it, but it is REALLY good.,....so get some the day before to enjoy...)...

Also, you may get lucky like me. I woke up and no longer craved caffeine.

Never be afraid to call the front desk and ask 'em for ice and water. They've got a nice filtration system and I had no issues. (can't comment on the tap water in the rooms, but it's okay to brush your teeth with)

Oh yeah, I know I'm gonna overpack!! I am a chronic overpacker.... I can't help myself..

Smiles, my surgery date is January 29th. I have met one other person on here that is having surgery the same day and we have been emailing back and forth so at least I will know one person there!!

Good to hear... I found someone who is having surgery the day after me....Only a few days to go for you. Good Luck!!!