Airline Seats

So.. I know this may be something silly to think about, but after hearing how some airlines do not like " bigger " people. When flying did anyone get commented on their size? Or were told they needed to purchase another ticket? Or the belt not fit and the staff were rude?

I think that is what worries me the most.. I know weird!

i've flown quite a bit over the years, and the rudest remark i've gotten from airline staff was when i checked in once and asked for an aisle seat or an upgrade to business class because of my size. the attendant told me (and i'm paraphrasing here) "maybe you shouldn't fly till you've been to the gym". suffice it to say, i was livid and asked to speak to her supervisor immediately. i managed to get myself a free upgrade to business class and use of the fancy executive lounge.

other than that, the rude comments and attitude were mostly from fellow passengers who did not like being inconvenienced by a fat chick sitting next to them.

i'm looking forward to my flight home from Mexico cause it will be the last time i'll ever have to ask for a seatbelt extension!!!

i've flown quite a bit over the years, and the rudest remark i've gotten from airline staff was when i checked in once and asked for an aisle seat or an upgrade to business class because of my size. the attendant told me (and i'm paraphrasing here) "maybe you shouldn't fly till you've been to the gym".

OMG that is so rude!!!!!!!!

I've flown several times a year for the last 10 years at anywhere from a size 18 to 24. Luckily I have never needed a seatbelt extender or had anyone be rude to me. I generally fly with companies that allow you to select your seat on line and I always select an ailse seat and try to find something with no one sitting in the window and hope for the best.

One thing I will say is that the flight home from Mexico was pretty uncomfortable because I was really swollen and not willing to ask for a seatbelt extension cause I had never needed one in the past. At least I lucked out and ended up in a seat on my own.

My dad is big....both tall and wide :) And when he and my mom travel they usually buy three seats instead of two. Would you believe they have had airline employees be rude when he wouldn't give up a seat becuase they had overbooked the flight?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I never had any remarks like that. I would have to slap the S$%! out of someone! lol

I also had to use the extension. I can't wait to fly this next time because I know I won't

have to have one! :)

I bought my own seatbelt extension on ebay for about $15. Just didn't want to have to ask for one. There are 2 main types. One that works on Southwest, and one that works on about everybody elses. Don't have to use it any more and even have to tighten the belt a little. In case you are wondering about airline seat sizes, go to seatguru.com and they have all of the airlines and planes that they have with the seat sizes listed for each plane. It also has which seats are the best and worst on each plane. Also, if you need first class which is always wider than coach, wait until the day of the flight and pay for the upgrade to first, since it is cheaper then, and first class is almost never sold out, but you will have to get there early.

Babe - I do not know, what I would have done to that person :ph34r:

My weight is distributed all over the place, so I never had to ask for the seatbelt extension, but was always annoyed by those little trays you pull down.

Sometimes they just plain layed on my thighs and I had to watch that my stuff did not slide back and forth ...

and sometimes I've been lucky enough that there was a little space in between :lb12:

Nowadays I even cross my legs and still sit comfortable LIFE IS GREAT ;)

Silverstarz, I think most us had that very same worry as we flew out for surgery that day. I for one, can completely understand how you feel. I had not even thought about that, until the day before surgery and remembered reading about an airline making "customers of size or with special needs" was asked to get off the plane due to not able to sit on the plane without an extension and no other seats were available. I can't recall the entire story, but I got nervous and began to think about it before boarding the plane. I was flying Continental and requested an aisle seat with no one in the middle. I called to confirm the night before, and it worked out. I didn't have to request an extension and the belt just barely snapped, so all is well that ends well. Here are the links to a couple of common airlines for more info. You can find individual airline info if you go to the website and click on "guidelines, or rules, or special needs" links. As you notice, SW offers an additional seat purchase at a child rate, if needed, and they will even give you a full refund of the extra seat, if the flight is not overbooked. Hope it works out for you too.

Southwest Airlines

Continental Airlines

i've flown quite a bit over the years, and the rudest remark i've gotten from airline staff was when i checked in once and asked for an aisle seat or an upgrade to business class because of my size. the attendant told me (and i'm paraphrasing here) "maybe you shouldn't fly till you've been to the gym".

Let me guess: Air Canada? They have the terrible customer service.

I don't know your body shape but if you only need to lose 135lbs, you should be fine in an airline seat. Maybe a belt extension but you shouldn't need an extra seat. I was 300lbs and never needed an extension and Nicole was 250+ . Now the look on the guy's face that got the middle seat between us... Priceless!

Thank you for all the support and advice.

I currently am 264lbs and hoping to be in the 250's at surgery.

I am sure I will be ok, just something I will be happy not to have to deal with ever again!!

It's just like you walk into a restaurant and you wonder... Can I fit in the booth, will the chair hold me??

The day to day issues that we deal with and I am SOO happy that soon I will no longer have to deal with them.

Thank you for all the support and advice.

I currently am 264lbs and hoping to be in the 250's at surgery.

I am sure I will be ok, just something I will be happy not to have to deal with ever again!!

It's just like you walk into a restaurant and you wonder... Can I fit in the booth, will the chair hold me??

The day to day issues that we deal with and I am SOO happy that soon I will no longer have to deal with them.

I was about your weight when I flew in for my surgery. All went well, even with a hottie sitting next to me and my thighs spilling slightly into his space. Uggh. It was a long flight <_<

My experience flying has always been pretty pleasant. But, I'm sure people hate sitting by me. I paid good money for my seat... so I just let them deal with their own emotions. I did purchase a seat belt extender about a year ago. I don't necessarily "need it" but it is easier for me to use it than to wrestle with getting the seatbelt latched or having to ask for an extender once I was seated. I'll most likely sell mine on eBay in the next couple of months since I won't be needing it anymore.

Kristy