Pain in side while working out

Hey everyone

So I went to the gym tonight, jumped on the elliptical machine, cranked the incline all the way up and put the resistance on 5 and I was going at it.... after about 10 mins, my side (where my port is) starts hurting. So I got off and waited a few mins and got on the treadmill. I was walking at 4.0mph and an incline of 4 and my left shoulder started hurting - i tried to do some shoulder rolls and ease it up - it didnt work so I decreased the speed to 3.8 and the pain eased a little bit but the pain in my side was there again - it was not a bad pain just uncomfortable - I think it had to do with my breathing hard...

Anyone know whats going on? I am scheduled to resume training with my trainer next week and he is going to kick my butt 100x harder than the little cardio i was doing tonight - i dont want to waste sessions with him if its going to be a while before I can really do hard exercises... Dr. Miranda told me at 21 days post op I was free to exercise as hard as I wanted as long as I didnt do major core exercises - she even allowed crunches.

I am over a month post op now...

Did this happen to anyone else? before surgery, when I was winded during working out, my side always hurt - usually during running because I am NOT a runner... so I dont know if I am being paranoid or not.

Hi Christy, I have also started working out harder, going on the treadmill, elliptical machine and stationary bike, but I haven't felt any pain or an uncomfortable feeling. Sorry to hear that you are :( Hopefully it's nothing serious, and maybe just from you breathing harder. Sorry, I was no help..lol. Take care!

I had soreness for quite some time. Just stop when you are feeling discomfort and you will be fine. I was doing some raking of my yard about a month or so out and it started to hurt so I quit. Don't push yourself - just go until you are feeling uncomfortable and stop

I had soreness for quite some time. Just stop when you are feeling discomfort and you will be fine. I was doing some raking of my yard about a month or so out and it started to hurt so I quit. Don't push yourself - just go until you are feeling uncomfortable and stop

This is what I do too. Although I didn't do strengeous exercises until after 3 months, as I was told your muslces are still in the healing stage. I didn't want to push it...so I just did a lot walking and very light aerobics during my first 3 months. After that, man I was ready and raring to go! I haven't felt uncomfortable as of yet. Good luck!

Hi, Christy,

I had surgery the beginning of Jan.09 and got different info. about when full-blown exercise is okay. From OCC, I heard that after the 3 week liquid phase, all exercise can be resumed--except abdomen exercises. But I also heard that for 3 MONTHS, we should avoid strenuous exercise until we are fully healed. I wasn't sure which advice to follow.

Last week I used the elliptical trainer and felt fine until I drank a protein shake afterward. I was in agony all night with shoulder pain/pain around my port and have been limiting myself to mostly liquids ever since. I'm going to use my body as my guide and err on the side of safety and healing: no strenuous exercise until 3 months after my surgery date.

But you are not alone!! Hang in there!

I am not sure about the shoulder pain, but I have definitely experienced the pain around the port area and on the side. We finally decided that my pain is because of scar tissue. We know I have it because the PA that does my fills usually ends up bending the needle trying to get it thru the scar tissue. I had surgery 2/29/09, but this pain started giving me problems back in Oct., about 9 months after my surgery.

It was during the process of trying to figure out the cause for the pain that we discovered that my gallbladder was only working at 2%, but in the end the gallbladder isn't the cause of the pain as the pain is only associated with movement and is worse if I workout later in the day as opposed to in the morning. Driving my car almost did me in one morning as I drive a standard and have to use my left leg for the clutch - I considered getting an automatic car that day.

Exercise is definitely important, but take it at a pace that you can do comfortably right now - slow and steady wins the race. You might want to consider postponing the start of your personal training sessions for another month or so. Besides, it is good to change up your exercise and that would definitely give you a change down the road.

Let us know what happens.

Thanks for all the advice, I am post poning my training for awhile until i get more used to exercise. My friend wants me to start spin class with her - I have only done one in my life - and my butt was so sore from that seat that I swore I would never do it again lol I might try that next week with her.

thanks again:)