eating to soon after banding

Follow the Dr.'s orders. If they told you to eat mushy steak, then my all means, eat it. It they told you not to eat anything that you had to chew, then there is a reason. With Dr. Ortiz's diet, there is no mushy stage, just 21 days of liquids after being banded, followed by small balanced meals. I have read that some Dr.s have different diets, but Dr. Ortiz's diet has worked very well for me and I can only recommend that it be followed. Most people on this board have been banded my Dr. Ortiz and probably will tell you the same.

I answered on your other thread, but I will copy and paste here:

Where did you have your surgery done? OCC patients are on a 21-day post-op liquid diet. What's done is done in regards to your eating steak; however, you need to really recommit yourself to the process... totally and completely. Eating can cause bigger problems like a slipped band, stretched pouch, etc. If you are able to drink liquids now, you are probably fine but my doctor said that ignoring the guidelines can manifest problems that may not show up until 6 months down the road. This early in your journey... you need to follow the directions of your doctor. OCC patients are not even allowed "mushy foods" during this time.

Kristy

I was banded in Memphis, TN, on Feb, 6 2009. I was to be on liquids for a week then three weeks of mushy and by the fifth week whatever i could tolerate, valentines dinner was steak and i only had a few peices which "was a ribeye so very tender" and i chewed till my jaw hurt but i didnt have any problems but will not do it again just because of the guilt i feel.....

Be careful not to justify eating the steak because it was tender. Pick yourself up and move forward, but justifying it will only lead to you doing it again. And, just because something did not happen this time does not mean it will not happen next time. I just remember what Dr. Ortiz said, "Not following directions now may not show until six months down the road."

Kristy

I agree with everyone on here...don't do it and when I wanted to do it (we were ALL TEMPTED) I would ask myself... "I know that looks good, but does it look $8000 good?" That helped put things in perspective for me. Good Luck!

Hello I was just curious as to why or what would happen if you eat say a steak two weeks after surgery I know they say to eat mushy foods but a steak chewed almost to nothing would be mushy rite? please give me your feedback as I, feel I have sinned....... :huh:

The object is not to stretch your pouch while it heals. I personally thought that steak was hard to swallow let alone digest! To this day I have not lost as much as I did through the first 21-28 days! But I followed the Dr's orders to a 't' and then some! If you did it once I am sure it wont hurt you...if you haven't done it yet...don't...and keep up the good work...trust me it pays off!