Lap Band= Plastic Surgery?

Hi everyone! I am thinking about having the Lap band done, but am very concerned that I will need future plastic surgery. I weigh 235lb and am 5'7" and I don't feel that it isn't something that will hang around if I exercise a little bit. I am a little scared about the whole surgery thing. I have read so many great things in here and so many great outcomes, but how am I to know if it will work? How fast does it work? How often do you have to have a fill? So many questions! I am so sorry! Please help!

Your questions are hard to answer since we are all so different...You can see my stats below how long it has taken me. I had my first fill saturday the 7th. I am 5'4...I wont need plastic surgery after BUT I had a tummy tuck and reduction 6 or 7 years ago so that helps...but my boobs are shrinking boooooo so Ill probably get implants next year.

Keep reading the posts on here you will learn a lot - I think I went through everything on here before I had mine done ;)

best decision I have ever made!

I know people who lost the weight and didn't need plastic surgery. Many are on this board.

I did, but it was very obvious before I even lost the weight, I had an apron. Now is when you really need to focus on reaching your weight loss goals, with exercise and healthy living with your band.

You’ll most likely know if it’s something you may need and then its time to schedule an appointment with a PS if you feel it’s an option for you. Remember this is just personal preference, it’s not a "must have" for most of us. (For some it is - with great weight loss if it is affecting their life, due to apron’s or back pain from heavy hanging skin).

Good luck!

Your skin gets stretched out when you gain weight. Many times if you lose a significant amount of weight, your skin will become loose and saggy. It doesn't matter how you lose the weight; it does matter how elastic your skin is, how old you are, and how much weight you lose. I'm down over 100 lb from my highest weight; I look okay in clothes, but I am self conscious about my arms and legs in shorts, tee shirts, and swimsuits. If I had lost the weight from dieting I would be in the same position.

You will look better after losing weight, and you will be healthier after losing weight, so I don't think it is really worthwhile to worry about whether you will "need" plastic surgery. Most times it isn't that we need the surgery, but that we feel we would look better if we had it. However, I know I look a lot better 100 lb thinner, surgery or not.

Speed of weight loss, amount of weight loss, and need for fills are all highly individualized. I have only needed two fills total; my husband, banded the same day, has had five. We have each lost about the same amount of weight. Again, fills and the speed you lose are not the main things to be concerned about, in

I am 5'7" and started at 225. I have been losing slower and I am hoping that will help with the final results but I agree it is a completely personal decision.

How "fast" lapband surgery works for you is an individual thing based on your personal lapband management style. Also, your age, your activity level, your personal goals. Getting over anxious for quick results can be frustrating, some people lose faster than others.

Good luck. Keep reading. There is good information here from people who are living the lapband lifestyle.

Dawn

Hi everyone! I am thinking about having the Lap band done, but am very concerned that I will need future plastic surgery. I weigh 235lb and am 5'7" and I don't feel that it isn't something that will hang around if I exercise a little bit. I am a little scared about the whole surgery thing. I have read so many great things in here and so many great outcomes, but how am I to know if it will work? How fast does it work? How often do you have to have a fill? So many questions! I am so sorry! Please help!

Whether or not you'll require plastic surgery to regain a svelte appearance, will depend on several factors. Your age, how much elasticity your skin has retained, and how distended your skin is from weight gain.

The lapband thing...piece of cake.

Body lift...I dunno about that one, Dolittle will be the one to talk to about that.