A mom with questions!

TGsMom

Im really hoping that there are some moms out there that can answer some questions for me! My daughter is 15 and scheduled for surgery at OCC in 2 weeks. I have been 100% supportive, but I do have my fears and concerns. We are just a few days away from starting the pre-op diet (12 day)...was that a painful experience? I can imagine my daughter being miserable and starving and wanting to cheat. She insists she will be fine, but I have some doubts! Same with the post-op diet....will she be miserably hungry?

Her friend (thin!) keeps telling her that she will be on the worst kind of diet ever because she will be hungry for the rest of her life and unable to eat. Reason tells me that this is untrue, but I guess I need some reassurance.

Did you feel safe with your daughter in Tijuana? Everyone keeps telling me that its very dangerous (and its just the 2 of us travelling).

How long was it from the time they take them away to surgery to the time that you were reassured that surgery went fine? I dont know how long I will be able to sit still and keep my composure while she is gone.

Is your teenager able to be in social situations (post-op) that involve food without feeling "weird" (ie, Starbucks or pizza outings)? How do they handle these situations? I dont want her to end up feeling like she cant be around her friends if there is food involved or that she is different.

When you have a teeanager that has had this procedure done in Mexico, how did the family doctor react back at home? I havent told her family doctor, but Im sure that the next time she has to go in I will have to explain that she has a lapband. I have these horrible fears of a screaming tirade and questions about my ability to make these decisions for my daughter. It wouldnt stop me from supporting her, but it would be incredibly uncomfortable. Thin people just dont understand and many are quick to make harsh judgements!

I was an overweight teenager (and still am, but can only afford one surgery for now! And this is more important to her than my own vanity is to me). I understand how difficult it is to be a teen battling a weight issue. My thought process for supporting her is simply...medicine has come too far for her to suffer unneccessarily. If there is a medical way to give her a healthier and happier life than I will do whatever I need to do to see it happen. My heart literally breaks everytime she cries when shopping for clothes or cries over something some ignorant person has said to her. She floored me when she asked for this surgery for Christmas.....it was the last thing I expected to hear from her. So no matter what I WILL be supportive!

Thanks in advance for answering my questions. I know its a lot (and I have more!). Please add anything else that you think might be helpful to me as I see my daughter through this exciting time (in her opinion!)

okay - I am a mom but do not have kids who have had the surgery (my oldest is 4 years younger than yours). BUT if they were over weight - I would do this surgery in a heartbeat for them - at the OCC. You are doing a great thing! Wow - it would have been amazing to have this surgery 15 years ago when I was 15!

Pre-op - I am lower BMI so I had two shakes and a small meal for 7 days only. I didnt find it that hard - but it was because I was so excited to have the surgery I really didnt care.

Post-op 21 - Everyone is different. I was okay (but sick and tired of broth). Around day 19 I was really hungry. I admit a few times I resorted to chewing and spitting - the only way I would have made it through. I am actually finding the liquids phase after the fills much much more difficult

Her thin friend doesnt know what she is talking about. She is young immature and knows nothing about the surgery. I feel more satisfied in my stomach now than I ever have my entire life -because now I actually feel satisfied. Before I was ALWAYS hungry. Now - its just learning not to eat just because my head tells me to...because 95% of the time I am NOT hungry. I also stop often to see if I am still hungry when I am eating - because I would keep going even though Im not hungry. I am slowly learning to stop for a few minutes and wait to see if I am full or not.

Tijuana: I would not take my 11 year old there. Simply because she would be bored. If she were 15 I would. I go there with a girlfriend. We even go out. Yes - I know some think we are crazy. But we do....and we stay out late. I feel safe though. Honestly - its like any other city. I hear about cities here (and they are smaller than a lot in the states that have stuff going on), I live in Canada where I think it is safe. But have had 22 murders in one city near me and something like 17 in the next nearest....this year. So - really, if you stay in the better parts - I feel you will be fine and I wouldnt worry about.

My friend was soooooooooooo worried about me while I was in surgery. She said in about 45 minutes from the time I went in they came out and told her all was good. My daughter had a surgery last year and I was FREAKING OUT! All you can do is sit and worry lol - I know from experience...and you will cry. But I assure you - it is well worth it! You are doing an amazing thing letting her have this surgery!

Social Situations - I am in my 30's...I admit, only being 2 months post op - I do have a bit of a hard time going out. I try to avoid it....but I am slowly getting better with it because I am learning what I can and cant do. She will learn and in no time be back to normal. She will learn that she can do what she did before, just have to eat slower, smaller bites and portions. They are so smart at 15 its ridiculous - she will probably have an easier time than us older banders. We have twice as long as her eating horribly and learning a new way of life - I am stuck in my ways lol... I find my kids are much better at adapting.

As for your doctor. I highly recommend talking to your doctore BEFORE she goes in. I was worried too and was surprised by how supportive she was. Even if the doctor isnt - at least they know about it and you will know what treatment they can provide. Do not go without having after care arranged. I dont know if u plan on going back to the occ - if so YAY, if not...arrange it BEFORE you go!!!!

Any other questions?

Hope I helped a little! You are an amazing mom for allowing her to do this so young so she can live her life to the fullest and not hide behind her being overweight. So many kids (including me) miss out on a lot of life experiences - and u - u are allowing her to live!

Im really hoping that there are some moms out there that can answer some questions for me! My daughter is 15 and scheduled for surgery at OCC in 2 weeks. I have been 100% supportive, but I do have my fears and concerns. We are just a few days away from starting the pre-op diet (12 day)...was that a painful experience? I can imagine my daughter being miserable and starving and wanting to cheat. She insists she will be fine, but I have some doubts! Same with the post-op diet....will she be miserably hungry?

Her friend (thin!) keeps telling her that she will be on the worst kind of diet ever because she will be hungry for the rest of her life and unable to eat. Reason tells me that this is untrue, but I guess I need some reassurance.

Did you feel safe with your daughter in Tijuana? Everyone keeps telling me that its very dangerous (and its just the 2 of us travelling).

How long was it from the time they take them away to surgery to the time that you were reassured that surgery went fine? I dont know how long I will be able to sit still and keep my composure while she is gone.

Is your teenager able to be in social situations (post-op) that involve food without feeling "weird" (ie, Starbucks or pizza outings)? How do they handle these situations? I dont want her to end up feeling like she cant be around her friends if there is food involved or that she is different.

When you have a teeanager that has had this procedure done in Mexico, how did the family doctor react back at home? I havent told her family doctor, but Im sure that the next time she has to go in I will have to explain that she has a lapband. I have these horrible fears of a screaming tirade and questions about my ability to make these decisions for my daughter. It wouldnt stop me from supporting her, but it would be incredibly uncomfortable. Thin people just dont understand and many are quick to make harsh judgements!

I was an overweight teenager (and still am, but can only afford one surgery for now! And this is more important to her than my own vanity is to me). I understand how difficult it is to be a teen battling a weight issue. My thought process for supporting her is simply...medicine has come too far for her to suffer unneccessarily. If there is a medical way to give her a healthier and happier life than I will do whatever I need to do to see it happen. My heart literally breaks everytime she cries when shopping for clothes or cries over something some ignorant person has said to her. She floored me when she asked for this surgery for Christmas.....it was the last thing I expected to hear from her. So no matter what I WILL be supportive!

Thanks in advance for answering my questions. I know its a lot (and I have more!). Please add anything else that you think might be helpful to me as I see my daughter through this exciting time (in her opinion!)

Hey TGsMOM!

My daughter and I were banded on the same day. She went before me, but I had been given the "pre-op goody pill", so I probably didn't feel the worry as intensely as I might have without it. (Maybe you could ask for one of those-haha).

My daughter was 13 when we were "banded". It has been almost one year to the day (2/24/08) and she has lost 45 pounds and looks amazing. She is very close to her goal. She has had one fill (at the 8 week mark) at the OCC. She has a horrible fear of needles. The fill was worse for her (and me) than the surgery. I don't think that she has had too many problems in the social setting. She doesn't seem to have any issues with foods that she can't tolerate, etc. I don't know if that is normal or not. Dr So, the angel that worked with us at the OCC for her fill, told her that some folks need one fill, others more. She recently told me that at a sleepover someone asked her about one of her scars, and she replied that she'd had it a while and left it at that.

Regarding the preop diet, her BMI wasn't as high as some, so they didn't ask her to be on it. They just asked that she try to maintain her weight. I did a liquid fast during the preop (for Lent). Many folks have great success doing exactly what CanadianBandster described. I think when you start seeing weight come off, and you know that the doctors are counting on you to follow the preop, it makes you more accountable and less likely to want to cheat. Also, we read somewhere (possibly Dr Ortiz's book) that eating a low fat diet prior to this surgery helps to shrink the liver so that the surgery can be less complicated for the surgeons.

Traveling to Tijuana was fun. The Lucerna was safe and very comfortable and accommodating. We shopped and slept alot. I tease my daughter that she must not have been fully recovered from the anesthesia, since she turned down a Louis Vuitton backpack I offered to buy her. Looking back I'm not sure who wasn't recovered from the medicine, her or me (haha).

I'm a little concerned about your daughter's thin friend. She doesn't sound real supportive. That happens sometimes--people can't understand that someone might be breaking out of the shell that they have always known them in.

Regarding my daughter's physician here, he doesn't know -- yet. She is not a routinely sick kid, so in this last year she has had no reason to see him. I will tell you that in no way would I personally be intimidated by someone who disagreed with our lap-band decision. Seeing the positive changes in my daughter far outway any scorn I might receive about doing it. She is medically and psychologically more healthy now than she was 45 pounds ago. Know that you are in the best hands possible with the surgeons at the OCC.

Has your daughter been on this forum? People have posted on every possible aspect of this procedure and its effects on their lives. Every one here is rooting for her (and you)! Bless you for doing this for your kid! You both will be so glad you did it!!

Diana

Thank You! Ya'll have been so helpful! I never even called to see about my daughters pre-op diet but, after I read that your daughter didnt have to do it I emailed Dr. Miranda and found out that my daughter doesnt have to do a pre-op diet either! Im glad you mentioned that!

And we have already decided that all fills will be done at the OCC.

One more quick question......My daughter has an unreasonable fear of getting the IV. How bad was it? She had surgery a few years ago and they waited until she was under before they did it, any chance we will get that this time?

okay - I had a HORRIBLE IV experience when I had my daughter - wow, I still cringe and actually have a hard time with needles now thanks to that episode...

So - I get to the OCC and am FREAKING out - really....thats all I could think about was the damn IV - nevermind that they were about to perform surgery on me. The nurse took me back - I told her I was afraid. I looked away and started counting in my head - trying to relax...honestly..

it was the EASIEST IV I have ever HAD placed and I have had A LOT.

So - Id just tell her to look away, try to relax, count or sing in her head - and it will be over before she knows it!

Your daughter will do fine with the pre op diet. She is motivated, don't let on about your fears, follow her lead. She will do it. It's a finite period of time and she knows she can do it.

Regarding other people knowing that your daughter has had lapband is none of their business . They haven't been there to share her struggles and you have made an informed decision. I know how it hurts when people snicker at your child's weight. It cuts deep. From one mother to another, I feel your pain.(I must be tired if I'm quoting Bill Clinton). You two can decide who you wish to share your lapband story with. People will always make judgements. Stop worrying about what other people think. Life will be alot easier on you as her mother. Your a good mom, relax a little.

Lets tackle the friend issue, mom time to find your daughter a new friend and I'm serious about this. She doesn't act like a friend. A friend is someone who is supportive, excited for you, and wants the best for you. Ditch the friend, it's not a big loss. With friends like her who needs enemies.

My daughter is very comfortable in teenage situations with her friends and eating out. She knows what she can have and what she can't have. She is much more social now and has really gained a new self confidence. Your daughter will do great.

Ok what's next, traveling to Mexico. Well at the OCC they have it down to a science. They met us right after we got off the plane at baggage claim, at the bottom of the escalators. Then right to the hotel, they cater to Dr. Ortiz patients . They will drive you to the clinic. You can feel secure at both the hotel and the clinic. You really don't have to go anywhere else. Since it's just the two of you, If you stay within the confines of the hotel and clinic I think you will be fine. TJ doesn't have the greatest reputation, however I have found the people to be wonderful. The care that my daughter received their was far superior and more attentive than in the US.

Maria

Proud Mom of my Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (tap out ) daughter

Orlando, Florida USA

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update (my daughter has already posted her update on testimonials). We have had a wonderful experience here at the OCC! We are back at the hotel now and heading home to Texas tomorrow. My daughter is feeling good, very little pain or discomfort, just some usual gas pains that are walkable. Sneezing is interesting! And the bumpy cab rides are a little rough. But all in all.....no regrets! I highly recommend Dr. Ortiz and his staff....they are truly great at what they do. The rest will be my daughters journey! I have done my part, and according to the patients we have been around...I am Mother of the year, LOL! They all wished they would have had this as a teenager and think their lives would have been much different. I am excited to see how this all plays out! I will keep you all updated!

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to say Congrats !!!! My daughter Cassie had her's done at age 13 with the OCC. She is now 18. What a life she is living since she had it done. No regrets, and she is a proven sucess. She is the one in Dr. Ortiz book and the Oprah Show. We took other family memebers down to have the surgery as well and all of them are doing great and moving at thier own pace. Again.... Congrats !!!