My check up at the OCC

What a trip! Very informative and I am glad I went - even though I did not get a fill.

First of all, after I explained to Dr. Acosata about my struggles all year, he pulled in Dr. Ortiz, Dr, Matinez and another American doctor that was being trained. A little intimidating at first, but actually, I was very impressed that they all came in to discuss my case. They went over my file, my fills, my diet (had printouts from Spark) my exercise and my history and to make a long story short......I am fine. They told me I am doing everything right and to stop worrying about the scale.

I had complained about only losing 40 pounds in a year and they said that given my age and my family history that I am just someone who's weight loss is going to be slow. Everyone is different and that is how it works for some people. They felt that my weight loss was just fine and I should be happy. They checked me under fluroscopy and my band is fine and working properly. It is nicely tight and not stretched at all. So, I did not get a fill. They all felt that I was not eating enough and to try to up my calories more and to eat three meals a day at about the same time each day too. They explained that if the body doesn't get food at regular intervals, then it goes into starvation mode. Also, your breakfast should be a good hearty one and the best meal of the day. (if you are very tight in the morning try warm liquid to be able to loosen up the band).

Then we went over to speak to Dr. Miranda and she gave me a lot of good tips. Plus she put me on glucophage and thought that might help my liver process fat better. I also had a very good piece of advice for everyone.......STOP assuming that what she tells one person is the same thing that applies to everyone. And, the nutritional information they give you in the beginning is not necessarily the same as what you would follow a year after your surgey. For example, that diet plate she gives you in the beginning that she divides in 3 is divided in 4 for me at this point. So, I encourage everyone to speak to her a good 6 months after banding. I am not to avoid ANY type of food, just eat less of whatever it is I am eating. I do need carbs, I do need fat, so no Adkins diet for me anymore. (Just stay away from mushy foods that slip right through the band).

She gave me a good example for protein to follow for the day. An egg for breakfast, then some sort of meat for lunch and supper but no more than the size of a deck of cards and to drink 2 small glasses of milk into the day also. That is all the protein a person needs unless you have some sort of disease that requires more. (Plus, add in fruit and veggies too). She also said I should try to have a salad before I eat my meal.

All in all, I was extremely impressed that EVERYONE got involved with me and my case and went above and beyond as a team to discuss everything with me and to try to figure out what my problem was. And, according to them, I don't have any problem at all! I just need to be patient and realize that losing this slow does not mean anything is wrong.

I feel vindicated! So for any of you lurkers out there who are afraid to post because of your slow weight loss, come on out and stop being afraid. The majority of those former members who seem to think they know more than the doctors aren't even on this forum anymore. You will not get hammered!! Plus, it would be good for others to see that not everyone can lose 100 pounds in a year. We are all different and we all lose differently. The good thing for me is that I am not gaining anymore. That makes it definitely worth it!

AND I got to meet Darlene and her daughter Mikayla. Very very nice and so glad we got to hang out. And she looks fantastic by the way. And her daughter is such a cutey pie.

GREAT post Mona and thank you so much for posting your trip's experience! This is good info to share and it helps me as well. Wow...what a pleasant trip this was for you and I am sure you are so relieved to know all is ok ~ especially having the docs to take the time to pow wow with you! AWESOME Mona! Now...a thought :rolleyes: , I am betting, since youve been stressed over your issue and now you know you and your wonderful band are just fine, you will start losing the weight! Wouldn't this be so cool! I am HAPPY for you Mona! :D

1318753hrho4qy6r8.gif

Hey Ramona!!! Of course, I already know about your news with your band, I was there! ;) Like Jazzy said, maybe now that the stress is behind you, you got the WORD from the 'horses mouth', you'll relax and your weight will start to come off easier.

Everything they said makes sense, everyone IS different and no one has the same body-make-up or metabolizum[?]

It was very nice meeting you and your Hubby, it's nice to finally put faces to people you've 'known' for a year! Mikayla had a good time, she's a little backwards at first, but she opened up. It was ALL about the Volkswagens though.... what a kid!!

I loved getting to see Dr. O, that man is awesome! Dr. Acosta was wonderful too, that was my first meeting with him. [Dr. Romero did my first fill & Dr. So did the second.] He listen to me, talked to me and asked more than once if I had any questions. Mikayla got to watch my fill and was a little freaked about the needle, but thought it was pretty cool.

Hopefully we can get together this summer,... it would be cool if we could have a bandsters get-together here in Pa.!!

What a trip! Very informative and I am glad I went - even though I did not get a fill.

First of all, after I explained to Dr. Acosata about my struggles all year, he pulled in Dr. Ortiz, Dr, Matinez and another American doctor that was being trained. A little intimidating at first, but actually, I was very impressed that they all came in to discuss my case. They went over my file, my fills, my diet (had printouts from Spark) my exercise and my history and to make a long story short......I am fine. They told me I am doing everything right and to stop worrying about the scale.

I had complained about only losing 40 pounds in a year and they said that given my age and my family history that I am just someone who's weight loss is going to be slow. Everyone is different and that is how it works for some people. They felt that my weight loss was just fine and I should be happy. They checked me under fluroscopy and my band is fine and working properly. It is nicely tight and not stretched at all. So, I did not get a fill. They all felt that I was not eating enough and to try to up my calories more and to eat three meals a day at about the same time each day too. They explained that if the body doesn't get food at regular intervals, then it goes into starvation mode. Also, your breakfast should be a good hearty one and the best meal of the day. (if you are very tight in the morning try warm liquid to be able to loosen up the band).

Then we went over to speak to Dr. Miranda and she gave me a lot of good tips. Plus she put me on glucophage and thought that might help my liver process fat better. I also had a very good piece of advice for everyone.......STOP assuming that what she tells one person is the same thing that applies to everyone. And, the nutritional information they give you in the beginning is not necessarily the same as what you would follow a year after your surgey. For example, that diet plate she gives you in the beginning that she divides in 3 is divided in 4 for me at this point. So, I encourage everyone to speak to her a good 6 months after banding. I am not to avoid ANY type of food, just eat less of whatever it is I am eating. I do need carbs, I do need fat, so no Adkins diet for me anymore. (Just stay away from mushy foods that slip right through the band).

She gave me a good example for protein to follow for the day. An egg for breakfast, then some sort of meat for lunch and supper but no more than the size of a deck of cards and to drink 2 small glasses of milk into the day also. That is all the protein a person needs unless you have some sort of disease that requires more. (Plus, add in fruit and veggies too). She also said I should try to have a salad before I eat my meal.

All in all, I was extremely impressed that EVERYONE got involved with me and my case and went above and beyond as a team to discuss everything with me and to try to figure out what my problem was. And, according to them, I don't have any problem at all! I just need to be patient and realize that losing this slow does not mean anything is wrong.

I feel vindicated! So for any of you lurkers out there who are afraid to post because of your slow weight loss, come on out and stop being afraid. The majority of those former members who seem to think they know more than the doctors aren't even on this forum anymore. You will not get hammered!! Plus, it would be good for others to see that not everyone can lose 100 pounds in a year. We are all different and we all lose differently. The good thing for me is that I am not gaining anymore. That makes it definitely worth it!

AND I got to meet Darlene and her daughter Mikayla. Very very nice and so glad we got to hang out. And she looks fantastic by the way. And her daughter is such a cutey pie.

Hi Mona,

I haven't posted here in quite a long time. I really haven't had a desire to post because there hasn't been anything that really interested me, until now. :)

I was wondering if you have had your metabolism tested? I had mine done before surgery and again, last week. They determined that in order for me to lose weight at an optimal level, I need to eat about 1200 calories per day. I didn't have my surgery done at OCC, so I am not sure if that is part of their normal protocol or not. You may want to check it out because it is a cheap way to determine where your metabolism is. Unfortunately, when people have dieted as long as we, we tend to have shot metabolisms. I have other issues as well that contribute to my slower metabolism that I won't get into here.

I just thought it may help you pinpoint your exact metabolic needs so you could base your caloric intake around those needs. It sounds like the OCC's nutritionist gave you some great information and I appreciate you sharing it on this forum. Oh and I agree - 40lbs is not something to sneeze at. That is pretty impressive. I have lost 70 in a little over a year and I know how hard I have worked. We have to remember everyone is different and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another.

Take care!

Yaaaa Mona!!

Awesome post - thank you so much!!

I'm so glad that you went in and talked to them - it’s hard enough to do this and harder if we are working so hard and aren't seeing the results that some are – you’re such a super star – you always think of everyone else when ever you take something on.

Take care and I hope you’re going to Las Vegas in April I’d love to see you!

Lisa

Good to hear you got some good news! Many times people don't post if they are struggling, and like you said I encourage them to. It is good to hear the good and bad of this band. You never know who else it can help!

Hope this is able to help you!

We missed you by a day! Another bandster and I went down on Friday - and met with Dr. Miranda before our fills. Like you, it was very informative and I was thrilled we had the opportunity to talk with her.

I've been saying this all along - every body is different. Every experience is different. We each respond differently. And you're right....what works for one, may not work for another. I too suffered from weight loss envy - feeling like I've failed because my weight loss was slower or more sparatic than others.

I personally got an unfill - yes, I know...odd but true. I'm not at goal weight yet, but sometimes trying to hydrate during morning hours thru lunch can be difficult and it's created a unhealthy cycle of unhealthy eating. So for me, I wanted the unfill. And I have been thrilled with the results just over the last couple days. I can eat, drink and function - all day - w/o throwing up, w/o being hungry.

I would also encourage everyone to re-evaluate from time to time. Your body is different, and has different needs. At least mine does. I've lost 80 pounds in 11 months, and I still have 40-50 to go. What I did 8 months ago is different than what I need to do today to continue to lose weight.

Thanks for this post - it's a great one!

Hi Mona,

I haven't posted here in quite a long time. I really haven't had a desire to post because there hasn't been anything that really interested me, until now. :)

I was wondering if you have had your metabolism tested? I had mine done before surgery and again, last week. They determined that in order for me to lose weight at an optimal level, I need to eat about 1200 calories per day. I didn't have my surgery done at OCC, so I am not sure if that is part of their normal protocol or not. You may want to check it out because it is a cheap way to determine where your metabolism is. Unfortunately, when people have dieted as long as we, we tend to have shot metabolisms. I have other issues as well that contribute to my slower metabolism that I won't get into here.

I just thought it may help you pinpoint your exact metabolic needs so you could base your caloric intake around those needs. It sounds like the OCC's nutritionist gave you some great information and I appreciate you sharing it on this forum. Oh and I agree - 40lbs is not something to sneeze at. That is pretty impressive. I have lost 70 in a little over a year and I know how hard I have worked. We have to remember everyone is different and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another.

Take care!

As a matter of fact, I just found someone in my area to test it for me. 2 weeks I go, and I can't wait. What a valuable tool and wish I would have know about it sooner. And it only costs $75. I think that will really help, thanks!!

We missed you by a day! Another bandster and I went down on Friday - and met with Dr. Miranda before our fills. Like you, it was very informative and I was thrilled we had the opportunity to talk with her.

I've been saying this all along - every body is different. Every experience is different. We each respond differently. And you're right....what works for one, may not work for another. I too suffered from weight loss envy - feeling like I've failed because my weight loss was slower or more sparatic than others.

I personally got an unfill - yes, I know...odd but true. I'm not at goal weight yet, but sometimes trying to hydrate during morning hours thru lunch can be difficult and it's created a unhealthy cycle of unhealthy eating. So for me, I wanted the unfill. And I have been thrilled with the results just over the last couple days. I can eat, drink and function - all day - w/o throwing up, w/o being hungry.

I would also encourage everyone to re-evaluate from time to time. Your body is different, and has different needs. At least mine does. I've lost 80 pounds in 11 months, and I still have 40-50 to go. What I did 8 months ago is different than what I need to do today to continue to lose weight.

Thanks for this post - it's a great one!

Awwww, I am sorry I missed you! You have done wonderfully, wow! Good for you.

Awwww, I am sorry I missed you! You have done wonderfully, wow! Good for you.

Mona THANK YOU THANK YOU

Your post is just what I needed to hear.

I think that I have lost the least amount of weight of the 5 ladies I keep in touch with since meeting them on banding day in TJ. I was down to 170 in Sept and stayed there until last month when I dropped 5 pounds, but I think that I gained most of the 5 back by being discouraged and eating too much "cheating the band with chocolate and cheesecake" I am so down on myself for "sneak eating" behind my suporive hubby's back! I have been so good at staying away from that crap until now. I felt like a loser....but in the wrong way.

Your post has motivated me to let the band work in it's own time and to just do my part. I needed that boost right now and you have given it to me. I will also go back to logging to food intake and my nutritionist has also reccomended me getting my BMR taken to determine calorie intake.

Mona

><' ><' So glad to hear about your check up and that everything is going well! It's a great reminder that we ALL lose differently! I know you are THRILLED and working harder than ever! Thanks for posting, it really is good to hear that every person is different and we should not be comparing ourselves to anyone.

Hugs to you my friend.

xoxoxoxo

You are so right!!! Thank you so much for posting and reminding me that this journey is very very personal and what works for you may or may not work for me. 40 pounds is very impressive too. Don't be down on yourself for that, if you ever were?! Take a look at what 40 pounds of potatoes look like, and losing is always better than gaining.

I like to remind myself that the slower I lose the weight the longer I will keep it off!!

All the best to you!

Mona THANK YOU THANK YOU

Your post is just what I needed to hear.

I think that I have lost the least amount of weight of the 5 ladies I keep in touch with since meeting them on banding day in TJ. I was down to 170 in Sept and stayed there until last month when I dropped 5 pounds, but I think that I gained most of the 5 back by being discouraged and eating too much "cheating the band with chocolate and cheesecake" I am so down on myself for "sneak eating" behind my suporive hubby's back! I have been so good at staying away from that crap until now. I felt like a loser....but in the wrong way.

Your post has motivated me to let the band work in it's own time and to just do my part. I needed that boost right now and you have given it to me. I will also go back to logging to food intake and my nutritionist has also reccomended me getting my BMR taken to determine calorie intake.

And thank YOU for this post. Glad to know my stuggles can actually help others and hopefully, you will get right back on track!