An hour of daily exercise 'needed to stay slim'

The recommended half an hour of exercise a day may not be enough to stop weight gain.

According to a US study of 34,000 women, an hour a day of moderate exercise is needed to fight the flab.

Overweight women need to diet as well as exercise, a Harvard team reports in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

The UK government advises adults to exercise for at least half an hour five or more days a week.

While 30 minutes exercise is recommended for health reasons, people need to exercise for longer to avoid weight gain

, Professor Paul Gately, Leeds Metropolitan University.

The US study followed 34,000 middle-aged women over 13 years.

The women completed regular questionnaires about the amount of time they spent on physical activity.

They were classified into three groups: those who did the equivalent of less than two and a half hours of moderate exercise a week, between two and a half hours and seven hours a week, and more than seven hours a week.

The average age of the women was 54, and the average weight gain was 2.6 kg over the 13 year period.

The high exercise group gained significantly less weight than the rest.

But there was no difference in weight gain between the two lower exercise groups.

The only group who didn't gain weight during the study were normal weight women who exercised for an hour or more a day.

Too late

Among the women who were normal weight at the start, the more they exercised, the less weight they gained.

But among those who were already overweight at the start there was no relation between exercise and weight gain.

The authors say clear guidelines on the amount of physical activity for the prevention of weight gain are essential.

They draw two conclusions: "Firstly once overweight, it may be too late because physical activity - at least, at levels carried out by study participants - was not associated with less weight gain.

"Second, sustaining high levels of physical activity (60 minutes a day) is needed to successfully maintain normal BMI and prevent weight gain."

This level of activity is higher than the minimum that the UK government recommends.

Spare tyre

A Department of Health spokesperson said: "The Chief Medical Officer recommends that adults do 30 minutes of physical activity at least five times a week. Children need 60 minutes of activity every day.

"As part of the Change4Life movement, adults are being encouraged to make simple changes, such as eating more fruit and veg, cutting down on fatty foods and being more active, in their diet and lifestyle which will help them lead longer, healthier lives — and lose that unwanted spare tyre."

But Professor Paul Gately, who runs Carnegie Weight Management Programme at Leeds Metropolitan University, said the government recommendation is the amount of exercise needed to reduce risk of ill health.

He said more exercise was needed to avoid weight gain, and an hour a day was in line with findings of previous research.

He said: "While 30 minutes exercise is recommended for health reasons, people need to exercise for longer to avoid weight gain."

He added that the International Obesity Task Force report in 2004 concluded that people who are overweight have to do more exercise to maintain their weight, up to 90 minutes a day.

[Source]

This report was on the news this morning and they noted that the advice to workout for an hour a day or more only applies to those who do NOT watch what they eat & the standard 30 minutes, 7 days a week is fine for those who are watching what they eat. :D

Among the women who were normal weight at the start, the more they exercised, the less weight they gained.

But among those who were already overweight at the start there was no relation between exercise and weight gain.

It just goes to show you how important eating right really is when it comes to weight loss.

I have always heard that eating right is 75% of weight loss and working out is 25%. Not to say working out isn't great for OTHER reasons, but as far as weight loss, I have always heard that what you eat helps more when trying to lose weight. But, I know that I won't look that great unless I work out, also, so I am not trying to justify not working out!

I got a chance to visit with Dr. Miranda after having my fill last Friday. She said something that really hit home for me. 120-300 minutes of exercise per week will prevent a broken hip. I could be a little off on the minutes but it was around those numbers. I'm all about losing weight but I really fear breaking my hip when I'm an old lady. I've already broken both legs and ankles and ruptured at least one disk in my back. I probably have another ruptured now. I also had fractured my arm and didn't find out until after it healed I started complaining about some pain. So, this hip thing really struck a nerve with me. Now, I just need to ignore my back and legs hurting me this week and start some gentle walking. I know it will make me feel better after a bit but it always hurts at first. ok.. done feeling sorry for myself. The point is... exercise.. it's good for us!!

• 2 years later...

Well where as I know about work out and slim mythes it is one of them, but I have learned after searching on internet and asking many helath experts they have confirmed that our regular diet is more effactive in gainig and loosing weight.90minutes of work out does have effact on our health but we should not forget about the diet.Junk food is kind a bag full of calories, and it is one of the main fators that creats one's weighty situations.secondly if u talk about work out i do it 30 minutes a day and i never feel any thing like our weighting.I keep looking at my calorie and diet chart..........

that is what I have experianced