A bit discouraged

Hey y'all

I am a bit discouraged of late. I was banded 9/2/08 and did really well the first few months. I lost so much weight that I thought the band was my miracle cure. However, since Christmas I seem to have....fallen off the wagon. I do not have restriction unless I eat too fast or too big of bites, then I get stuck and have to either wait it out or PB. But if I eat slow and small bites and every thing goes down okay, then I can eat pretty much how much I used to. I try to eat the 1/3 of what I used to but then I am hungry in 20 minutes again. I am so frustrated. I fear this band was just a placebo, something to make me think that I could do it. I have gained 14 pounds since my lightest (on my ticker) and I could cry. This is just like ALL the other times I have lost weight. I lose then I gain it right back. I have had 2 fills, so I am now at 2.8 cc in my 4cc band. my last fill was Feb 11 at the OCC. So my question. Is this restriction??? Is the rest of the process seriously just going to be will power. Cause if it is, I could have saved the 8 grand and still been miserable.

I am excercising and I am trying to eat the protein first. But I have no problem making it to the grains and still wanting some more. Could definitley use some encouraging words. Has anyone else been in my situation even after 2 fills? UGgh.

Honey, I have had 8 fills, yes 8. I do have the larger VG band and I currently have the max of 10 cc's of saline in my band, so it is absolutely conceivable that you too will need a lot more to be at your sweet spot. Go get another fill. Don't give up, I haven't and it's almost a year or me! Get another fill amd ask them to be aggressive with it! In fact, if you just had one on 2/11, you should get an adjustment for free! Don't give up, you shouldn't be fighting this hard, it will work, just get another fill!

Aaawwww, don't be discouraged. Chin up sweetie :D

Yes, the band is frustrating at times. It reminds us :

slow down and chew properly

eating junk food is NOT an option

losing weight is still a struggle no matter what "tool" we use

there are no miracle cures for weight loss

there is a light at the end of the tunnel

eating healthier is a part of life, not temporary

exercise is a part of life, not temporary

the body is amazing

However, the only regret that most of us have is NOT doing it sooner. There are struggles, frustrations, temptations, and worries BUT it (the band) is proven that weight loss is factual and weight GAIN is rare. I have noticed in my situation, that it takes professional teamwork for me. Working with my primary care physician, my fill doctor, my dietitian, and my personal coaches has helped given me motivation, determination, and success. If you feel you need a fill, seek professional help be it your fill doctor, dietitian or surgeon.

Also, if you feel you are eating more than what you should, take a calorie count intake. You may be on target because you are exercising and therefore, you may need additional calorie intake. For example, I weigh 199, hence my recommended calorie intake is 1800 calories per day because I exercise 4 times a week for an 1 hour or more. If you would like to see what calories you are recommended to take, go to this link

Calorie Count

OR

Sparkpeople

Thank you all for your support. I know I read a lot of topics on this but I guess when it is me that it is referring to, I get so discouraged. Especially when the scale goes up. I know I am not eating healthy like I should. I know I am still running to the kitchen for my emotional support during a hard time in my life. I just was hoping the band took more of the hunger out of the equation, not to mention stopped me from eating more than the third I am suppose to. I have to wait 4 weeks at least to schedule another fill, just to make sure all the adjusting is done. Who knows, I may wake up tomorrow with perfect restriction. Spring is around the corner and I was hoping to be able to go out in shorts this year. Oh well, guess it won't happen this time. Thanks again for all the support

I got one word for ya....F I L L L L L L L.... I had the same problem and ask my doc to stop foolin'around and crank this bad boy down until it's shut! Not really, but you know what I mean. Now I'm forced to eat right or it's coming back up for sure.

Socal

I have exactly the same problem. I am so depressed and frustrated. I got my first fill two weeks ago but nothing changed as far as my weight. I have been eating way less and getting in my protien. I have been exercising for the first time in years. I feel like I wasted a ton of money and sometimes I wish I had never done this. I'm embarrassed that I thought it would work and I would see results but I have not lost a single ounce since my fill and I'm following all the stinkin rules. I am not happy with my band :(

SheRee

I have exactly the same problem. I am so depressed and frustrated. I got my first fill two weeks ago but nothing changed as far as my weight. I have been eating way less and getting in my protien. I have been exercising for the first time in years. I feel like I wasted a ton of money and sometimes I wish I had never done this. I'm embarrassed that I thought it would work and I would see results but I have not lost a single ounce since my fill and I'm following all the stinkin rules. I am not happy with my band :(

SheRee

yup - like everyone said - you need a FILL asap. I too have to eat perfectly - chew, little bites, proper foods or it too comes right back up. I can tell I will need another fill soon though (phew Im booked for the 14th!) because I am getting hungrier quicker...for instance I am hungry about an hour to an hour and a half after I eat. I could eat more but dont - so like others have said I am using more will power than band power so its time for a fill - just like u!

Also - I really dont think that you are "feeling" restriction just because when you eat fast or too big of bites it gets stuck....Isnt restriction when you feel fuller longer and it takes you less food to feel full. Its bad band practice to eat fast and big bites - dont get yourself into trouble (I personally have to be VERY VERY careful)

I also think you need a fill. I went to the OCC on the 19th and had a fill and am at 3.4cc in my 4cc band. I have FINALLY found out what restriction is!! I was so worried that I had wasted my time and money and I blamed myself for not having will power. Let's face it, if I had will power, I wouldn't have needed the band!!

I'm hoping that this stays with me for at least a couple months so I can lose this last 30lbs. Don't get discouraged, get fills until you feel restriction. I'm glad I didn't give up!! :)

Hi Heidi,

I have been watching the forum for you. I know you are feeling discouraged but you have a lot going on in your life. Don't give up. Don't beat yourself up. That is what got us here in the first place. We are our own worst enemies. When something doesn't go right. We eat. Thus we gain. Take one day at a time. Just get through today, then start over tomorrow. I have been writing down the portions of what I eat and how many calories, protein and fiber each serving has. Add it up, so that you are mentally aware of what your intake is.

I do not have the long term wisdom that our encouragers on this sight have. I just know that it is very hard for me right now and I am trying to follow my own advice. Hang in there.

I enjoyed meeting you. Anne

Also - I really dont think that you are "feeling" restriction just because when you eat fast or too big of bites it gets stuck....Isnt restriction when you feel fuller longer and it takes you less food to feel full. Its bad band practice to eat fast and big bites - dont get yourself into trouble (I personally have to be VERY VERY careful)

Amen, Amen & Amen! Restriction is not what you are feeling, what you are feeling is food getting stuck.

Be careful eating larger portions, the last thing you want to do is to stretch your pouch and have to go back on liquids or get the band removed. Limit yourself to no more than a cup of food at a time. Take small bites, chew them well, and lay your fork down between the bites.

You are going thru a stressful time right now, but do not add to that stress by eating around the band. Hold your head up, stick your chest out and move forward into the new you!

Heidi - - I FEEL YOU!! I totally understand what you are dealing with/going through as I have not lost a single friggen pound since ..... december or jan. Talk about frustrating, annoying, discouraging, disheartening, etc... I do have restriction sometimes too much, actually. I had to get a small un-fill because I was only eating maybe 700-900 cal per day AND exercising/seeing a personal trainer.

I know that you feel like you have no restriction, which I sometimes WISH I had none - lol... I can remember when I had no restriction and it is very frustrating because you can eat whatever and its like... if I have to feel like I am starving myself AND if I have to struggling like this, whats the point of spending ALL that $$$$!! I dunno I get frustrated but then think about how I weigh less than I did in 7th-8th grade and I realize it was and IS worth it. Try to keep your chin up and remotivate yourself by getting a FILL - - like everyone else here has said.

Also continue utilizing this forum to vent and get help and support from fellow bandsters. Good luck sweetie.

Hi Heidi,

I have been watching the forum for you. I know you are feeling discouraged but you have a lot going on in your life. Don't give up. Don't beat yourself up. That is what got us here in the first place. We are our own worst enemies. When something doesn't go right. We eat. Thus we gain. Take one day at a time. Just get through today, then start over tomorrow. I have been writing down the portions of what I eat and how many calories, protein and fiber each serving has. Add it up, so that you are mentally aware of what your intake is.

I do not have the long term wisdom that our encouragers on this sight have. I just know that it is very hard for me right now and I am trying to follow my own advice. Hang in there.

I enjoyed meeting you. Anne

It is nice to hear from you Anne. I sure hope you are doing better with your fill than I am with mine. I really am glad I got to meet you. Maybe we will bump into each other again in TJ one day. Thanks for the encouragement!!!

Amen, Amen & Amen! Restriction is not what you are feeling, what you are feeling is food getting stuck.

Be careful eating larger portions, the last thing you want to do is to stretch your pouch and have to go back on liquids or get the band removed. Limit yourself to no more than a cup of food at a time. Take small bites, chew them well, and lay your fork down between the bites.

You are going thru a stressful time right now, but do not add to that stress by eating around the band. Hold your head up, stick your chest out and move forward into the new you!

I want to, I really do. Will someone please fly out to SD and kick me in the butt to get me going. :lb20: :aggressive: I need the motivation I had when I first started this journey.

Heidi,

You are my hero; you are an extremely strong, beautiful, motivated young woman. I am so amazed at your journey and everything you stood up to, to get your band and your struggles and triumphs along the way..

You don’t need any of us to come down and kick your butte’ you can do this in a heartbeat; just sit in front of your mirror and have a heart to heart with yourself.

Today is a new day, so get going girl!

Lisa

Heidi,

I agree with the others and their sentiments... You need a fill. You need to make that band do the work for you. Right now you're doing too much of the work... I'm betting a bit more restriction is going to get you back on the road, and you're going to feel lots more motivation. BIG HUGS!

I want to, I really do. Will someone please fly out to SD and kick me in the butt to get me going. :lb20: :aggressive: I need the motivation I had when I first started this journey.

Sorry, can't do that today. It snowed here and since I never made it out of my pajamas (ah the benefits of being single :P ) I probably won't be making a trip to the airport tonight.

However, I can tell you how to kick your own butt. Follow these directions:

1. Stand behind a kitchen chair.

2. Place both hands firmly on the back of the chair. ***Do not skip this step as it could be hazardous to your health.

3. Plant left foot firmly on floor.

4. Shift weight onto left foot.

5. Engage muscles in right leg.

6. Bend right leg at the knee directing right foot towards left side of buttocks in a swift and fluid motion.

7. Repeat steps 3 thru 6 as needed.

Note: The left and right foot/leg choice may be switched depending on personal preference.

Now, do as Lisa said earlier and have a heart to heart with yourself. Think back to life before the band and journal about your reasons for wanting to take this journey. Then review what you wrote and see if those same reasons still exist. I bet at least some if not all of them do. If those reasons were worth the journey then, they are still worth the journey today. Stop worrying about where the finish line is, just know that with each step you take you are one step closer to it.