Travel Advisory

KristaFakaua

Hi I'm new to the forum...new to all of this actually. My name is Krista and I'm 35, a mother of a 2 year old and 4 year old girls, from Toronto Canada. I am booked for surgery for March 17 09, and I am very excited to be taking this step, and feel very good about doing this at The Obesity Control Center itself. I am travelling on my brother in law's points so I'm flying into L.A and driving a rental car to San Diego to be picked up. Now I am hearing frightening things about travelling to boarder towns, with Tijuana listed ...that there is huge unrest due to gang wars. I've never thought twice about travelling to Mexico before....i've gotten spooked, and I'm hoping to hear from people who have just RECENTLY been. What was your experience crossing the boarder and being in Tijuana like?

Hi I'm new to the forum...new to all of this actually. My name is Krista and I'm 35, a mother of a 2 year old and 4 year old girls, from Toronto Canada. I am booked for surgery for March 17 09, and I am very excited to be taking this step, and feel very good about doing this at The Obesity Control Center itself. I am travelling on my brother in law's points so I'm flying into L.A and driving a rental car to San Diego to be picked up. Now I am hearing frightening things about travelling to boarder towns, with Tijuana listed ...that there is huge unrest due to gang wars. I've never thought twice about travelling to Mexico before....i've gotten spooked, and I'm hoping to hear from people who have just RECENTLY been. What was your experience crossing the boarder and being in Tijuana like?

Hi Krista! Congratulations on your upcoming surgery! :) I felt very safe there. Just so you know, the clinic is very close to the border and the hotel is just down the street. So, you are not going into the heart of TJ. The fact that they pick you up at the hotel and airports is a plus. Are you parking your rental car at the border parking? If so, you park your vehicle in San Diego and make arrangements for the OCC drivers to pick you up and get you across the border.

If I were to go now, I would probably be at the clinic or the hotel at all times. The hotel has wonderful restaurants and you can even get a massage if you wanted one. But, there is shopping that you can do if you wanted & I suggest you go with someone if you decide to do that. You will meet others that are having surgey the same day as you, maybe you already have met some online.

Good luck! Let's know how everything went for you!

Dana

Thank you both for taking the time to write. It's so good to hear from real people who have been. Krista

I was a little scared, too when we went on New Year's Day. We stayed close to the hotel, and only went out in the day. I have to go back now because of a leaking band. My husband is not going to be able to go back with me because he is in the Army National Guard and they have put a travel ban on Mexico because of the heightened violence. If I were you I would just stay in the hotel and not venture out.

I might be there the day you are!

I'm scheduled to go to TJ on Wednesday, March 11. My surgery date is the 12th. I'll let you know how the border crossing and experience was upon my return.

Hi! First, Congrats! I live in LA and just wanted to give you a little "warning" about traffic and travel times. When we drive to OCC, it can take up to 5 hrs unless you drive VERY early in the morning. We usually leave Los Angeles around 5am and we make it there without any delays. So just plan your travel accordingly and expect delays. One other thing...be sure and take the toll road from Orange County to San Diego...this will save you about 30-45 minutes....I think its 6.00 each way and well worth it.

I just got back from TJ last night. It was absolutely safe. No problems at all, it was a piece of cake. You have nothing to worry about. I was very worried when I left San Diego but it was for nothing. We took a cab to Revolution Ave to do some light shopping was we felt very safe. OCC is GREAT!

Nicole and I got back Saturday night from our quick trip down for a fill. Southbound travel into TJ was smooth and no problems. Northbound was quite backed up due to increased US border security. Luckily, Jesus drives like a maniac and we squeezed through the traffic. The line ups for walking over was empty for bus passengers but the regular lines stretched back quite a ways. I thought I was going to get the rubber glove treatment when the border guard sez's "what do you mean you were only there three hours..." but I got through without the prostate exam. Got back to the airport with time to spare.

Great trip.

• 4 weeks later...
Im not worried - I go there often. I will be there again March 12-17th. My friend lives there and she said it is okay where we go. :) If she tells me otherwise I will post it on here - honestly, cross my heart I am not concerned.

I agree with you...I was a little scared to go the day before we flew out but once there I felt completely safe. We even went into Rosarito to shop and still felt completely safe. It was a little sad though....the amount of tourist there was minimal. We were just there two weeks ago....it's safe, have fun!! B)