post op ab exercises, pilates, etc...

i'm a couple weeks post op and healing really nicely (not in pain or anything). i was thinking about starting up exercising soon and have been figuring out what i like best. the gym bores me silly, i'm thinking of pilates (done it before and loved it), kickboxing (going to wait till i'm more fit) or power walking. i'd like to sign up for a spring pilates class, but i'm wondering how long i should wait before doing any ab-related exercises?

I don't have my stuff handy, but I believe I was told 6 weeks before doing any hard exercises but you can do walking and things that aren't going to use your abs much. Anyone that has been banded recently chime in, but I was also told you shouldn't do any hard core ab stuff at all. It's great though you are already ready to rock and roll with exercise. I was in a bit of pain for quite a while so I couldn't do it that early. My opinion is give it a whirl, but as soon as you start to feel sore stop immediately.

You have to go by what the doctor told you.

Dr. Miranda told me nothing for 3 weeks post op...then anything is a go - and ab work once I feel up to it....well - I am two months post op and I cant do abs...even swimming sometimes my port area hurts the whole day after. I am going to ask again when I go there for my second fill next week

I was banded in Jan and my paperwork said no ab work for 3 months but Dr. Miranda scratched it out and said it had changed, she wrote 3 weeks after it and told me I was good for anything I felt up to. I told her I loved kickboxing and usually did pretty hard exercise and she said that was great, as long as there was no pain (there would be tenderness) that i was fine 3 weeks post op for anything.

Good luck! Ive wanted to try pilates but im not very flexible lol

hi babe,

I am glad you r asking this....

this was my next question.... I have been ready for work out since last week.. but couldnt decide....

you and I have been banded for 17 days now...... and I have lost only 10 pounds sooo far.. I think which is very slow compare to others...

but thats me... it always takes time for me to loose some weight comparetively...

so I have decided I will start my work out from MOnday !!! so, ru with be babe.... ;)

Wow thats funny they changed it from 3 months, but just my opinion here, I was banded in May. My first fill was 6 weeks later in June and my port was just fine, I had to start training for a tahitian dance I was going to perform in Aug. I didn't realized how much ab work was involved. When I went back for my 2nd fill, my port had tilted. now sits sideways and sticks out some, I am sure it was because of the training I was doing.

So my advice would be to wait at least 3 months before doing abs. I wish I had

well - even though she told me 3 weeks... I havent specifically been targetting my abs...because I swim and take dance lessons and then I am sensitive for the rest of the day. I wont be targetting abs for a long while yet. I worry about my port all the time and cant wait to go for my fill to make sure its all okay! I love flouro - makes me feel so much better knowing its all okay! Wish I could see it everyday lol

Wow thats funny they changed it from 3 months, but just my opinion here, I was banded in May. My first fill was 6 weeks later in June and my port was just fine, I had to start training for a tahitian dance I was going to perform in Aug. I didn't realized how much ab work was involved. When I went back for my 2nd fill, my port had tilted. now sits sideways and sticks out some, I am sure it was because of the training I was doing.

So my advice would be to wait at least 3 months before doing abs. I wish I had

I totally agree with Linda. You need the time to heal after your surgery, which is considered major. Why push the point? I have read posts where some had started earlier and they were still tender from surgery and their port area. I didn't have the soreness, but I thought if I started earlier than what was suggested, I COULD have discomfort and that would prolong my healing time. I waited until my 3 months were 'up' and then started slowly with the abs and I hadn't had one problem whatsoever. In the meantime, I did lots of walking and that was a good thing for me to do, as I was huffing and puffing after doing the walks. By the time the "3 months were up" to do other hard core exercises, I wasn't out of breath as much as when I started. But listen to your body...you are the best person to know if you can or can't do it. IMHO, I highly recommend to wait out the time and know that your healed enough to not worry about any mishaps with your port or band.

well - even though she told me 3 weeks... I havent specifically been targetting my abs...because I swim and take dance lessons and then I am sensitive for the rest of the day. I wont be targetting abs for a long while yet. I worry about my port all the time and cant wait to go for my fill to make sure its all okay! I love flouro - makes me feel so much better knowing its all okay! Wish I could see it everyday lol

I AGREE WITH YOU..... I WISH I COULD SEE IT EVEYDAY TOO.. IT WORRIES ME ALOT...