Brutal Honesty

I am hoping others on here will be brutally honest with their thoughts. So much of what is written on here is positive and that is great, it is one of the reasons I decided to have this done, but now I am feeling completely alone with regrets. I have researched the forum and have only seen a few people who have voiced how I am feeling. I am also hoping that my entry will not be deleted.

I was banded about 2 weeks ago (yes I know it wasn't long ago). I did not have the gassy feeling right after the procedure, but incredible port pain. My port and laproscopic sites seem to be higher than most people and I had lots of bruising. My port feels like it sits right on the edge of my ribs, so leaning forward can be a killer. I called several days after my surgery and Dr So said that extreme port pain is not that common but that it should get less. It has decreased somewhat, but now several times a day, I still get a heartbeat pain at the port site that makes me stop what I am doing. At 8 days post/op, I also started getting this horrible sharp shoulder pain right in my left scapula that literally takes my breath away (worse than a gallstone). It comes and goes for no apparent reason, but when it comes I immediately start sweating and have to do deep breathing to get through it. About a week after the surgery I also became extremely bloated and gassy all the time.

Let me say that I am a physical therapist and very familiar with the stages of healing. I understand scar tissue and know the physiology of what is happening to me. I completely understand the CO2 in my body and the fact that it takes a while to get out . Let me also mention that I am doing everything under the sun to help this. I am walking 3 miles a day everday, using heat, putting pressure/massage and taking tons of simethicone/gas x to no avail, anti-inflammaories etc... I am also taking 10mg vicodin at night which barely helps me but takes the edge off. Because of my desperation, it was very difficult to find reputable studies on the symptoms I am having. I found the Australian article regarding shoulder pain and it says

"Shoulder pain following LAGB surgery is common, usually affects the left shoulder, and can

in some cases last 5 weeks or more. Avoiding injury to the crura during the procedure may prevent more

prolonged pain."

So I found out that some people apparently do not have the shoulder pain immediately but one or more weeks later and they may have the shoulder pain for months/years, some continue to have port sensitivity years later and many people are just bloated and gassy for the rest of their lives.

:blink: My goodness, I cannot imagine 3 more weeks of this port pain and shoulder pain and the possibility that I will forever have bloating and be gassy.... and yes I do understand those of you who believe the bloating and gas for the rest of your lives isn't a bad trade off for weight loss.

I am not a complainer and typically think of myself as a pretty tough cookie, but these side effects are affecting my day to day function and I am mad at myself for doing this to myself. Obviously my body is more sensitive than most, but I have yet to see someone else on the current forum implying they were going crazy with the side effects after surgery and feeling depression and regret. I know that I could not have anticipated this but the only thing that is making me feel better is the thought of removing this band in a few months when the scar tissue slows down. I swear if I could do surgery on myself, I would have done it already. I know healing and everything takes time ("this too shall pass"), I tell that to my patients all the time, but if I am so unusual to have such extreme symptoms, I cannot know for sure if and when it will pass.

Anyway, I do not want to discourage anyone who is reading this. I believe the lap band has changed many peoples' lives and has been a blessing to them. My best friend also had lap band surgery 6 months ago, had little to no symptoms and is doing fantastic. Therefore, she cannot relate to my situation at all.

I am just talking about my own individual case which apparently is in no way the "norm". I am scared, I am worried, I am seriously depressed and I am on the verge of tears most of the time. I just wanted to be brutally honest on this forum in the hopes that there is someone out there who can relate so I would not feel so alone and scared.

Thanks for listening. :)

Faith I am so sorry for what you are going through! I had port pain for about 3 weeks after surgery and my port sits at about the same place you described. My port really bothered me at night because it is at the bottom of my rib cage and it felt like it was always rubbing. As I'm sure you already know the pain you feel at the port is because it is stitched into your stomach muscles, to this day I still get little episodes where I get a funny feeling and I rub it (9 months out, ok so I find that I rub it all the time but not because it hurts). Stay as strong as you can....

My mother was banded by a local doctor here in Washington and he told her that it takes up to 4-6 months for your body to completely heal from the surgery even when you think it is all better.

I don't know what else to say other than I will be thinking of you and stay strong.

Shy

Hi,

It's been over a year since I got my band and I always have some port site sensitivity. My port also seems a little high, but I am high waisted and I thought it was because of my body type. That said, I can't wear pants that are tight at my port site. This will make the sensitivity worse. Also, I am one of those people (don't know if anyone else is like this?) that can't have an empty stomach. If my stomach is completely empty, I get TERRIBLE pain in my stomach. If I eat something - even something small - it will go away.

Regarding shoulder pain, I had pain for several months after surgery, in my shoulder and back. It has gone away now, but it took a really long time.

I know my recovery was painful. It was 2 weeks before I could go back to work and about 4 weeks before I could wear a bra. I have forgotten about it, for the most part, but your email brought it all back to me. It is a little depressing while you are going through the pain and coming to terms with the different way you have to eat. It is worth it, though. Just the other day, I was thankful for my band. I was starting to "emotional" eat and I got a sharp pain from the bread I was eating. It made me stop in my tracks. I didn't eat any more. That is what the band is saving you from.

Overall, I am happy with the surgery, even with the discomfort. I could never have lost the weight on my own. Even though I have not lost as much as I would like, I am still a million times better off than I was before the band.

Good luck. Stay in touch with your doctor.

Lara

In regards to your looking forward to possibly having the band out in a few months, if I were in your shoes I would be afraid that they would fill me up with CO2 for this procedure as well. Some people do have more pain than others, but from what I have read on this forum and another one everyone's pain eventually subsides to the point that it is gone or is tolerable and recognized as a normal part of their new life.

Not being able to eat real food is bound to have an effect on you right now. Get thru the next week and I think you will start feeling better at least by the time you get to eat real food, if not before. I know walking is expected as soon as you can, but 3 miles a day seems like a lot to me - is your doctor okay with 3 miles of walking per day 2 weeks post surgery? About 7 months after my surgery I started having severe pain when I walked or breathed deeply. We eventually figured out the pain was caused by scar tissue which thankfully has remedied itself because I thought I was going to pass out from the pain at times. I got in trouble with one of my doctor's for taking presciption narcotics for the pain, but I ignored him and took it anyway because if I couldn't be lucky enough to pass out I wanted to at least be "happy" about the pain.

Hang in there, you can do it and in a few months this will be a distant memory.

Faith, I’m so sorry for your pain, I do hope it gets better quickly and my thoughts are with you. I think Pammie is right, I’d like you to go back and see the doctors.

I do believe we’re all different, some have no pain, so have middle ground and some have a lot – but I’ve never heard any one say that if they could take it out themselves they would – that tells me that your pain is high up on your scale and that has me worried. Especially since you in the field and have a great understand of the process.

I am so hoping that all goes well for you, however extreme pain can take over your life and emotions as you are seeing and I hate that you’re going through this.

Take care, know that our thoughts are with you – and try and get yourself in for a check up if at all possible.

Best,

Lisa

it has been 9 mos since i was banded. for the first two months i had severe left shoulder gas pain. i would pace on the verge of tears for hours. the pain was completely unpredictable. but, finally, it struck less and less often. the intestinal gas has continued. i have noticed that i am a lot more gassy then i was before the band. i was also more weak then i had anticipated; i remember feeling really tired at the end of each day for about two months. lately, i have been having unpredictable restriction. my last fill was in january. i spent tues and wed not being able to hold down anything solid. today, i was able to eat normally. the weight loss has been great! i am only 5 lbs from my revised goal. slower then i had anticipated, but steady. i still have minor port sensitivity; but, i never experienced any real port pain. hang in there; you won't really know how you will feel about being banded until about 2 months post sx.

Hello Faith,

I too was very frustrated with this site immediately post op, as I had the "everything that could go wrong seemed to" situation with my band too. I was banded over the Christmas Holidays with a few other women that just sailed through everything and I was in extreme pain. I too am a health care professional and am very familiar with wound healing and surgical experiences. I was really not prepared for what I went though, because as you say, most don't have a negative experience and report "how easy it all is"

The one truth that you can take to the bank, is that, if in fact everything has gone as normal with your surgery and you aren't having some weird rejection reaction, then you WILL start to feel better with time.......how long is hard to predict......and how completely normal you feel again will be the other unknown.

I was stuck in California for a week before returning home to Canada, thinking I would vacation with friends and relatives over the holidays, I was so convinced by everything I heard on this site that I would be "just fine" .......wow! I was desperate for stronger pain meds and had no way of getting any and of course did not buy any before leaving Mexico, thinking I would be ok in a few days. Dr. Martinez even ordered a Floro to check the band before I left, I was having so much pain and discomfort.......the said everything looked normal, but it took weeks! for me to start feeling better. I guess like you say, some of us are just more sensitive and the way we heal is different.

I am hoping and praying that by the third week ( which is when things started to turn around for me) that you will start experiencing less pain and be able to cope better. Please call the doctors and make sure they are aware of your issues.......just the assurance that everything looks good will hopefully help. I didn't like the sound of the "heartbeat" type pain that you mentioned your are having.....that can sometimes indicate infection......keep us posted of your progress, and hang in there

Rhonda

Hello Faith,

I too was very frustrated with this site immediately post op, as I had the "everything that could go wrong seemed to" situation with my band too. I was banded over the Christmas Holidays with a few other women that just sailed through everything and I was in extreme pain. I too am a health care professional and am very familiar with wound healing and surgical experiences. I was really not prepared for what I went though, because as you say, most don't have a negative experience and report "how easy it all is"

The one truth that you can take to the bank, is that, if in fact everything has gone as normal with your surgery and you aren't having some weird rejection reaction, then you WILL start to feel better with time.......how long is hard to predict......and how completely normal you feel again will be the other unknown.

I was stuck in California for a week before returning home to Canada, thinking I would vacation with friends and relatives over the holidays, I was so convinced by everything I heard on this site that I would be "just fine" .......wow! I was desperate for stronger pain meds and had no way of getting any and of course did not buy any before leaving Mexico, thinking I would be ok in a few days. Dr. Martinez even ordered a Floro to check the band before I left, I was having so much pain and discomfort.......the said everything looked normal, but it took weeks! for me to start feeling better. I guess like you say, some of us are just more sensitive and the way we heal is different.

I am hoping and praying that by the third week ( which is when things started to turn around for me) that you will start experiencing less pain and be able to cope better. Please call the doctors and make sure they are aware of your issues.......just the assurance that everything looks good will hopefully help. I didn't like the sound of the "heartbeat" type pain that you mentioned your are having.....that can sometimes indicate infection......keep us posted of your progress, and hang in there

Rhonda

I am hoping others on here will be brutally honest with their thoughts. So much of what is written on here is positive and that is great, it is one of the reasons I decided to have this done, but now I am feeling completely alone with regrets. I have researched the forum and have only seen a few people who have voiced how I am feeling. I am also hoping that my entry will not be deleted.

I was banded about 2 weeks ago (yes I know it wasn't long ago). I did not have the gassy feeling right after the procedure, but incredible port pain. My port and laproscopic sites seem to be higher than most people and I had lots of bruising. My port feels like it sits right on the edge of my ribs, so leaning forward can be a killer. I called several days after my surgery and Dr So said that extreme port pain is not that common but that it should get less. It has decreased somewhat, but now several times a day, I still get a heartbeat pain at the port site that makes me stop what I am doing. At 8 days post/op, I also started getting this horrible sharp shoulder pain right in my left scapula that literally takes my breath away (worse than a gallstone). It comes and goes for no apparent reason, but when it comes I immediately start sweating and have to do deep breathing to get through it. About a week after the surgery I also became extremely bloated and gassy all the time.

Let me say that I am a physical therapist and very familiar with the stages of healing. I understand scar tissue and know the physiology of what is happening to me. I completely understand the CO2 in my body and the fact that it takes a while to get out . Let me also mention that I am doing everything under the sun to help this. I am walking 3 miles a day everday, using heat, putting pressure/massage and taking tons of simethicone/gas x to no avail, anti-inflammaories etc... I am also taking 10mg vicodin at night which barely helps me but takes the edge off. Because of my desperation, it was very difficult to find reputable studies on the symptoms I am having. I found the Australian article regarding shoulder pain and it says

"Shoulder pain following LAGB surgery is common, usually affects the left shoulder, and can

in some cases last 5 weeks or more. Avoiding injury to the crura during the procedure may prevent more

prolonged pain."

So I found out that some people apparently do not have the shoulder pain immediately but one or more weeks later and they may have the shoulder pain for months/years, some continue to have port sensitivity years later and many people are just bloated and gassy for the rest of their lives.

:blink: My goodness, I cannot imagine 3 more weeks of this port pain and shoulder pain and the possibility that I will forever have bloating and be gassy.... and yes I do understand those of you who believe the bloating and gas for the rest of your lives isn't a bad trade off for weight loss.

I am not a complainer and typically think of myself as a pretty tough cookie, but these side effects are affecting my day to day function and I am mad at myself for doing this to myself. Obviously my body is more sensitive than most, but I have yet to see someone else on the current forum implying they were going crazy with the side effects after surgery and feeling depression and regret. I know that I could not have anticipated this but the only thing that is making me feel better is the thought of removing this band in a few months when the scar tissue slows down. I swear if I could do surgery on myself, I would have done it already. I know healing and everything takes time ("this too shall pass"), I tell that to my patients all the time, but if I am so unusual to have such extreme symptoms, I cannot know for sure if and when it will pass.

Anyway, I do not want to discourage anyone who is reading this. I believe the lap band has changed many peoples' lives and has been a blessing to them. My best friend also had lap band surgery 6 months ago, had little to no symptoms and is doing fantastic. Therefore, she cannot relate to my situation at all.

I am just talking about my own individual case which apparently is in no way the "norm". I am scared, I am worried, I am seriously depressed and I am on the verge of tears most of the time. I just wanted to be brutally honest on this forum in the hopes that there is someone out there who can relate so I would not feel so alone and scared.

Faith

My empathy with your agony and expectations and can say that it will" pass in time." I too, an very sensitive to pain and the like and had ahoulder pain for months which I treated with massage and cold compresses.

I took 800 ml ibiuprofen daily crushed mixed with tylenol for many weeks until the pain finally subsided.

I experienced the gas issue since my surgery in Dec. It is now getting better and less active but still there. Hopefully with digestive enzymes this too will pass.

My port is high but tolerable for me.

I, too, thought the pain would never cease, however it did. I am so pleased that mine has healed those sensitive symptoms and my body has responded quite well to everything.

My weight and inches loss has been so wonderful and the restriction is perfect. I have had two fills at the OCC.

The doctors and the staff are exceptional and time has a way of healing us.

The doctors are there for you and unless you have an infection or the like, I trust you will in time be pleased with your decision.

This was not a breeze for me, however, I pampered and slowly but surely I feel like mysef these days.

Wishing you patience and feeling better with "baby steps"

Labella

I had VERY BAD port pain for months! I took my heating pad to bed every night. But, I can handle pain, so I rarely complained. It did not depress me because I was dropping the lbs. Two days ago, I bent over to get something out of a lower kitchen cabinet and I felt my port pinch. That day and all day yesterday was difficult. Every move I made I was hurting, it was like the porting was stabbing me. But, today I am fine. It is still a little swollen, but that is it.

Try to stay positive. I would not even think about removing your band at this point. Give it some time, I am sure it will ease up, mine did!

prolonged pain."

I am 60 years old. My neice is 50. We are both RNs. I had my surgery with Dr. Ortiz in Jan, she had her surgery here in Minnesota in Feb.--her ins paid for it. I breezed through. No pain at all, no complications, able to exercise right away, tolerated food well. She had severe abdominal pain after eating that sent her to her knees every time she ate, especially if she ate something cold. The pain was so bad that she had lots of follow up exams. They suspected a stone in the bile duct, even though she had gallbladder surgery years ago. She had an MRI, a million lab and blood tests. Everything came back negative. She missed a lot of work. This has lasted about 3 weeks, and is getting gradually better. She just got her first fill. The pain still has not resolved, but is at about 25% of what it was and is getting better still.

I guess my point is that there is sometimes a lot of unknown, with pain factors. The common thread for most all of these stories is that it always gets better tn time. I'd say, hang in there. You are at a tough time psychologically, not being able to eat real food yet. That makes a difference, too.

Hi - I'm four days post op and never EVER thought I would feel this kind of pain, despite all of the reasearch and reading I did. After the frist three days of horrible pain, I went to my surgeon and he checked my band...even though it was supposed to be empty (practice of my surgical group) it had 3cc of fluid in it. That combined with surgical swelling and nothing was getting down. I felt better but am by no means back in the saddle.

Faith - I totally feel your pain. So many of the sites, even the supposedly unbiased ones, treat this as if it is a walk in the park. It isn't. It is more than just a lifestyle change, it is a physiological change and that is what people don't seem to address. We go in thinking we will walk out fine with just a dramatically reduced appetite and instead we face a whole host of physical issues through recovery and beyond. I know it has only four days since my surgery, but I'm waiting for the day when I feel it would be worth it. But like you, I would have it taken out today if I could. Makes me sad...especialy because I had to pay for it myself in the states ($16,500) and am sure it would cost as much to take it out.

Hang in there faith, I will be thinking of you!

Cristy

weight.png

All I can say is try to hang in there! For anyone out there that has ever thought, "oh you are taking the easy way out". They are VASTLY mistaken! Surgery takes a toll on everyone differently and this band can be very fickle. These last 3 1/2 months have been the hardest time of my life!

Personally I was doing great a couple of days after surgery. I went home from the OCC the night of my surgery and then spent hours walking around the San Diego Zoo the next day and I thought, oh man this was so easy! Then I got on a plane to go home the next day and was out of those little pills they gave me at the clinic. I thought the gas pain was going to knock me out on the plane and they would have to do an emergency landing or something! I got home that night and then the shoulder pain set in and that pain was worse than recovering from my c-section the year before, it was BAD and I didn't want to take any pills that were stronger then tylenol because percocet tends to make me nausiated and I did NOT want to start throwing up.

Anyways, long story short, the immense shoulder pain took weeks/months to subside and I still get it every now and then when I eat too much.

It is up to you whether or not you get the band out in a couple of months but remember that you will have to go through that CO2 pain all over again.

Try and give yourself at least 6 months with the band, and try to remember why you got it in the first place. 6 months down the road you may not feel the same way you do now. And if you do, then have it taken out.

Good luck to you and your journey and please keep us updated!

hi there i was banded feb10,2009 down 25 lbs. i also had shoulder pain and port pain i slept with a heating pad on low and took lots of vicodin and tylenol for a month i alternated my vicodin with tylenol every 2 hrs. and actually took more than prescribed amount of vicodin and took it more often to help with the pain the first 3 wks. I am a nurse and would never abuse prescription meds but i am being honest and thats the only way i got thru the post op pain. I also had a hiatal hernia repair with the band my port site still hurts but if you wear a support band like an abdominal binder or i bought the yummie tummy shirts they offer support around the mid section and helps alot. i still hurt when i bend over but it will get better i promise small sacrifice for now dont give up.

prolonged pain."

Hello Newbie here-

all I can say is I hope all is well with you.

However reading through the thread & being a NB

I've read a few times that some think/feel that their port is too high, Knowing what you know now (If) And this is just a If. Would you have asked if it could have been placed say slightly lower? Or Maybe to the center more? I know it has to go where it has to But I was just I'm curious. I happened to be a belly sleeper so I was wondering will I be able to sleep on my belly? :-?

thanks

shiney

Hello Newbie here-

I've read a few times that some think/feel that their port is too high, Knowing what you know now (If) And this is just a If. Would you have asked if it could have been placed say slightly lower? Or Maybe to the center more? I know it has to go where it has to But I was just I'm curious. I happened to be a belly sleeper so I was wondering will I be able to sleep on my belly? :-?

thanks

shiney

Hey Shiney!

I was a belly sleeper too & it is not comfortable for me to sleep on my belly now. I try to, but after 15 or 20 minutes I roll back to my right side. However, some people say they put a pillow under them and they are able to sleep on their stomach. So, everyone is different! :)

Hello Newbie here-

thanks

shiney

Hello :-h I could live with sleeping on my side :D And I could deal with pain

Hello Newbie here-

thanks

shiney

Yes, I would have asked them to put it lower. But I don't think we have a choice, they line it up according to your anatomy and wherever they think is the best spot. I suggest you talk to the MDs and ask about that specifically. My port lines up with my bottom rib and happens to be right where I bend at the waist. I sleep on my right side a the moment cause I can't sleep on my stomach or my left side. Good luck in your research :) ~ Faith

prolonged pain."