Calorie Intake for successful weight loss

wendyh

:lb12:

I am very confused by all the different information I have read about the post op diet.

2-4 ounces, 3 times a day, or even 1 cup of food 3 times a day can not take you much above 700 - 800 calories if you are eating low fat and low sugar. I followed a one cup, 3 times a day diet a few years ago and the doctor told me it would be under 800 calories if you were following the restrictions.

I have lost 6 lbs since my surgery one month ago, (so that even includes the 21 day liquid phase) and I have never been able to exceed 800 calories a day. At my current weight I should be losing a pound every day and a half based on calories alone. The opinion I hear most often is that my body thinks it is in starvation mode and is hoarding. I should be getting 1000 - 1200 calories a day to run at the proper weight loss. I would welcome any ideas you may have and would love it if someone could post a sample of what they eat in a day.

Wendy

Hi, just me again. I would really appreciate any kind of information. I see lots of you have read my post and any ideas would be so appreciated. I am feeling really dejected after trying so hard and not losing any weight.

Just a few questions for you.....

Are you drinking enough water?

Are you exercising, if so, you may need more calories if you are over doing it. (so yes, starvation mode is a possibility)

Are you eating 1/3 of what you used to eat?

Are you taking metamucial or benefiber everyday?

Are you eating sugar? I notice I lose more when I stay away from simple carbs (except fruits). I get my carbs from beans, lentils, brown rice. I eat complex carbs 85% of the time.

http://www.weightlossforall.com/complex-carbs.htm

http://www.weightlossforall.com/simple-carbs.htm

Don't stress over it, could make it worse! :) Hope this helps.

Make sure you are getting a snack inbetween your meals, so your metabolism is continually moving. I will have a string cheese, slice of deli meat or half of a protein bar (non sugar).

Hey Wendy,

Sorry your post was kind of hidden down there.

I pretty much lost consistently and when I first had my band before restriction settled I watched my calories - but I finally learned if I just focused on eating three meals per day, of protein/veggies/fruits and if I could fit them carbs I lost consistently. I wasn’t trying to hit the 1200 calories per day like everyone does nowadays; I was focused on my bandster style meals and exercise. For a while there I was tight in the AM I’d have a protein shake (also to make sure I had enough protein, but never more than one per day and my goal was to eat my meals. I rarely ate over 1000 calories per day. I don’t know how you can when you’re truly eating bandster style.

We’re all different, so you kind of have to figure out what works for you. I had to lose 130 pounds and the more you have to lose it seems like we have a steadier faster pace than the lower BMI folks. I've been on maintenance for coming on a year now and I ate very clean food, really just the basics.

Protein: Eggs, tuna, Salmon, Chicken (dark meat) very thinly sliced beef. (Usually I soak my chicken and beef in broth so its softer and goes down easier

Veggies: what ever looks good cut up into small pieces

Fruit: same as veggies

Carbs: I normally would eat the brown wheat toast from Trader Joes; it goes down OK and is good for you.

I would try to eat cottage cheese and beans daily as a change up, (cottage cheese has high protein) and easy for us to eat if we're having a tight day.

I'd just have between a quarter cup of each (protein/veggies/fruits) and had a hard time fitting in the carbs. Never drink your calories, at times I would have a glass of wine but not more than 2 per week and I watched the liquids, those calories can jump up on you. (And widen you butte')

Get moven your body, when I first started exercising it was alone in my bedroom from dancing to belly dancing - whatever got me moving. I'm now into heavy duty cross fit and can do things I never imagined. (I have a 4 pack now- I use to have a very big kegger.... I'm not kidding, I'm pretty darn buff - surprised I've actually been able to do this) But start slow and have some fun so you start burning those calories and move you butte'

Let your world stop revolving around food and let life take over – its now just your fuel so you can have fun – but you should enjoy it. Food use to be my enemy – no longer, it is what keeps me strong and thin – as long as I eat right my body responds in amazing ways!

Best,

Lisa

Thanks for your response, Dana.

I try to drink water but I find it hard to get a lot in when you are not to drink for 30 minutes prior, not during the 30 minutes you eat and not for another hour after. I probably get 5-6 glasses a day. Does the drinking restriction apply with snacks as well?

I have not started any structured excercise program. I live in Canada and we have had snow non-stop. I want to get out walking first and then add to it. Let's pray for spring.

I used to eat very large portions. A 1/3 of that would probably still be a bit high. I am trying to keep it to 1 cup at each meal.

I tried a fibre supplement and had terrible gas and pain. What quantity of these do you take each day?

I do not use sugar and have had very little in simple carbs, but also have not had much in complex either. I eat mostly protein and some vegtables.

Do you plan your meals around quantity, calories, or protein / carb / vegtable portions?

I am just 4 weeks out from surgery. I don't feel much in the way of restriction anymore. I will probably have to wait until June if I want to go OCC for my fill. From what I have read it seems that is the preferred way to go.

I am trying to stay positive but somedays are just harder than others. I really appreciate your reply. It feels better to know there is others out there who have been there.

Wendy

:lb12:

I am very confused by all the different information I have read about the post op diet.

2-4 ounces, 3 times a day, or even 1 cup of food 3 times a day can not take you much above 700 - 800 calories if you are eating low fat and low sugar. I followed a one cup, 3 times a day diet a few years ago and the doctor told me it would be under 800 calories if you were following the restrictions.

I have lost 6 lbs since my surgery one month ago, (so that even includes the 21 day liquid phase) and I have never been able to exceed 800 calories a day. At my current weight I should be losing a pound every day and a half based on calories alone. The opinion I hear most often is that my body thinks it is in starvation mode and is hoarding. I should be getting 1000 - 1200 calories a day to run at the proper weight loss. I would welcome any ideas you may have and would love it if someone could post a sample of what they eat in a day.

Wendy

Wendy-

I have had the same confusion. I have dieted all my life and been on as low as 400 calorie a day diets which most would agree is not healthy. On every diet I tried, I always lose, but I always stop losing after a few months. I was banded a year ago, and have lost 75 lbs. but I stopped losing weight 5-6 months ago for no apparent reason. I even had a fill in late February, but no more weight loss. Now I am contemplating going back to 400 calories a day.

Even if we are in starvation mode, how long can that last? More than 6 months?!! Sounds ridiculous to me, but maybe that's the answer. I thought that getting the band would make me stop thinking this way, but here I am, stuck on calories AGAIN!

Maybe your body and mine are different than the norm. With exercise, enough water, eating protein first, etc. etc... there should be no reason not to drop a few pounds after such a long period. Perhaps some of us need to really cut the calories to make this work.

Luck to both of us--Shelly

pre-band 265

band date 4/3/09 250

current wght 190

Shelly, you lost 75 pounds in a year!! That's awesome and you beat what the average banster loses!! Congrats - sometimes part of it is expecting too much - we have bands we didn't have GBS and bands do move slower on the weight loss, however based on what I'm reading - we have longer "long term" success!

Don't sell yourself short - you in the upper class of bandsters!! You're doing awesome!!

Lisa

Have you ever tried the Qwave system? It`s a very easy-to-use online application that helps you with the daily calorie intake. You will be able to calculate calories consumed and track details on over 70 nutrients. And create a set of meal templates for your most common meals. You could read more on qwave.com.

I have a question to add....

I know that every one tries to exercise, but I do know that Dana and Jazzy have really been hitting it hard. I am just very curious, how many calories are you guys eating a day. Are you eating the 3 meals a day with no snacks or you snacking as well. I just cant seem to get my mind wrapped around the fact that you have to heat at least 1200 calories to loose the weight and if you are working out, this number should be much higher. Could you give us an example on an average "work out day" what you are doing, how many calories you are burning and how many calories you are eating. Also what are the calories you are eating.......

Thanks

Carrie

Hey Wendy,

Sorry your post was kind of hidden down there.

I pretty much lost consistently and when I first had my band before restriction settled I watched my calories - but I finally learned if I just focused on eating three meals per day, of protein/veggies/fruits and if I could fit them carbs I lost consistently. I wasn’t trying to hit the 1200 calories per day like everyone does nowadays; I was focused on my bandster style meals and exercise. For a while there I was tight in the AM I’d have a protein shake (also to make sure I had enough protein, but never more than one per day and my goal was to eat my meals. I rarely ate over 1000 calories per day. I don’t know how you can when you’re truly eating bandster style.

We’re all different, so you kind of have to figure out what works for you. I had to lose 130 pounds and the more you have to lose it seems like we have a steadier faster pace than the lower BMI folks. I've been on maintenance for coming on a year now and I ate very clean food, really just the basics.

Protein: Eggs, tuna, Salmon, Chicken (dark meat) very thinly sliced beef. (Usually I soak my chicken and beef in broth so its softer and goes down easier

Veggies: what ever looks good cut up into small pieces

Fruit: same as veggies

Carbs: I normally would eat the brown wheat toast from Trader Joes; it goes down OK and is good for you.

I would try to eat cottage cheese and beans daily as a change up, (cottage cheese has high protein) and easy for us to eat if we're having a tight day.

I'd just have between a quarter cup of each (protein/veggies/fruits) and had a hard time fitting in the carbs. Never drink your calories, at times I would have a glass of wine but not more than 2 per week and I watched the liquids, those calories can jump up on you. (And widen you butte')

Get moven your body, when I first started exercising it was alone in my bedroom from dancing to belly dancing - whatever got me moving. I'm now into heavy duty cross fit and can do things I never imagined. (I have a 4 pack now- I use to have a very big kegger.... I'm not kidding, I'm pretty darn buff - surprised I've actually been able to do this) But start slow and have some fun so you start burning those calories and move you butte'

Let your world stop revolving around food and let life take over – its now just your fuel so you can have fun – but you should enjoy it. Food use to be my enemy – no longer, it is what keeps me strong and thin – as long as I eat right my body responds in amazing ways!

Best,

Lisa

Wow, that is encouraging! I got banded 5 days ago... I live in Snohomish.. so happy to read your inspiring story. Can I ask... or inquire.. I'm worried the skinny me will be different from the me now.. besides physically... any advice? Do people treat you differently? personally and professionally? just wondering.

I have a question to add....

I know that every one tries to exercise, but I do know that Dana and Jazzy have really been hitting it hard. I am just very curious, how many calories are you guys eating a day. Are you eating the 3 meals a day with no snacks or you snacking as well. I just cant seem to get my mind wrapped around the fact that you have to heat at least 1200 calories to loose the weight and if you are working out, this number should be much higher. Could you give us an example on an average "work out day" what you are doing, how many calories you are burning and how many calories you are eating. Also what are the calories you are eating.......

Thanks

Carrie

I go to SparkPeople.com to track my nutrition and fitness and has made a major change in my life right now and THIS is what got me started to lose the weight again. I've lost 14lbs in the 8 weeks since I've started on the Biggest Loser challenge and which I am now leading the team with another person. I average between 1200 to 1550 calories a day and burn between 1695 to 1970 calories a day. It all depends on what I eat for the day and what exercises I do as well.

For what exactly I eat...I added to my post "61 pounds gone...Forever" (the 2nd page) and I plan out my meals once a week, over the weekend, and that is what I eat for the week. This helps with the economy and not waiting for the last minute to decide what to eat. Planning ahead helps me and in some days, I will add a snack in. I use to try to figure out my daily calories and would get frustrated and would be plateauing a lot. But using SparkPeople's trackers, for me, make it SO MUCH EASIER!! I love it and as well the fitness tracker helps me. With both of these tools, I can SEE where I would need to add or delte any foods or fitness for the day and I would do this weekly and I am all set for the week!

For exercises, well I've learned A LOT on this and so, so, so grateful for SparkPeople to assist me on this. I do strength training with or without weights EVERY OTHER DAY, and do cardio every day. I do not go to the gym and I am pretty active on my own and in my home. I walk anywhere between 5 to 7 miles a day (3 - 4 miles walking in front of my TV using Leslie Sansone's "Walk the Pounds Away" video EVERY morning - one of her tapes goes with me on vacation/RVing too!!). After work, I walk outside for another 3 or 4 miles, depending on the weather and time of day. I do Turbo Jam, Billy Banks' Bootcamp (this one is a sweater!!), Slim in 6, 10-minute Trainer and other videos. I have a stair step machine and use it outside for a refreshing scenery, jump roping and jumping jacks, Tai Chi and some Taek Wan Do, Pilates. I TOTALLY LOVE watching FitTV ~ Gilad and Cathe (between 3 am to 5 am in the mornings). This list can go on and on but I think you get the idea. I am forever changing and some days I would copy the same cardio from day to day then mix it up again.

The thing to remember is to have a choice to do whatever you like and try different exercises to see what YOU like, not what someone tells you to do...

What motivating me currently? Watching the weekly Biggest Loser on Tuesday evenings and apply the attitude in doing the Biggest Loser Challenge teams I am currently in on SparkPeople. But, this is my motivation...what are yours? I've a goal and I am focusing on it, not on food anymore. Like Lisa says, live your life!

PS ~ if anyone is interested in doing the BL challenge, the team is opening up until Monday for new members and then we close the team for privacy for the 8 week challenge. Send me an PM with your email address.

NO MATTER WHAT...I would never have done any weight loss without my band! I can honestly say, if I had not the band, I would not have lost the 65 lbs thus far and proabably would have gained some. I LOVE MY BAND!!! Thank you Dr O!!!

Thank you Jazzy for the reply, you and others on this forum, I think of as our "forum moms". I knew I could count on you for an AWESOME reply!

I have started tracking my calories, as I stated on another post this morning, I was shocked at the calories I was eating. I did not think I was anywhere near 1200 a day. I also started using sparkpeople after you told me about the sight. They have wonderful suggestions and GREAT food ideas. I have started a book of receips that I have printed from there websight. I have been walking 2 miles at least everyother day and I think hubby and I are about to up it to 2.5, maybe 3 miles at a time. The days in between we do weights and abs. I have started watching the fit channel as well, the cardio blast everymorning at 6 is AWESOME!

Thank you again for your suggestions and comments, you are WONDERFUL!

Carrie~

Wow! great info here....in these posts!

How do I save the info to my member page??

Help!

Rhonda

Hi Rhonda...ok, up on the top right side, just below the NEW TOPIC button, is another button "OPTIONS". Click on it and you will have a few options to track, email, print or download this topic. I normally would print it and put it in my binder for lapband for future use. I've also would copy right on the post and paste it on Excel and keep a 'book' of infor that way too, in case I didn't want to print anything.

Hope this helps you...Jazzy!!

• 3 weeks later...

Try to find a site that will calculate your BMR (basal metabolic rate). It is just an estimate of what you burn each day doing normal living functions. Then remember 1 pound of fat is equal to 3500 calories. You must have negative 3500 calories to lose 1 pound. This means that if your basal metabolic rate is around 1400/day and you are eating 900 calories a day then your daily deficit is 500 calories. A negative of 500 calories a day for a total of 7 days (a week) will allow you to lose 1 pound. I think the biggest thing to remember that those little nibbles we take of something during the day really add up. So do liquids. I had no idea how many caloires I was consuming until I:

1. Looked up the calorie content of everything ( you would be surprised at how high calorie some "healthy" things are)

2. Accounted for EVERYTHING that I put in my mouth (gum, little nibbles, liquids) and put it into a calorie tracking system each day

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I wanted to bring this one back up, alot of great info about this. This is one subject that I just cant get down. The calorie intake from person to person, I am sure is different. I just wish I could find that magic number! I understand alot of us here are 1200 calories a day and some are different. Alot of us has been told 800 a day and some higher, just confusing to me!

Carrie

I wanted to bring this one back up, alot of great info about this. This is one subject that I just cant get down. The calorie intake from person to person, I am sure is different. I just wish I could find that magic number! I understand alot of us here are 1200 calories a day and some are different. Alot of us has been told 800 a day and some higher, just confusing to me!

Carrie

IT IS CONFUSING CARRIE BUT FOR ME, IT JUST DEPENDS ON HOW I FEEL. SOMEDAYS I CAN DO WITH LESS, SOME DAYS MORE DEPENDING ON WHAT I'M DOING OR AGAIN HOW I FEEL

IT IS CONFUSING CARRIE BUT FOR ME, IT JUST DEPENDS ON HOW I FEEL. SOMEDAYS I CAN DO WITH LESS, SOME DAYS MORE DEPENDING ON WHAT I'M DOING OR AGAIN HOW I FEEL

I think I am so hung up on trying to get the "proper" calories, dont want to eat to little, dont want to hold on to my weight, dont want to eat to much, not over 1200-1500 calories. I think I am going to to take the advise that someone gave me and that is to eat when im hungry. Im gonna do this and stay off the scales for a couple of weeks and see how that works....

Carrie

Shelly, you lost 75 pounds in a year!! That's awesome and you beat what the average banster loses!! Congrats - sometimes part of it is expecting too much - we have bands we didn't have GBS and bands do move slower on the weight loss, however based on what I'm reading - we have longer "long term" success!

Don't sell yourself short - you in the upper class of bandsters!! You're doing awesome!!

Lisa

Hello...

I am new to the site, but have been banded 1 year. I was banded lost 50 lbs and was happy with wt loss...the band slipped and I had to have it removed. I gained all wt back plus 10lbs. I was re-banded and have lost maybe 10 lbs. i have had several fills and unfills...I think I am afraid of slippage again. I have had my thyroid removed (10 years ago) and wonder if this makes it even more difficult to lose the weight? Anyway, I have just sort of given up on losing weight. I weigh 185 and am 5'2.

I am considereing going in for a fill and trying again...but feel a bit defeated. I am currently unable to eat solids in the am, but can basically eat what I want (not alot though) of most foods in PM.

Looking for support and advice...Thanks!

Hello...

I am new to the site, but have been banded 1 year. I was banded lost 50 lbs and was happy with wt loss...the band slipped and I had to have it removed. I gained all wt back plus 10lbs. I was re-banded and have lost maybe 10 lbs. i have had several fills and unfills...I think I am afraid of slippage again. I have had my thyroid removed (10 years ago) and wonder if this makes it even more difficult to lose the weight? Anyway, I have just sort of given up on losing weight. I weigh 185 and am 5'2.

I am considereing going in for a fill and trying again...but feel a bit defeated. I am currently unable to eat solids in the am, but can basically eat what I want (not alot though) of most foods in PM.

Looking for support and advice...Thanks!

These band slipping stories scare the heck out of me and I am hearing more and more of them..the stats on slips can't be right. It seems to happen a lot more than doctors say. Were you banded by Dr. Ortiz? This is the site for his patients but anyone and everyone is welcome and we are so glad to have you!!! If you could share what led up to your slip, that would be great. I'm sure we can all learn from your story. I hope having a place to come for support will be helpful for you now that you have this second chance. I know it has helped me a lot.

aSabrina:)

Carrie

Carrie, whatever you are doing, keep doing it `cause it's working! You are doing this the RIGHT way and you're doing GREAT! You are right though, some of us can't afford to eat many calories without plateauing or, worse, gaining. My mom can eat and eat and eat and has been 130 pounds her entire adult life. Seriously, she goes to buffets in Reno and fills her plate sky-high three times while bigger ladies watch in disgust saying "bitch" under their breath, haha.

If I eat more than 1000 calories per day, I gain. Eating about 1000 I maintain, and eating about 600 I seem to lose. It seems so unfair, but I have to count all the other blessings in my life- I will take struggling with my weight continually over other hands that I could have been dealt. Look around the world and our struggles to be slim seem so trivial.

Sabrina:)

I think the numbers we see on slippage are most likely correct – based on what I’ve read slippage (where the band has to be removed) occurs in less than 5%. If you think of it – with 100 people on the forum could have, say four of us had a band that slipped and had to be surgically removed? I don’t think we’re there yet.

But there is slippage where the stomach wall can slip up through the band. It causes an hourglass effect with a bulge above the band and extra stomach tissue with in the band and these don’t normally have to be resolved through surgery; they can be mild and resettle down with a liquid diet and then focus on following the rules. We really have to come to terms with the fact that this is s tool, we need to use it wisely.

Will things happen and we’ve done everything right and it slips – yes – but the truth is most slips likely lies in the fact that at times we don’t follow the rules. Now don’t think I’m up on a high horse – because I mess up all the time – been lucky so far and want to beat myself silly when I do, I never want to chance going back to how I use to be. And I hate myself sometimes for doing things that might jeopardize my band.

Here’s the most important piece I want to focus on – we have to deal with slippage – mortality with the band is extremely low – mortality with other surgeries is about what it is for our slippage rate…. Something to think about.