Do I need a fill?

hopefullyskinny

I got banded by Dr Ortiz on April 10th. When I spoke to Dr. Martinez, he said their intention with the surgery is that you will never need a fill. I have been on liquid diet now for 20 days and I do feel full now so I am guessing I will not need a fill? However, I read everyone's blogs and see that everyone does follow up and get a fill. What are the thoughts around this?

If you need a fill, go get a fill. If you don't need a fill, then life is good and don't worry about it. Most people do need fills eventual y, especially if they need to lose a great deal of weight. The stomach also has fat around it, and as someone loses weight, the fat around the stomach goes away making the band looser. To say the goal is to never need a fill is perhaps an optimistic approach.

At the very least, most people find it helpful when they reach the 6-8 week mark to go back to OCC for a follow up visit. They'll do the flouro and check that the band is in the proper place. If you need a fill at the time they can give it to you and if not, they can send you on your way secure in the knowledge that everything's ok.

you've only been banded for 3 weeks. it's far too soon to even think about fills. i was told by Ortiz and Dr. Miranda to get my first fill 6-8 weeks post-op (i went at 6 weeks) and i'm getting my second fill on saturday. ideally, it would great to never need a fill. however, you most likely will need several. you're just about to start solids, so practice eating like a bandster right now. chewing a lot, eating small bites, monitoring your portions and not drinking with you food. give your band a chance to heal. keep in mind that every body is different. don't compare yourself with others. also, re: what dr. martinez said, the docs at OCC say that to every patient. they are describing an ideal and a hope, not necesarily the reality.

I got banded by Dr Ortiz on April 10th. When I spoke to Dr. Martinez, he said their intention with the surgery is that you will never need a fill. I have been on liquid diet now for 20 days and I do feel full now so I am guessing I will not need a fill? However, I read everyone's blogs and see that everyone does follow up and get a fill. What are the thoughts around this?

HI sweetie! WELCOME to Bandland! If you are feeling full then you are doing it right!

I've yet to meet anyone who hasn't had a fill after their first 6 to 8 weeks post op. And I've never been told about 'their intention' of never having a fill either. That is what keeps the business going. Unless you have a different kind of band than I do, that is awesome.

Since you've had recent surgery, you are still in the healing stage and basically until 3 months post surgery. This is the 'recovery' time for your body to adjust with the band. If you are diligent in following the food plan and you have a strong will power, you will surpass the difficult days during the 21 day post op plan. The same goes for the solid stage too.

Everyone has their own threshold of willpower and band power. If it gets too difficult for you to stay on track, then you might need a fill. The same as for plateauing, you might be doing everything ok but not bulging one way or the other and you've tried other options to get going, you might need a fill. You can also contact Dr. Miranda for assistance if you need it and she can guide you.

Hope this helps and good luck with your weight loss!! Jazzy!!

My daughter and I had our first fill(s) at the 8-week mark (at OCC). We both have had the lap-band 14-months and we both have lost about the same amount of weight. Here is the difference, as I see it. She started out at 185 and is now in the 130's, which is her goal weight. She has only had the one fill. I started out at 232 and now I am (stuck) in the 180's. I have had 2 fills, with a third scheduled in a week. She is at a point now where she eats what appears to me to be a normal amount of food and is maintaining her weight. I agree with Clynn, I think my daughter may have lost enough weight to provide a natural loosening of her band. She is at her goal weight and has never had issues with PBing, "too tight", etc. I think I need another adjustment to continue on in my weight loss, hence the scheduled 3rd fill. One additional thing I have noticed. I have been hanging around this same weight since the first of the year, yet on Sunday evening I was able to fit into a pair of jeans that 2 months ago I couldn't get buttoned. So having been at the same number, I feel that my body has adjusted/shifted/rearranged? some weight so that I am a somewhat smaller size. Whatever happened, I'll take it!!

It would be awesome to not need any fills at all, because unless you live in TJ or southern CA, you have to do some addional work to either travel back to OCC or find a provider to work with you for your fills. For many, the aftercare becomes a major endeavor.

Our best to you as you continue to heal and begin your lap-band journey!

• 1 month later...
HI sweetie! WELCOME to Bandland! If you are feeling full then you are doing it right!

I've yet to meet anyone who hasn't had a fill after their first 6 to 8 weeks post op. And I've never been told about 'their intention' of never having a fill either. That is what keeps the business going. Unless you have a different kind of band than I do, that is awesome.

Since you've had recent surgery, you are still in the healing stage and basically until 3 months post surgery. This is the 'recovery' time for your body to adjust with the band. If you are diligent in following the food plan and you have a strong will power, you will surpass the difficult days during the 21 day post op plan. The same goes for the solid stage too.

Everyone has their own threshold of willpower and band power. If it gets too difficult for you to stay on track, then you might need a fill. The same as for plateauing, you might be doing everything ok but not bulging one way or the other and you've tried other options to get going, you might need a fill. You can also contact Dr. Miranda for assistance if you need it and she can guide you.

Hope this helps and good luck with your weight loss!! Jazzy!!

Congrats on your weight loss ! I'm only 6 days in, and i don't like that I'm actually feeling hunger pains, and stomach growling, I had hoped that part of life would be over, I'm doing my clear broth, and liqued yogurts, but still get hungry. How was your experience in the very begining ?

Congrats on your weight loss ! I'm only 6 days in, and i don't like that I'm actually feeling hunger pains, and stomach growling, I had hoped that part of life would be over, I'm doing my clear broth, and liqued yogurts, but still get hungry. How was your experience in the very begining ?

Hunger pangs are normal. Matter of fact I was afraid of PBing and slipping something up at first so I didnt eat and the hungerpangs were so bad they were like intense cramping. Eat girl! your body needs nutrition! just make sure you feed it nutrition, not pizza. LOL :) MMMMMMMM

The lapband is a tool that will Help you to eat smaller amounts and fell full, its goal is not so you dont eat at all. eating is part of life, but with the lapband we no longer are a slave to it. With the right adjustments you will see your mini meals lasting you longer and longer, first you will be hungery every 2 hrs or so. the goal 4hrs. It takes time to find that balance.

follow the drs orders. I use he broth to make some great egg flower soup. YUMMMM