So it's been a week - Honesty

(((((((((((((((((((((Hugs Everyone)))))))))))))))))))))

I wanted to just post how my week has been. I was banded a week ago at the OCC. My first week banded has been interesting. Lots of things I never expected.

1. I am not hungry. Not at all. In addition, I have no desire to chew. Then again, I did give up gum several months ago.

2. Mental hunger....now that's a different story. I should qualify this by saying that I am surrounded by stimuli because I have a cooking show, so it's my job to study food...aka I watch the food channel several hours a day. In fact, I work up about 3 am the morning we were going to be discharged and watched the food network in my room for about 4 hours while everyone else slept.

So back to mental hunger, despite being surrounded by stimuli mental hunger hasn't been uncontrollable at all. I'm not going to lie and try to come off as if I've never wanted to taste something but it's not something that's hard to get past.

I also find that the longer I'm on my post op diet, the less I think about food. Weird, you'd think it would be the opposite.

3. The pain. I haven't been comfortable ever moment I've been home but I will say that the pain is on a scale of 1 to 10, a .5. I know it's there when it hits, but it's just a nuisance at this point. Kind of a low, dull pain in the top of my left chest. Other bandsters describe it as shoulder pain.

I have learned something about my body and the gas pain. If I don't take princess sips forget it. The pain comes immediately even if I've only gained an ounce or two. If I take princess sips, I seem to be able to take about 5 in a row without putting my glass down. If I try to take up to 10, the pain hits immediately.

If I'm taking a sip or two at a time and putting my glass down after a certain amount of time I hiccup once. I've learned that a small hiccup means one thing. GAS IS COMING...FAST...STOP WHAT EVERY YOU ARE DOING...NOW.

So that's what I am doing now. I used to try to push through, I've learned that pushing through doesn't make you a hero...it's far better to wimp out.

4. Feeling Light Headed. About 5 days in, I started to feel light headed. I was not prepared to get so far and then all of asudden feel ill and weak.

Today my husband made me a 28 ounce protein shake for breakfast. (Who was he kidding?) I drank a couple of ounces for breakfast and stopped when I hiccuped. I put the rest in the fridge.

My daughter and I then went to a Mother Daughter Brunch which was also a benefit for her school. I put on the jeans I wore on the plane down for the surgery which fit me perfectly the day of the surgery, and I wore a bra for the first time since the surgery as well. It's also the first time I put on my jeans. Holy smokes...now I know what it looks like when jeans fit. (My husband insisted he thought they looked too big, but I think that's what jeans are supposed to look like honestly. I am about 225 lbs today (I'm not weighing so I could be off by a pound or two). Obviously I'm no thin by any standards, but believe it or not, wearning my jeans today, there were no LINES on my body. No buldges, no fat roll overs. It was "sobering" for lack of a better term to see what I looked like when my clothes fit. I don't think I've worn clothes that have fit in years.

lol

Anyway at the brunch I ordered an iced tea and vegetable soup. I asked the waiter to strain it before serving it to me. I had 5 or six spoonfulls (princess sips...3 per spoonful) and about 10 slips of the iced tea. I hada hiccup (that's when I made the connection). I stopped, pushed the food away and spent the rest of the brunch just talking with the other moms. I felt like I was on the Biggest Loser when they do the food temptation. But trust me, watching 30 girls, k-8 eat whatever junk they want isn't appealing...they don't know what appealing is. Blek. Chocolate syrup on gummy bears. Blek blek blek.

These kids just don't know what's "good". hehehe

5. Last night. Okay. I'm not going to lie. Last night was horrible horrible horrible. I haven't been sleeping (I don't normally sleep well so that's not unusual). I was dizzy, fuzzy and just miserable. Even dizzy when I was lying down. The room was spinning. I honestly said to myself, "Am I crazy? Is this really worth it?" (See number 4.) It didn't take long to get my answer.

6. Intimacy. My husband is happy. He had to wait a week, but he was a good sport.

7. I'm feeling much better today now that I've learned to listen to my body.

xo

Have a wonderful weekend everyone.

Whoops...I forgot to mention.

8. Returning to work. In addition to the cooking show which isn't my job because I don't get paid it's just more of a volunteer position to bring programming to a small cable station I'm a computer consultant. I didn't schedule any contracts because I'm getting ready to move in a few weeks and relocate so it was a good time to just take a break. However, I was suppossed to shoot a cooking show episode last Tuesday. Five days afer surgery. I spoke with my producer on Sunday and we decided to forgo the shoot and postpone it for a few weeks. I would have been able to have done it next Tuesday I'm sure but I share the show with my cousin and she is leaving for Hawaii shortly and we didn't want to shoot too close to her vacation.

I do know that many people who were banded with me did return to work after several days.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR COMMENTS IT DOES HELP SO MUCH. ONLY 10 MORE DAYS TO GO, I CAN DO THIS, I CAN'T WAIT TO GET RID OF MY FAT CLOTHES FOREVER

THANKS AGAIN TRACEY

Night time gets me. Am I do at times get hungry, But I also need to drink more

Oh And I still have gas, my port is sore. BUT all in All I'm a happy person - The happiest I've been in a long time

Night time gets me. Am I do at times get hungry, But I also need to drink more

Oh And I still have gas, my port is sore. BUT all in All I'm a happy person - The happiest I've been in a long time

((((((((((((((((Lena))))))))))))))))

That is so wonderful to hear!

Hey Robbyn and Shiney!

So glad you guys are healing and coping with the post-op. I know it is hard because of the pain, but be careful to monitor your fluids and protein intake. The lack of either of those two things will often cause the weakness/dizziness you are talking about. All in all it sounds like both of you are doing great!

Thank you for the update - I have had a bad case of insomnia these past few nights as my surgery is this week and the closer I get, the less sleep I'm getting. I've been up for about an hour now while the rest of the fam is fast asleep... *sigh* .... I really can't wait to start this new journey - I AM SOOOO READY!!!!!!, but of course there is always the fear of the unknown. So I'm very grateful for your honesty and your ability to follow-up with posting with hopes in helping others who are right behind you. So a HUGE thank you!!!! And I'll start practicing my *princess sips* now and I'll remember to watch-out for the burps too! :rolleyes:

Hey ksk!

I know it is a mix of emotions. I hope your insomnia is due to excitement and not fear. Like so many of us, once you are on the other side of this you will wonder why you were worried. All here are pulling for you to be a success with this--and if you are going to OCC you could not be in better hands. We're all excited for you!!

Thank you Tootsie! The insomnia is mostly from complete and utter EXCITEMENT (with a small dash of "OMG - What if...") But mostly EXCITEMENT :lol: As with everyone else, this is a big step for me - One I truly believe is long overdue, and I just can't wait to be where you are - "On the other side"... And yes, I'm going to the OCC, but reading everyone's comments here has been very comforting. I'm really trying to stay focused on all the good that I hope will come out of this for me, and of course my family... But like you and others, I hope to be posting to support new bandsters on their way. Thank you so much for taking the time that you do to help people like me! ><'

Glad you are doing well! I was shocked as well that I wasn't hungry at all after the surgery - about day 11 or 12 it started to become noticable and by 15 I was dying for food lol

Good luck sounds like u are doing great so far!!

Hey Robbyn and Shiney!

So glad you guys are healing and coping with the post-op. I know it is hard because of the pain, but be careful to monitor your fluids and protein intake. The lack of either of those two things will often cause the weakness/dizziness you are talking about. All in all it sounds like both of you are doing great!

(((((((((((((((((Tootsie)))))))))))))))))))

Thank you so much for confirming that. I strongly suspected that but it's good to have confirmation. I'm really going to work today on making sure as Jazzy says, I sip sip sip all day in small amounts to stay hydrated.

Thank you for the update - I have had a bad case of insomnia these past few nights as my surgery is this week and the closer I get, the less sleep I'm getting. I've been up for about an hour now while the rest of the fam is fast asleep... *sigh* .... I really can't wait to start this new journey - I AM SOOOO READY!!!!!!, but of course there is always the fear of the unknown. So I'm very grateful for your honesty and your ability to follow-up with posting with hopes in helping others who are right behind you. So a HUGE thank you!!!! And I'll start practicing my *princess sips* now and I'll remember to watch-out for the burps too! :rolleyes:

((((((((((((((((KSK))))))))))))))))))

I'm excited for you. I think now that the surgery is over and I'm still not sleeping I'm going to get an over the counter sleep aid. I hate the thought of that, but I know that if I get enough sleep, I'll feel 100% better.

I'm so excited about your pending surgery. I can't wait to hear how you're doing and get skinny with you.

xo

Glad you are doing well! I was shocked as well that I wasn't hungry at all after the surgery - about day 11 or 12 it started to become noticable and by 15 I was dying for food lol

Hey Christy!

Your new picture is AWESOME! Love love love it!!

Hi Robbyn,

It sounds like you are doing well. I really understand about not being really hungry. Every now and then I end up with a growling stomach, but other than that I have to make myself eat.

Yesterday I took my daughter to a function and before we went I went and bought myself some chicken noodle soup without the noodles & Chicken so I could have something to eat as well. (there was no soup and nothing there I could eat) Anyways I really had a hard time watching some of the people eat the meatballs and marshmallow salad and some other gooey looking thing that I am not sure what it was and really did not want to know either. The good news is they did get subway sandwiches (a bit healthier) but wow, them people can eat. lol...

Other than that, been good. I was given the OK to exercise from the Doc. Very excited.

Hugs,

Kristi

Yeah, the post-op was weird. I wasn't hungry for like the first 12 days, then the last week I was hungry!!! And it wasn't head hunger. And I feel you on the fatigue/dizziness/fuzziness, there really was nothing to be done. Someone told me that's your body's way of preserving your "living" functions when it's not really getting enough nutrition. And there was no way I was able to eat even 1000 calories on liquids. Congratulations!

Hi Robby!

Sounds like you're doing great! And congrats on the jeans fitting. Many people are extra swollen after the surgery (I was), and so imagine how well you're going to fit into them once you heal from the incisions!

If you're feeling dizzy, you might be dehydrated and/or suffering from low blood sugar. I HIGHLY recommend gatorade for both purposes. For the first week, I could barely drink any amount of liquid (even water), so gatorade was really helpful. I mixed a bit of benefibre into it and even warmed it up, and the results were yummy.

You're going to be so glad you did this. It is a lifestyle change for sure.

And OMG the Food Network! It's definitely a hunger-inducing stimulus! Especially the cake-making shows and the various challenges and competitions they've got going on. I don't envy you!

-Vangirl

I have 4 more days until I can eat and man am I ready!!! My tummy rumbles so loudly that everyone is like, "What was that?" I stopped losing weight after the first week so either I overdid it with the creamy soups or my body is in starvation mode. Even when it's time to eat I am sticking to the pre-op diet until I get my first fill (shake for breakfast, shake for lunch and lean cuisine). I refuse regain any of that weight I lost.

I have 4 more days until I can eat and man am I ready!!! My tummy rumbles so loudly that everyone is like, "What was that?" I stopped losing weight after the first week so either I overdid it with the creamy soups or my body is in starvation mode. Even when it's time to eat I am sticking to the pre-op diet until I get my first fill (shake for breakfast, shake for lunch and lean cuisine). I refuse regain any of that weight I lost.

Wow, this is what I am starting to go through. My weightloss has not changed since Friday and my tummy is now starting to rumble more and more.

I am still on liquids and mushies and I am ready to eat so bad. I get to eat foods in 8 days, well, a week from tomorrow. Soo READY... :)

It is difficult trying to find new things to eat when you are on liquids and mushies.. I have pureed meats and soups, and it is so boring now....

Anyone have any new ideas for mushies/liquids?

Hugs,

Kristi

Wow, this is what I am starting to go through. My weightloss has not changed since Friday and my tummy is now starting to rumble more and more.

I am still on liquids and mushies and I am ready to eat so bad. I get to eat foods in 8 days, well, a week from tomorrow. Soo READY... :)

It is difficult trying to find new things to eat when you are on liquids and mushies.. I have pureed meats and soups, and it is so boring now....

Anyone have any new ideas for mushies/liquids?

Hugs,

Kristi

(((((((((((((((((((Kristi)))))))))))))))))))) and ((((((((((((((((Bell Curve)))))))))))))))))))

I so hear you! I had my surgery at the OCC. Dr. Miranda gave me instructions that said "If you can't drink it...don"t eat it." I haven't done this "yet" but since Campbells makes a drinkable soup (Soup at Hand) so I assume it's okay.

Have either of you heated your apple juice for hot apple cider?

Hi Robby!

Sounds like you're doing great! And congrats on the jeans fitting. Many people are extra swollen after the surgery (I was), and so imagine how well you're going to fit into them once you heal from the incisions!

If you're feeling dizzy, you might be dehydrated and/or suffering from low blood sugar. I HIGHLY recommend gatorade for both purposes. For the first week, I could barely drink any amount of liquid (even water), so gatorade was really helpful. I mixed a bit of benefibre into it and even warmed it up, and the results were yummy.

You're going to be so glad you did this. It is a lifestyle change for sure.

And OMG the Food Network! It's definitely a hunger-inducing stimulus! Especially the cake-making shows and the various challenges and competitions they've got going on. I don't envy you!

-Vangirl

((((((((((((((((((((Vangirl))))))))))))))))))))))

I am feeling so much better. No gas for about two days...but I'm still dizzy. I'm just taking it easy and sipping sipping sipping all day. I did get gatoraide, that has helped too.

I'm gradually starting to feel normal again. I am starting to think I'm not crazy for doing this. lol

((((((((((((((((((((Christy))))))))))))))))))))

Thank you so much for your post. I've made it to day 11. Whoooohoooo half way. It's a miracle!

I was just like you. I had a little bit of nerves, but most of it was just an eagerness and a "OK, let's do THIS!" attitude. I read for hours in this forum and by the time it was time to go, I felt very comfortable with my decision and was ready to rock. I was banded a day early and was so excited. When I got to OCC I felt like I had been there before b/c of looking at their website so much. It was great!

Good luck! You will do great!